Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magpul question

Broski

I use ETS mags in competition. They are great quality. No complaints yet. The price is good and i love being able to see the round count at a glance. For that reason i prefer them over the magpul ones. Another benifit over magpul is they use the same baseplate system as the stock glock mags, so any baseplate or extension that works with a stock mag will work with the ETS mags. Magpul mags have 0 metal in them besides the spring. They wont magnitize to your belt. Also they just have one viewing hole to see round count. It only shows if your full. So i have a bunch sitting in my safe that i never use anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I like the ETS mags, running them in 9 and 40. Big plus to being able to use extended glock baseplates and aftermarket springs if you want, but the glock mag followers will not work in the ETS and I have discovered that the 40 S&W ETS mags are shorter (had to reduce the COL on my 40 loads) inside and had some issues with federal tactical hollow points and my own the blue bullets/Egg munition loads hanging up in the mags 

On 7/2/2017 at 7:31 PM, Broski said:

Been thinking about grabbing some additional mags for my open Glock. Wondering if the magpul one will magnetize on my belt? Also, thoughts on the ETS mags?

The magpul ones aren't metal lined, so I don't think a magnet will be of much use there. I have a few and they are ok, but like others have said there aren't enough witness holes to see how many rounds remaining. I prefer the ETS mags. 

In your case, i would just use factory Glock mags plus extensions. The real benefit to the ETS mags is that you can have a 140mm mag for less than 20 bucks. Since you'll want to add an extension to get to 170mm, might as well use more durable OEM mags to start with for only a little more $$.

7 hours ago, jbran267 said:

The magpul ones aren't metal lined, so I don't think a magnet will be of much use there. I have a few and they are ok, but like others have said there aren't enough witness holes to see how many rounds remaining. I prefer the ETS mags. 

In your case, i would just use factory Glock mags plus extensions. The real benefit to the ETS mags is that you can have a 140mm mag for less than 20 bucks. Since you'll want to add an extension to get to 170mm, might as well use more durable OEM mags to start with for only a little more $$.

ETS also makes 170mm mags... 

Oops haha then no excuse for the OP not to buy them. Sorry wasn't tracking the 170mm.

I think the 170mm ETS mags are a little akward. Also they are so light that they come out of the gun pretty slow when trying to do quick reloads. That is the one downside to these. They are super light.

18 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

I think the 170mm ETS mags are a little akward. Also they are so light that they come out of the gun pretty slow when trying to do quick reloads. That is the one downside to these. They are super light.

That's my biggest gripe with ETS; I can hardly get them out of the gun. I went back to mags with extensions because the ETS mags are so sluggish. OK range mags though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/6/2017 at 8:28 PM, 858 said:

That's my biggest gripe with ETS; I can hardly get them out of the gun. I went back to mags with extensions because the ETS mags are so sluggish. OK range mags though.

Same here, also with magpul mags, exactly what I did

Good info. I've been looking at ETS and based on the limit amount of results from google searches like problems with, issues, fte with ETS I think I'm going to order a few to give them a try, probably do the same with the magpuls too for fun. 

• 1 month later...

I got 1 of the 21rd 140mm magpuls, and while I like a lot of other magpul stuff I can’t really back the Glock mags. One is a small sample of course, but after it dropped in some fine gravel/almost sand 1 time at a match, I could not get it to run properly again. Took it apart multiple times and cleaned it as well as I could but it just wasn’t having it. YMMV of course but after that I’ve been sticking to factory.

If you live near me on the gulf coast I'll sell you all of mine cheap. I had some steel cased rounds at a steel challenge match, had three strings with stoppages. The same rounds worked just fine with the factory mags. Also had them fail to drop free when empty a couple times. This was on a completely stock G34. Never had an issue with the 15 rounders in my 19, but after those few instances I don't use them anymore. YMMV, as others seem to like them.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Magpul 140mm in my limited 9mm G17. Never had a mag issue with over 4k rounds. I have never taken them apart to clean them. They have just worked for me. 

I am putting together a G24 for limited major but it will get factory mags with extensions because Magpul does not mags for it yet :) just my 2¢

I don't have any Magpul extended mags, just the 17 rounders, they're ok, pretty intermittent whether they'll lock the slide on empty or not and I have definitely gotten a fresh mag to the gun before they've dropped before, never happens with factory.

I have 3 ETS 140mm mags, got a couple thousand rounds through two of them with no cleaning, dropped in gravel and dirt a lot. When my optic went down I decided to inspect everything in the gun and mags. Found a broken follower, must've just happened as I hadn't experienced any issues from it and it was the slide lock tab area that had broken off so eventually I would have. Emailed them Sunday, had new followers Wednesday, can't complain about the warranty service. No other issues, not really reloadable at 22 rounds for me.

I had issues with dropping the mags freely when using ets. It seems to be hit or miss with that. Some people I have talked to have zero issues. Out of the guys that I know personally, we have not great luck with that on the ets. I have not had any feed issues with them so that is a plus. Great if I didn’t have to reload. My magpuls have been flawless for me since day one. 

I had 6 MagPul 17 rounders. All were very intermittent on locking the slide back, and also were very very sticky and wouldn’t reliably drop free. Have seen local people have the same issues with ETS. Small sample size, but OEM hasn’t ever thrown me issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk