Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 extended safety, grip issue

JeremiahD

*I debated on what subforum to put this in, feel free to relocate..

I recently picked up a proper 5" 1911 to (finally) replace the commander I've been using.  I have been identifying issues and working on all the basics all over again in dry and live fire and understand I wont be proficient again for months. I found I have the nagging issue of shooting low-left/7-8'oclock, particularly on the follow up shot. I assumed either I am jerking the trigger and the extra 3/4" of barrel is amplifying the issue, or my of-hand is squeezing reflexively and pulling the shot low.  After a lot of trial and error and experimenting with my grip on both guns I have found my trigger pull is good as is my grip; however, I am just slightly applying pressure with the tip of my thumb on the end of the extended grip safety.  This was not any kind of an issue before as I ran a standard safety, my thumbs are so large I've always flipped the safety with my knuckle, and let the back half "ride" the top, leaving rest of the thumb from knuckle forward not making contact with anything. I should note I have large hands and very large thumbs.

I understand the prevailing wisdom of "software before hardware", but I'm wondering if I'm not better off simply going back to a standard length safety.  What say you?  Is there any real advantage to an extended safety in competition if the standard length one "does the job"?  Is it really enough of an advantage that I should relearn my grip, or should I remove the "improvement" and return to a standard safety?

Assuming you're a right handed shooter, do you depress the slide release with your right thumb or your left thumb on a slide lock reload? For my hand size and wanting to use my right thumb to depress the lever, I need the extended safety and I chose to modify my grip to make it work.

It is a very quick and simple switch, if you are fairly sure that changing this one item will move your shots from 7 and 8 o'clock to poa then do it.

Thanks for the feedback. I am right handed and manipulate the slide lock with my left thumb. I will pull the safety and replace it with a standard length one I have in the bin before my next range session and see what happens.  

Just curiously, what is your technique for hitting the slide release at slide lock right handed? Are you flipping the release just as the support hand begins rebuilding the grip?  Have you found it faster back on target than blipping the release as the grip is completed? Or are you running an extended release as well?