Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

printers

dirtysanchez

Stage printers are:

• expensive (more expensive than a tablet, for bluetooth/battery powered)
  • fragile (not designed to be banged around in dust, rain, humidity, heat, cold, etc.)
  • maintenance nightmares (bad enough having shooters messing with tablets, I don't want them clearing paper jams)
  • printing from tablets isn't particular standardized like it is for PCs, though it's better than it used to be (configuration hassles)

Until USPSA changes the rulebook to put a fork in the backup paper scoresheet once and for all, a pre-printed summary sheet that has all the stages on one sheet seems like the way to go for majors. I'm pretty sure it was euxx (Eugene of Android Practiscore fame) who messed around with some printing options and it was eventually abandoned as pointless.

4 hours ago, jester121 said:
Stage printers are:
  • expensive (more expensive than a tablet, for bluetooth/battery powered)
  • fragile (not designed to be banged around in dust, rain, humidity, heat, cold, etc.)

The expensive part is not exactly true. There are plenty of options of bt thermal printers within $30..80 price range. There are even used ones in a rugged cases...

3bcecd8285037d02003d5d626cb94465.jpg

• printing from tablets isn't particular standardized like it is for PCs, though it's better than it used to be (configuration hassles)

Also not true. The printing interface been added to Android app over 2 years ago and it hasn't been changed since. People just started using it now

I'm pretty sure it was euxx (Eugene of Android Practiscore fame) who messed around with some printing options and it was eventually abandoned as pointless

Never said I abandoned it. I enabled option for printing from android app. It is up to the users if they wanted it or not.

Edited by euxx

4 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

If the shooter wants a record of his score, have him/her take a picture of the tablet with their smart phone.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution.

2 hours ago, davidb72 said:

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution.

Simple, like trying to take a picture of tablet screen in a bright sun light or rain with a phone you normally would not carry with you while  shooting a stage? Hmm... 

I have ran one of the thermal printers for about a year now. Saw one of Eugene's youtube videos and did the same. Haven't really had an issue with the thermal printers. Sat it in the sun all day multiple times and still working. The issue I have running at club matches is the inexperience on the scoring devices and most of our stage devices are the legacy non-bluetooth versions. On the android I used the POS Printer Driver app as  the interface for the bluetooth thermal printer. From the approve scoring screen tap the top corner that says share and it will print. I personally would rather see more of these at Level 2 matches than seeing ROs copy on to sheets. Just more of a chance of human error while copying, which I have seen quite a bit over L2 matches. 

On 7/5/2017 at 3:30 PM, euxx said:

The expensive part is not exactly true. There are plenty of options of bt thermal printers within $30..80 price range. There are even used ones in a rugged cases...

3bcecd8285037d02003d5d626cb94465.jpg

Also not true. The printing interface been added to Android app over 2 years ago and it hasn't been changed since. People just started using it now

Never said I abandoned it. I enabled option for printing from android app. It is up to the users if they wanted it or not.

Good to know -- my recollections were way out of date. :)

• 4 weeks later...

An undocumented feature isn't really helpful.  A google search turned up several videos and webpages where people show that it works or complain that setup is "not easy", but not a single page where they explain what they did.  I have one on order to see if I can make it work, but it would be nice to have a starting point other than vague statements that it can be done.

• 2 months later...