Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Charging Handles for AR-15

A gunshop operator told me that instead of the $15 Charging Handle
I have for my new AR-15, I should consider a more expensive model
that looks exactly the same, to me.    

He said it will make it "easier" for me to charge my rifle ....???

I have NO experience with this - anyone give me some advice, here?
Any first hand experience with charging handles?

Thanks.

The stock charging handle was designed to be pulled like a sling shot with the right hand.
Newer charging handles like the BCM gunfighter look the same, but have much less flex when pulled with the nonfiring (left) hand alone.

The latch is also larger... I think the BCM medium size is ideal
I've had the stock latch actually tear off when the harder pin wore through the softer latch.

There are also ambidextrous charging handles as mentioned above.

So for once the gun shop guy is right

The main thing I dislike about the stock - or stock type - is the fact you can't really use them with the weapon shouldered , which you can with the side charge ones.  Some of the side charge models have a rectangular piece of metal that comes back when operated which causes the same problem as the original, unless you want to stab yourself in the cheek.

6 hours ago, jbran267 said:

I am a huge fan of the raptor, just not the price of a raptor.  Racking the charging handle becomes more of a gross motor skill, since all you have to do is pull on it and it disengages the latch. 

I acquired one on a rifle, but I still wouldn't go out and buy one unless it was deeply discounted.

Oh absolutely. $90 or whatever for a charging handle?! You can find them a good bit cheaper on sale and as others stated, co-branded for less.

I have a BCM with a medium latch on one rifle but I actually still prefer the old-school badger ordnance latch on a standard charging handle.

It is a little pokey with a slung rifle, but one handed manipulation is a breeze.