Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 to 1911, SVI?

Meshach

Sold my STI 2011 (due to state legislation) and I am trying to get back into the swing of things. I figured I would go single stack and I have been looking around the internet trying to figure out what changes I need to make to gear etc as I currently own a race holster and so on. In the process of trying to figure out what I want on a pistol and due to the CA roster it seems as though SVI is the best way to go as they have guns on roster and can be converted to multi calibers. So I am thinking an SVI in 9mm, what I am wondering is people who shoot single stack what is a must have on a single stack pistol, I am even debating to conceal carry the gun because why not you only live once. So input as far as gear selection or dos and donts on a pistol build would be appreciated. I know the wait on an SVI is 12+ months so in the meantime Ill be shooting a Colt 1911 .45 I have that already has a magwell and decent sights. Thanks for your time and input! 20130126_211948_zpsc6fac384.jpg

I was thinking that, my thought process was I already shoot 9 and its cheaper I could continue to shoot 9 and when I get to the point where I am actually going to benefit by shooting major I could get a caliber conversion. thanks for the reply

4 hours ago, Meshach said:

... So I am thinking an SVI in 9mm, what I am wondering is people who shoot single stack what is a must have on a single stack pistol, I am even debating to conceal carry the gun because why not you only live once. 

One thing to consider is the trigger. I like my competition triggers to be about 1.5 - 1.75lbs. I would not want that light of a trigger on the carry gun. Secondly, in case you were involved in a shooting do you want your $6K competition gun held as evidence, especially in CA?

BTW, I am on month 15 of my SVI order for the CA roster version. I figure start to finish will be 18 months if not more.

3 hours ago, tanks said:

One thing to consider is the trigger. I like my competition triggers to be about 1.5 - 1.75lbs. I would not want that light of a trigger on the carry gun. Secondly, in case you were involved in a shooting do you want your $6K competition gun held as evidence, especially in CA?

BTW, I am on month 15 of my SVI order for the CA roster version. I figure start to finish will be 18 months if not more.

18 months or more. Thought lead time was 12-15 months. Yours gonna be longer why? What's the longer time for CA roster gun. So your pistol is sitting at Sv done waiting on something. 

According to the good folks at SVI, they are currently running at about 16 months for delivery.  Don't think that has anything to do with delivery location (CA), just their general back log.  I'm at 14 months.  

Also, I would not consider an all steel double stack 1911 to be a particularly good choice for carry... for reasons of  concealability and comfort.  Too big, too heavy.   The exception from SVI would be their Tiki model. 

Edited by hjweiss

21 minutes ago, hjweiss said:

According to the good folks at SVI, they are currently running at about 16 months for delivery.  Don't think that has anything to do with delivery location (CA), just their general back log.  I'm at 14 months.  

Also, I would not consider an all steel double stack 1911 to be a particularly good choice for carry... for reasons of  concealability and comfort.  Too big, too heavy.   The exception from SVI would be their Tiki model. 

Im going single stack and I already carry a single stack 1911. Thanks 

22 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

18 months or more. Thought lead time was 12-15 months. Yours gonna be longer why? What's the longer time for CA roster gun. So your pistol is sitting at Sv done waiting on something. 

Actually, the CA roster version  (stainless steel 5" .45) shipped today (15 months). Now, when I get it on the 5th I will have to register it with CA DOJ and go through the 10 day waiting period (have a CA CCW but still they delay you). The gun will go back to them on the 17th of July for customization (turning it into a 5.4" sight tracker .40 S&W with signature grip etc. etc.). I hope that I can get it back in a month from that time so I can use it in Iron sight nationals, but originally they had said 90 days from the time they got the firearm back.

23 minutes ago, tanks said:

Actually, the CA roster version  (stainless steel 5" .45) shipped today (15 months). Now, when I get it on the 5th I will have to register it with CA DOJ and go through the 10 day waiting period (have a CA CCW but still they delay you). The gun will go back to them on the 17th of July for customization (turning it into a 5.4" sight tracker .40 S&W with signature grip etc. etc.). I hope that I can get it back in a month from that time so I can use it in Iron sight nationals, but originally they had said 90 days from the time they got the firearm back.

Wow. Didn't know you had to go through all that. I knew a little about it but to send it back to Sv for the upgrades didn't know that. Hope they turn it around for you quick. Like meshach said put up some pics. I have a Sv thread with guys coming up soon like me gonna post pics. Can't wait to get mine. 

Pin / deactivate the grip safety.

Techwell SP magwell or at least a Dawson

Trigger of choice at proper length, probably done during the build or the SV adjustable trigger shoes.

Ambi Safety

Front cocking serrations

Good adjustable sight

Might as well go with a 9mm as 98% of matches work better with the 10 rounds than with 8

Couple of big matches major works better but as you said earlier get the breech face changed and new barrel etc

EAA or CR speed pouches with proper inserts.  If you have racer pouches you can get inserts and some more of those.

I suggest at least 5 pouches ( I carry six for when I shoot major)

Go shoot have fun and Enjoy the fact your shooting the classic handgun of America

Happy July 4th, and God bless America!

13 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Pin / deactivate the grip safety.

Techwell SP magwell or at least a Dawson

Trigger of choice at proper length, probably done during the build or the SV adjustable trigger shoes.

Ambi Safety

Front cocking serrations

Good adjustable sight

Might as well go with a 9mm as 98% of matches work better with the 10 rounds than with 8

Couple of big matches major works better but as you said earlier get the breech face changed and new barrel etc

EAA or CR speed pouches with proper inserts.  If you have racer pouches you can get inserts and some more of those.

I suggest at least 5 pouches ( I carry six for when I shoot major)

Go shoot have fun and Enjoy the fact your shooting the classic handgun of America

Happy July 4th, and God bless America!

Thanks for the awesome reply and god bless happy 4th of July! 

53 minutes ago, Meshach said:

The gentlemen from SVI said it was 

A sight tracker is not single stack legal.

-Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in 1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or less. (Note: All other barrels must have barrel bushings and conform to factory profile).

7 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

A sight tracker is not single stack legal.

-Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in 1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or less. (Note: All other barrels must have barrel bushings and conform to factory profile).

Oh well thanks for clarifying that I'll have to speak the guy at svi and let him know. Thanks

39 minutes ago, Meshach said:

Since the sight tracker isn't legal what is better bull or bushing

Bull barrel is also not legal unless it is 4.2" or shorter. If you want a 5" single stack gun, you have to go bushing.