Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make a Tanfoglio run with hammer spring X Y or Z

1. Bury your primers. Flush is a light strike waiting to happen.

2. No. I mean it. Stop looking at gun problems when your primers are just barely below flush or even with the case head. It doesn't matter if you Glock/M&P/XD liked your ammo, CZs and Tanfos are going to choke on it.

3. It's not your firing pin. Or your disconnector needing whackadoodled with a dremel. Put the gun down, step away from the punches and hammer, and go seat your damn primers deeper.

4. Dillon 650s suck at seating primers. I love mine too, but it's still true.

IMG_0473.thumb.JPG.42626a2711e28d260e9f0f9266b44d61.JPG

Background: light-strike city with a 14 pound PD spring in the back. Those are CCI. Even the 16.5lb EGD Medium spring didn't ignite them 100%

Foreground: Shimmed the seating bracket on the 650 and tried a batch of Winchesters. Those are all seated .005" - .008" below flush. Ran like a Swiss watch with a 13 pound PD spring.

The difference between the two is much more obvious than the photo shows. If they aren't obviously recessed into the case, they're high. Even with CCIs, although those are physically taller so they won't be quite as far down into the hole.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

11 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You can adjust the height of the ram so it sits higher my primers are flat before I shoot them!  They show the rigs from the ram too

1 minute ago, kneelingatlas said:

You can adjust the height of the ram so it sits higher my primers are flat before I shoot them!  They show the rigs from the ram too

The dillon 650 seating ram is non adjustable per Dillon and per my own disassembly to examine it.

Fill me in!

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The dillon 650 seating ram is non adjustable per Dillon and per my own disassembly to examine it.

Fill me in!

+1.  Other than a thin washer under the black bracket, what can you do?? Inquiring minds want to know.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

2. No. I mean it. Stop looking at gun problems when your primers are just barely below flush or even with the case head. It doesn't matter if you Glock/M&P/XD liked your ammo, CZs and Tanfos are going to choke on it.

3. It's not your firing pin. Or your disconnector needing whackadoodled with a dremel. Put the gun down, step away from the punches and hammer, and go seat your damn primers deeper.

So.... ARy must be spinning right now.

Who knew the go to solution is a Lee Toadmaster or a Ten-fiddy ?  lol.

19 minutes ago, johnbu said:

So.... ARy must be spinning right now.

Who knew the go to solution is a Lee Toadmaster or a Ten-fiddy ?  lol.

The Loadmaster is where it's at. I keep trying to tell everyone. Adjustable priming, as balls deep as you want... or NEED. 800 rounds an hour, listening to my wife talk about her day at work. 

20161003_164749.jpg

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Fill me in!

I just got home, ran in the garage to look and I'm all jacked up! :blush: I was picturing the 550 primer ram.  Sorry to get your hopes up

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Fill me in!

You're right. I looked at machining a longer ram... not possible. Then a bracket, but cost effectiveness vs the shim was pointless.

51 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I just got home, ran in the garage to look and I'm all jacked up! :blush: I was picturing the 550 primer ram.  Sorry to get your hopes up

You hadn't. I was simply being polite about wondering when you were going to be proven wrong. :D 

Like I said, I stripped my press apart looking for better options than a shim.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

20 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This just brought a tear to my eye.... im printing this out and hanging it on the shop wall!

3 hours ago, Nathanb said:

The 650 is a great press. It just needs some enhancements. MM can you post how you shimmed yours?  I've got some time today to screw with mine

IMG_2744.JPG.defad0ea61b36e87436696775fc827c5.JPG

Look on the frame of the press (down low on the right side) for this component.

Loosen the two allen head bolts visible in this photo.

Cock the black L shaped piece upward as far as you can and slide a small washer or something similar underneath it to brace it in that position (yellow arrow) 

Tighten the bolts back down.

Your priming ram will stick up through the shell plate a bit higher, so you'll need to lower the handle just slightly in order to rotate it by hand from now on, but otherwise operation is identical.

7 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

This just brought a tear to my eye.... im printing this out and hanging it on the shop wall!

Right next to the sign that says -

Labor rate:

* Standard rate, $85/hr

* If you want to watch, $125/hr

* If you tried to do it yourself first, $175/hr

:-)  :-)  :-)

3 minutes ago, Tanfastic said:

Right next to the sign that says -

Labor rate:

* Standard rate, $85/hr

* If you want to watch, $125/hr

* If you tried to do it yourself first, $175/hr

:-)  :-)  :-)

Hahahaha, yes....... and $200 if you call me to ask for help then tell me you dont think it'll work because you read different online.......