Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time vs hits

GrayR

12 hours ago, rowdyb said:

i feel embarrassed to post it, but here is a good example of this from my own recent experience.

well low and behold results come out and being 17 seconds faster in raw time over 6 stages made up for having 3 times, yes 3 times, the number of penalties.

That right there is pretty interesting to me.  I'm listening and reading and learning and practicing...and I keep hearing that speed matters...but hits matter...but speed...and then you post this.  Fascinating.  Obviously, a good combo of hits and speed is what winners do but speed matters a LOT.  You actually can miss fast enough to make up for penalties.  At some point mathematically, you can get ahead of the slower but more accurate shooter.  All of this assumes safety and no DQ's of course.  

If I can get calm and not tank my first stage, and the hose classifiers with mag change , my scores would improve drastically. Several second place finishes in CO division and one third. Last match was third with a Master in the class. I always tank my first stage and at least one of the classifiers

Been dissecting my videos and stage movement effeciency is a huge area I need improving on,,, and reloading on the run.

You might try slowing down on the first stage.  I used to foul up the first stage, about every time, and.figured out that I'm pumped up for the match but not yet dialed in, so I go too fast and make errors.  I slow it down a notch and get the hits but not the Ms and Ds and no-shoots (well, mostly).