Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 recommendations

RAINY0DAYS

I'm looking for affordable ammo for bay stuff, as well as another load for precision. Eventually I'll start loading my own ammo, but at the moment it's not in the cards. I've tried freedom munitions reman(have had good luck with their 9mm), but I've been having some serious qc and jacket separation issues. What do you guys recommend?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have been using the wolf gold 55gr for 3gun for about 3k rounds now. Price is he to beat at $290-$309 shipped for 1k. It groups really well at 200yrds for me and my rifle. This have been my go to rifle ammo lately but always used the federal xm193 before that with very similar results. 

For close range stuff pmc bronze or wolf gold. 

For longer range i use the 75gr hornady training ammo (steel cased but loaded by hornady with their 75 gr bthp match bullet).  Flash targets out to 500-600 yards are no problem.

On sale pmc bronze should be around 300 per thousand or just a bit less plus shipping.  wolf gold a little less if you catch the right sale. 

The Hornady training about 370 or less on sale + shipping.

For bay work, I use the cheapest steel-cased ammo I can find. For distance shooting, you'll have to test different loads and see what is the most accurate in your rifle. 

Steel is definitely a good trade off. But that also depends on your neck of the woods. Some of the ranges where I live don't allow steel case ammo. Some take it a step further and have even banned FMJ.

So while steel was a better value for me, my opportunity to shoot it was very limited. I ended up reloading and saving even more money in exchange for spending a LOT of time processing and loading soft point ammo. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wilf Gold has been good for me since trying it a few years back.

Federal now has a 5 cent per round rebate up to 4k rnd/$200 dollars on .223/5.56 ammo. For brass 55gr,  probably hard to beat the price w/ rebate. :)

Edited by O_O

3 hours ago, O_O said:

Federal now has a 5 cent per round rebate up to 4k rnd/$200 dollars on .223/5.56 ammo.

You buy the ammo anywhere, and then Federal gives you $50/1,000 back in cash?

So, if you can find Federal for $320/1,000, that would bring it down to $270/1,000?   GREAT DEAL !!!!