Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making a comp perm

I need someone to pin and  weld or silver solder my mbx comp on to my 14.5 barrel.... I've searched and read about the brownells paste. I'm not doing it myself...  Also lots of people don't weld aluminum... Anyone have suggestions on who would do this work for me? Adco already turned down the work, they don't weld aluminum 

THX 

You can't weld alum. to steel anyway. Just clean both parts good with brake parts cleaner or ketone or acetone, let them dry out good and put the comp on with 680 green LocTite. Make sure it fits the way you want first, then LocTite the parts an get it together quickly. Let it cure overnight, won't be coming off without a torch and 350 - 400 degrees of heat.

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

Just clean both parts good with brake parts cleaner or ketone or acetone, let them dry out good and put the comp on with 680 green LocTite.

Will this meet BATF requirements?    I thought either pin and weld or 1200 deg silver solder was required.

Guessing you are using an MBX comp?

Only thing I could see doing is drill the comp and barrel and insert an aluminum pin. Then find a local weld shop to put a dab of weld over the hole.

Better check, but I'm thinking pin/weld requirements don't specify pin material. You could use a steel pin if sunk below surface and they could get a puddle on top of it.

Glues are not an approved method.

Approved methods are silver solder (which melts at about the same temp as aluminum and the aluminum would have to be hotter to heat soak the solder and steel), fully welding, and blind pin welding. The latter is really your only viable option. I am not positive it would be legal with an aluminum component which may be why some vendors aren't interested. Anyone with a tig welder should be able to easily fill a hole over a blind pin.

On 7/1/2017 at 4:29 PM, mscott said:

Guessing you are using an MBX comp?

Only thing I could see doing is drill the comp and barrel and insert an aluminum pin. Then find a local weld shop to put a dab of (aluminum) weld over the hole.

Better check, but I'm thinking pin/weld requirements don't specify pin material. You could use a steel pin if sunk below surface and they could get a puddle on top of it.

This.

Blind pin and weld...just need to find a good shop that can weld aluminum.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/09/2017 at 8:40 AM, GunCat said:

This.

Blind pin and weld...just need to find a good shop that can weld aluminum.

It's not a super difficult tast that requires an expert.  Try a local tech school, they might have the equipment and likely be very low cost to you.

• 1 month later...
On July 26, 2017 at 11:24 AM, SJan said:

It's not a super difficult tast that requires an expert.  Try a local tech school, they might have the equipment and likely be very low cost to you.

SJan, you think it's a good idea to bring a rifle barrel to a tech school to weld a comp?  Granted I would have loved that back in my tech school welding days, I don't think it would be wise to do. 

16 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

SJan, you think it's a good idea to bring a rifle barrel to a tech school to weld a comp?  ................... I don't think it would be wise to do. 

Maybe the tech school has gunsmithing classes?    Even if not, check with the instructor in advance and take only the minimum parts necessary to get the job done (barrel, comp and barrel nut).