Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hindsight is 20/20

bcp

There is a lot of experience here and the BE forums are a great resource.  I really enjoy going through the archived topics and reading many topics.  

If you were starting over today in USPSA, what would you do differently?  What would you focus on...or stay away from?  Would you start with Production...or Limited?  Would you practice more dry or live fire?  Would you go to more matches early in your experience or focus more on practice?  

Feel free to take the subject in any direction.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  

At first I would say to start with whatever you own.  The first few matches should be taken slowly, making sure you follow all the safety procedures and rules.  After that, ask if you can use a few guns from people you know, if you don't already have a favorite gun, so you can get an idea of what you might like.  Study the rule book so you have a better idea of what is happening and why.  And, if there are any classes nearby, that is a great way to learn and have questions answered by someone who - hopefully - can answer them correctly for you.

Most importantly, do not spend a lot of money on equipment until you are sure you like the game and know what you want to do.

Edited by Steve RA
additional thought.

Hi Steve.  Thanks for your answer.  In my case, I've already got the equipment and gear (for Production and Limited) as well as good training materials from Anderson and Stoeger.   I'm registered with USPSA but haven't shot any matches or classifiers yet.  

One of the things I want to do is meet some locals and introduce myself and my biz partner who is also starting this USPSA journey.  I'm also getting familiar with some of the Anderson and Stoeger drills for dry fire and live fire.

I think Production is a young man's game ...   At 72, if I had to choose,

I'd choose Limited.

But, OPEN is Much Betterer   ....    :wub:

And, much more dry fire - I just can't get myself to do it more than once a month.    :( 

Don't switch guns (or constantly mess with yours) in search of a better match result.

Leave it mostly stock - whether it's an Edge in .40 or a Production gun - and shoot and practice your way to A/M/GM.

Most of us spent thousands on guns and internal parts we shouldn't have. You'll be winning matches when you invest in a whole lot of ammo, a training class, and practice often. Not when you get that $5K custom gun.

That's good advice.  I'm working on establishing a dry fire routine that I can CONSISTENTLY maintinain.  I'm looking for steady growth over time.  

Also good advice on not chasing equipment too much.  I know the gear is good...Shadow 2 and Brazos Pro (although I don't know which division I will focus on first).  I've got great reloading setups and lots of components.  I've got good training resources with Stoeger, Anderson, BE forums, YouTube, etc.  Plus, I plan on taking classes with Anderson and Stoeger.   I also plan on meeting local guys at the clubs and matches and hopefully getting their advice on improvements I can make.  

Then there's work ethic and drive...The motivation is there and I'm not lazy.  

Keep the advice coming and thanks again.  

I would probably start by shooting a match. Not to be a smart ass, but don't worry about meet and greets and whether you should shoot your shadow 2 or Brazos guns. Pick which one you like better and dive straight in. You'll meet the guys as you squad with them over a couple matches. Shooting matches and getting stages on video will help show your deficiencies for training. If you've already been practicing regularly, you may still have to work on the mental part of the game

On 7/2/2017 at 4:04 PM, bcp said:

If you were starting over today in USPSA, what would you do differently?  What would you focus on...or stay away from?  Would you start with Production...or Limited?  Would you practice more dry or live fire?  Would you go to more matches early in your experience or focus more on practice?  

I would have bought the Czechmate I wanted from the beginning and started in Open rather than starting in Limited with a TS and spending five years turning it into a Czechmate!  I have a Czechmate now, plus about a dozen others, and I'm almost done with my TS project :eatdrink:

On 7/3/2017 at 9:46 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Don't switch guns (or constantly mess with yours) in search of a better match result.

Leave it mostly stock - whether it's an Edge in .40 or a Production gun - and shoot and practice your way to A/M/GM.

Most of us spent thousands on guns and internal parts we shouldn't have. You'll be winning matches when you invest in a whole lot of ammo, a training class, and practice often. Not when you get that $5K custom gun.

Sage advice. I started competitive shooting in IDPA about three years ago. Began with stock polymer gun. Discovered USPSA and 2-Gun/3-Gun soon after. I estimate that I've "lost" (or spent on learning "tuition") about $2500 at least after selling/trading guns, holsters, etc., before settling down with what I now use to compete. This year I've turned my attention (finally) to dry firing and specific skill practice because I plateaued (after rising up in the local ranks).

More posts in forums relate to gear rather than learning. Reading about (or watching videos) of gear is fun and interesting (and offers the promise of improved results--path of least resistance). Now that I've shot some out-of-town matches where there are several M and A shooters (occasional GM) I learned that gear (as long as it runs well) is the tip of the iceberg of getting better. I know from experience (in my career field) that you have to pay your dues and "it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll." But trying out different guns and gear was fun (and I learned a lot). I don't consider the time and money spent a complete waste because I did learn a lot. But I am now "investing" as Memphis suggested.

Gear can be fun to chase but as you said, it's not where most of the gains come from.  That's why this topic isn't about gear.  It's about paying attention to the right things.  Appreciate all the comments.  Keep them coming.  

I posted this previously in relation to a similar question someone had. 

Advice to myself if I had a time machine:

Read a book on fundamentals like Practical Pistol Reloaded, then get a dry fire book/s and start training.

Set up a dry fire training schedule and live fire practice at least once a week, preferably with another motivated shooter either at a similar or better level of skill.

Read Beyond Fundamentals.

Expand you knowledge, the other books are good too (Lanny Basham's should be added to the list), and there are some good DVD's.  Re-read them, particularly Beyond Fundamentals.  The more you shoot and the more your knowledge grows the more it will make sense. 

Ben and Steve's podcasts are good listen to and beat listening to the crap on the radio or the drone of the lawn mower etc.

Don't forget to read the rule book too.

Seek constructive feed back, use video to analyse your performance.  

Take some classes.

Developing speed should be a key focus of your training.

Eventually your training will focus on identified weaknesses rather a set of basic or random drills.

Acknowledge and accept some key things early in your shooting career:

1. Quality training and practice beat going through the motions hands down;
  2. Training and preparing yourself mentally can be as critical as your shooting skills on match day;
  3. What may get you to your goals today may not get you to your goals tomorrow;
  4. Match your participation to your expectations

That's a great reply and the time machine comment gets at the heart of what I'm asking.  Mindset and what to be intentional about is what I'm asking for.  I appreciate you re-posting it.  

21 hours ago, bcp said:

David, could you share more on that subject?  Thanks.  

My reason for saying that is as follows:

Shooting limited major frees you from having to worry about reloads for the most part. When I started out shooting production I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to reload - I feel that I would have been better off figuring out the most efficient way to attack the stage.

The other things is that shooting minor I was always worried about my hits. I've always been one of the more accurate shooters, but at the expense of speed. When I shot a lot of IDPA that didn't really matter. When I started shooting a lot of USPSA speed was much more important but I still was trying to put two alpha on everything. Had I been shooting limited major dropping a few charlies here or there wouldn't have been such a big deal and it would have encouraged me to go faster.

I took a class with Ben Stoeger last year (well worth it in my opinion) and that was the one thing he kept telling me - go FAST on the targets that you can go fast on. I was shooting the same slow lazy cadence on everything. I had gotten better about it after the class, but switching to limited major really made a difference in my mindset.

Your situation might be different - your background might have a lot to do with it - I know mine did.

I see folks shooting carry optics now with the full 140mm magazines and wonder if that wouldn't be a good place to start as well?

Thanks for your reply and further elaboration.  That was one of the reasons I started this thread was to hear thoughts about which division others would enter if they were starting over again.  I have the gear to go either direction (Production or Limited major) but haven't decided yet which I would rather do first.  Right now I'm enjoying practicing with both setups.  Carry Optics doesn't appeal to me but I can understand why it does for others.    

I would shoot Limited if I could. Free yourself up and to hell with counting.

And definitely watch Ben's podcasts and use his training tools. Too much good info!

Edited by JD45

On 7/3/2017 at 7:01 PM, DKnoch said:

I would probably start by shooting a match. Not to be a smart ass, but don't worry about meet and greets and whether you should shoot your shadow 2 or Brazos guns. Pick which one you like better and dive straight in. You'll meet the guys as you squad with them over a couple matches. Shooting matches and getting stages on video will help show your deficiencies for training. If you've already been practicing regularly, you may still have to work on the mental part of the game

This.  Find a match in your area this month... heck, this weekend if you can and go shoot it.  You know enough to get started.  Don't over think it or you will be a massive ball of nerves your first match.  Just go and enjoy yourself while focusing on safety.

If I had to do it again. (and I could if I would)

I would get a Dillon 650,  Glock 34 and gear and shoot Prod. Dry fire x2 a week and then maybe 2 matches a month. Cheap gun and cheap ammo. Avoid Burn out and get good. unlike now where I dont want to dry fire or go shoot because I'm burnt out.

Maybe switch to a CZ down the road. Dont worry about classifying unless your going to a major. Just shoot locals and get good for the first season.

16 hours ago, JD45 said:

I would shoot Limited if I could. Free yourself up and to hell with counting.

And definitely watch Ben's podcasts and use his training tools. Too much good info!

But with a 2011 or just a Glock 35?

For me, brand new doing it ALLL over again and choosing Limited? Glock 35 with a magwell all the way. 

All good advice and appreciated.  I've got the equipment covered for Production and Limited major (Glock, CZ and 2011).  I've always had good reloading gear and lots of components (been shooting for over 30 years).   

I can't shoot a match quickly due to some scheduling issues but I plan to before summer's end.  Leaning towards starting in Limited but either way is interesting.  I've got the dry fire resources and I'm enjoying that.  The hard part has been finding a place I can live fire AND do drills, etc.  I think I've got that figured out now and would like to do some of that before going to a match or qualifier.  

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I heavily encourage everyone to shoot Limited Minor with their production gun for a couple of matches before switching to the 10 round division.

Yep that's the same advice i give new shooters who come to shoot with us.  I feel it lets them focus more on navigating the stages safely with out adding an additional level of complexity.