Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 to 1911, SVI?

Meshach

1. Magazines accessible to a competitor during a COF must not contain more than 8 rounds (for Major power factor) or 10 rounds (for Minor power factor) at the Start Signal

if I have 10 rd mags for major can I only load 8 and still use them?

8 minutes ago, Meshach said:

I have a limcat race holster from my 2011 I sold what would i be able to sell it for? Offset the cost of single stack holster and mag puches

Do a search in the classifieds section and I'm sure you'll get an idea on price range.

That Colt 1911 looks like a great one to get going with.  It is very similar to what I use as well.  Here is my Single Stack list of must have items:

- Fiber Sight with Black Rear

- Extended Mag Well

- A Legal but Large Slide Stop

- If it will only be a competition gun, an Ambi Safety.  If it will also be a carry gun no Ambi Safety.  The only reason I would ever use one is weak hand only shooting but I have found ways to get around not having one just fine.

I like blade-tech holsters and mag pouches as well but remember for Single Stack the pistol needs to ride higher on the belt that in production or the other divisions.

Hope this helps and good luck!

On 7/3/2017 at 7:10 PM, js1130146 said:

A sight tracker is not single stack legal.

-Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in 1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or less. (Note: All other barrels must have barrel bushings and conform to factory profile).

Anyone ever try a 4.2" bull barrel gun in Single Stack?

Minor I'm assuming would be the preference.

How close to 43 oz could one realistically get that gun, and what would the recoil be like compared to a 5" 9mm? 

I get that you'd be giving up a bit of sight radius, and maybe need a bit more powder to make minor, it'd be interesting to know if it's worth the trouble to build a gun for that. 

And could a top end be built for a 5" gun? In other words, is a 4.2" slide able to work on a standard frame?

I've heard some people prefer "commander" size guns in 9mm as supposedly they "run" better. I haven't had issues with either 5" or 4.2" in 9mm. The recoil in my opinion is negligible. Not sure how much 3/4" of barrel would effect power factor. Usually 4.2 guns utilize "commander" frames with a shorter dust cover as they have a shorter stroke.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:25 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Might as well go with a 9mm as 98% of matches work better with the 10 rounds than with 8

Why not .40 S&W, you can load it minor or major depending on the match and still shoot Limited 10 as well if you wish? Also, 5.4" model fits the box as well I believe.

Edited by tanks

2 hours ago, tanks said:

Why not .40 S&W, you can load it minor or major depending on the match and still shoot Limited 10 as well if you wish? Also, 5.4" model fits the box as well I believe.

Not sure if you are asking me or him but personally I don't want to pick up another caliber at this time and eventually when I start reloading and it pays off to shoot major I'll make the change at that time and get a conversion kit. Thanks

18 hours ago, Meshach said:

... eventually when I start reloading and it pays off to shoot major I'll make the change at that time and get a conversion kit. Thanks

Unless you are planning on spending a lot $$$ on custom reloads from a vendor I'd say the time to start reloading is when you get an STI or an SVI firearm. Most of the time factory loads will not feed as their OAL is too short for the 2011 to feed reliably. 

My STI 9mm ran factory loads and hps like a champ and the single stack nines I've shot from Wilson were spot on as well so I'd hope an svi would fall in line as well but I understand OAL and the feed issues could be a problem.

The only malfunction I had with the STI was in the winter and someone gave me grease to use and the slide locked up from the cold. I imagine that wouldn't have been an issue if I had used something else even clp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...