Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Accu Shadow - Slide Auto-Closing during Emergency Reload

Ken6PPC

Guys, I am having an issue with my (new to me) Accu Shadow SP-01.  During Emergency Reloads (have to - IDPA), the slide automatically closes upon mag insertion - sometimes. 

I have not experienced the slide closing without picking up a round, so perhaps I should just not worry about it.  But, since I know it shouldn't be doing that, it bothers me. 

It does seem to happen more often when I slam the mag home hard.  (I don't think just trying to not slam it in hard will work... I get a little excited and heavy-handed during the match.)  Slide lock on an empty mag has always been 100% for me.  I had also much rather this either NEVER happen, or ALWAYS happen, instead of "sometimes".  It causes me to pause when it happens, and breaks my concentration.  

One more thing - this is happening with all six different stock CZ mags I have.  

What is causing this, and how would I fix it?  

Thanks in advance!  

Yes, as I stated in the original post, I had rather have this happen either NEVER, or ALWAYS. 

If it isn't anything to worry about (and sounds like it isn't), then I would like to have it happen all the time, so I can expect it, and not lose concentration.  

Edited by Ken6PPC

So, if I wanted to modify my slide release to make the slide close 100% of the time, would I remove metal from the flat part showing inside the red square in the above picture?  

Perhaps I should get a spare slide stop to experiment with first?  https://czcustom.com/cz-75-shadow-sp01-slide-stop.html  

This info really helps me a lot.  If nothing else, it will help me accept the automatic closing when it happens, and not sweat it!  

2 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

OK, I am starting to understand how to do this reliably.  Up and forward is working pretty well!  

So, now I agree.... this IS a feature!  It sure is fast!  

I'm not convinced it is faster.  The extra smack it takes to insert the magazine with enough force to auto-forward slows down the act of reloading, I think.  I haven't tested this with a timer but I think a smooth reload with left hand thumb hitting the slide release as you regain your grip is faster.

1 hour ago, adamge said:

I'm not convinced it is faster.  The extra smack it takes to insert the magazine with enough force to auto-forward slows down the act of reloading, I think.  I haven't tested this with a timer but I think a smooth reload with left hand thumb hitting the slide release as you regain your grip is faster.

Perhaps.... I"ll time it both ways to see.  

If nothing else, I'm not going to freak out when it closes automatically, and lose concentration.  I KNOW that cost me some time!  

It is much less about how HARD you push the mag in, and much more about the angle of force in relation to the mag/gun. I don't have to insert my mags all that hard, just with the force in the right direction and I can make it happen 100% of the time. Anyone that says it isn't faster is kidding themselves. This eliminates one thing you need to do on a slide lock reload. I have actually recorded this on camera and timer, and there is NO way you can get the slide closed and round in the chamber quicker than this.

9 hours ago, adamge said:

+1

It does not matter how quickly you get the slide closed, total time between shots does matter. There is free time as you are bringing the gun on target after you get the mag in.

7 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

Perhaps.... I"ll time it both ways to see.  

If nothing else, I'm not going to freak out when it closes automatically, and lose concentration.  I KNOW that cost me some time!  

That sounds like a plan! Most of my guns auto forward, but when one doesn't I'm trained for it and it does not matter (except it does not look as cool). 

Bullet type/length is a factor in how reliable the closing is. 

On 7/1/2017 at 6:56 PM, kneelingatlas said:

This edge is a slightly acute angle, the more square you make it, the more likely the slide to release when you insert the mag.

There needs to be a way to file wisdom from the Doctor for easy reference. 

Same sort of thing with Tanfo's ?

16 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Bullet type/length is a factor in how reliable the closing is. 

Disagree entirely. I can get this to reliably happen with half a mag, one round, any loaded length or weight. There is no extra smack, Not sure what you guys are doing, but by the time slide is closed on a reload you should almost have your sights on the target.

Auto forward on my tanfogs and CZ means I can get the gun to the target quicker. Proof is in the puddding..

Edited by niroth81

18 minutes ago, niroth81 said:

Disagree entirely. I can get this to reliably happen with half a mag, one round, any loaded length or weight. There is no extra smack, Not sure what you guys are doing, but by the time slide is closed on a reload you should almost have your sights on the target.

Auto forward on my tanfogs and CZ means I can get the gun to the target quicker. Proof is in the puddding..

The first thing depends upon the particular gun and tends to change with break in and as kneelingatlas noted above can be tuned.

The second thing I have timed both ways and not seen any advantage, possibly because I spent years shooting guns that did not auto forward and got used to hitting the release as part of aquiring the weak hand grip. Sounds like a good thing for folks to experiment with and make their own minds up about. 

My CZ Phantom (CO) auto-fowarded with 10,11,12# recoil springs.  So far it hasnt with 13# and above.  I dont like the auto-forward as it is distracting and takes away from my concentration. None of my SS guns ever did this, so I am not used to it all.  

23 minutes ago, GregJ said:

My CZ Phantom (CO) auto-fowarded with 10,11,12# recoil springs.  So far it hasnt with 13# and above.  I dont like the auto-forward as it is distracting and takes away from my concentration. None of my SS guns ever did this, so I am not used to it all.  

Going back to post 6, you wonder if you could fix this with a file? Remove material from the underside of the piece that contacts the round on reload/follower on empty magazine, but stop before the slide won't lock back with an empty mag. 

Before the Shadow, I have primarily shot 1911's and Glocks, and they NEVER auto-forwarded in my experience.  Perhaps others have different experiences with those pistols?  

Anyway, since I didn't have experience with auto-forwarding, you can imagine my surprise when my Shadow started doing this in the middle of a match...  

I really don't know for certain if auto-forwarding is faster or not, but it seems intuitive that it would be if I can do it reliably.  

I still think the main thing, for ME, is to not lose concentration if it happens, and be ready to release the slide stop if it doesn't. 

Having all this input makes me a lot more comfortable to not think something has gone wrong when it does auto-forward, and I thank you all for that!  

None of my 1911's ever did the "auto-close" thing.  I would probably try a different slide stop if they did, or at least take a look to see if the slide stop was fully engaging the slide. 

If you can depend on the auto-close to work properly and always pick up and chamber a round, perhaps you can live with it.  I don't think a 1911 will always pick up a round when this happens....  

4 hours ago, mjkten said:

I have a Colt 1911 that does this.  I was putting that "feature" on a list of things for a gunsmith to work on until I did some research. 

"First my slide started auto-closing and then two weeks later my dick fell off"

Barring new info like that I would just shoot it and be happy, unless it bothers you.