Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super with CFE. Your experience?

Hey everyone! Still in the midst of developing a 38 super load for my Tanfoglio open gun thats a V12. I find myself going much higher than the max load data posted in my reloading book just to make major with CFE. It took 7.8gr to make 168-169 PF. Find myself needing more gas but i'm a bit hesitant. The max in my book ranges from 6.4gr to 6.8gr. I will be exploring some more popular powders that produce more gas, dont worry there. Have any of you used CFE for your V12 or even V8? The pop holes seem tp bleed out soooo much gas. I'm looking to step up to 8.0 for more gas generation. Brass is looking fine at 7.8 gr.

The only other powder i have currently is AA5(an abundance of it). Will be looking at autocomp next.

Thanks!

eb08fc20d30138649b3b5f359a93baa3.jpg163a1401d15b3d6a09c47438cad12774.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I would try AA7 if you can get accurate powders local. I really liked it, a bit dirty but it does make gas. VV 3n38 and VV N105 work great too for gas, a bit slower then WAC and CFE

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, darthdively said:

You try cfe by any chance?

Nope. Joe an JJ use 3n38. So either spend the money on that, or run budget powder aa7 or longshot. Those three I know for a fact work w the v12 GT in 38s. Also, I never had to compress the load either, w a 38sc case. I wouldn't even mess w cfe. If you're looking for one suggestion, go aa7.

20161113_124352.jpg

Edited by SoCalShooter69

2 minutes ago, darthdively said:

Was thinking about gettinf 3n38. My buddy wants to buy that too. Split hazmat.

It'll rum cleaner, but it's not that big of a deal or difference to run aa7. 3n38 will be a smidgen more consistent over the chrono, but we're only talking a negligible difference in the SD and ES.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2017 at 1:28 PM, darthdively said:

Hey everyone! Still in the midst of developing a 38 super load for my Tanfoglio open gun thats a V12. I find myself going much higher than the max load data posted in my reloading book just to make major with CFE. It took 7.8gr to make 168-169 PF. Find myself needing more gas but i'm a bit hesitant. The max in my book ranges from 6.4gr to 6.8gr. I will be exploring some more popular powders that produce more gas, dont worry there. Have any of you used CFE for your V12 or even V8? The pop holes seem tp bleed out soooo much gas. I'm looking to step up to 8.0 for more gas generation. Brass is looking fine at 7.8 gr.

The only other powder i have currently is AA5(an abundance of it). Will be looking at autocomp next.

Thanks!

eb08fc20d30138649b3b5f359a93baa3.jpg163a1401d15b3d6a09c47438cad12774.jpg

Did you ever try AA#7?  If so how did it work for you?

8 hours ago, DenverDave said:

I tried just about every power available  to develop a load for my 38 Super Gold Team

Ramshot Shilloute  with a 124gr projectile is what I found to be best for me.

Aa7, long shot, and 3n38 are the best powders for a V12 in 38s (c).

That said, I find it hard to believe you shot silhouette in 38s, generated enough power and gas for the V12, while staying in a safe pressure zone. Book max is 6.5 - 6.8 w a 124...

SoCalShooter69....why do you seem so defensive?
I do NOT claim to be an expert....I just know what I like.
My loads where Chrono'd over a year ago so I have no idea where the data sheets are I just know it made powerfactor with enough margin that I feel confident to run them in local matches without risking being called a cheater.   And besides, the range I shoot at is 6,000 feet above sea level....my Chrono numbers will be different then yours.
I just shoot local matches, I do not have the time or really a desire (for now)  to do state level and national level events.

Additional info if you want to hear about it:  I have tested:  Autocomp, CFE Pistol, AA5, AA7, WSF and 3N37 and of course Silhouette (which I liked best).
My TF Gold Team is stock with the exception that Henning was gracious enough to tune my extractor for me. (he is a great guy)

My load data is :  124gr Berry's RN (because I can buy in bulk at Cabelas when they are on sale for a really decent price),  7.2 gr of RamShot Shilhouettte, Winchester Primer,

1.272 OAL  (exactly the way the tech at Western told me to load it)

So that is all my data.....I don't know what else to tell you.

I just think you should do what you do....I'm going to do what I do.   And I wish you all Alpha's.

Edited by DenverDave