Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Mainspring weight

Dutchman195

So those of you that know, I've been having issue after issue with my STI DVC Classic in 40. Most recently had another out of battery detonation, sent the gun to STI and then it came back, but now I'm having light strikes. Same ammo, same primer, same batch even that worked perfectly before. 

I have a 19lbs mainspring in the gun now. Using Winchester primers. Wondering if somehow the out of battery det jacked up the mainspring? Thoughts or recommendations? replace the spring and keep going after it until it starts acting a fool again?

Single stack isn't the division where you have a whole lot of extra rounds to eject when you are racking the slide. 

Hello: Check the firing pin hole for junk and buy a Dawson extended firing pin. You may have a titanium one in there that got bent. I would also get a new firing pin spring while your at it. Shooters Connection should have both in stock. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Ok, take the spring off the firing pin and drop it in the firing pin hole off the gun. Does it stick all the way through? Is the firing pin binding on the firing pin stop? Try the original firing pin and spring and see if that works. Just change one thing at a time to figure out what is causing the problem. Thanks, Eric

This may be a little basic, but I have to ask...  Are your primers seated below flush? 

If primers aren't seated to the bottom of the primer pocket, they can "soak up" some of the energy from the firing pin, and prevent firing.  

I realize you probably already know this, so don't be insulted!  Just trying to help!  

• 1 month later...

My gunsmith and I did a trigger job on my new open gun and we settled at just back of 2lbs. 

Then after a few thousand round It got to where 1 out of 50 or so rounds would not set off the Winchester

primers but I didn't eem to have any issues with CCI. So just to make sure the primers would ignite I went from a15lb mainspring to a 19lb and the 19 does slam the hammer pretty hard so I think I'm going to try a 17lb to see if I can find that happy medium. I did order some federal primers but I won't have then untill the NC sectional after that I'll be set with Federal SPP for a few years. Even this the 19lb mainspring I still have a crisp 2lb trigger pull.  Good luck.

That's what have been told over the years as well.  I shot with CCI's SRP at a local this weekend and every round went off without issue.  

I don't have a clue other than maybe an odd batch or maybe my firing pin just likes CCI and Federal primers more than the Winchester SRP?