Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BBI 125's and WSF

BigBlueBuckeye

I'm looking for experiences and opinions on this combination.  124g Precision Delta RN and WSF has been my chosen combination for years.  I have had no issues with this load ever, but I recently found a supplier within an hour drive for BBI. This would allow me to pick up orders in person and pay cash (just a personal preference) and my mailman would also appreciate it.
I do not shoot competition, but do enjoy informal group outings that involve USPSA type contests.  These will be shot from the following:
CZ SP 01
CZ PCR
CZ P07
CZ P09
CZ 75BD

I would like to stay with WSF if possible, due to the quantity I have on hand. 
Thanks for any input you may have with this combination.

Thanks,
Matt

BBI 125's and 4.7 WSF will hit 126-130 PF, while bumping up to 5.1 will get you into the mid/high 140's

I've found the BBI 125's need to be seated a bit deeper than other similar bullets to ensure reliable feeding and ejection due to the CN profile, and likely won't be ordering anymore.  I would suggest moving up to the 135 RN.

56 minutes ago, 78Staff said:

I've found the BBI 125's need to be seated a bit deeper than other similar bullets to ensure reliable feeding and ejection due to the CN profile

This means nothing to a gun other than yours.  He could just as easily move to whatever your reliable bullet is and find that bullet unreliable.

This is the first I've heard of someone having an issue getting the BBI 125gr bullets to feed, and it should be taken with a grain of salt insofar as it might indicate problems in another pistol.  There's no reason to suspect it will.

IDescribe - No harm no foul.  I always do my own research and testing, not just trust the internet gospel. 

I was thinking about moving up to the 135's from BBI, but have never loaded any bullets with a cannelure.  Not sure If there is something I don't know involved.  Is there an advantage to the 135's over the 125's or is it a preference thing?  For example, I have always preferred 124's over 115's.  I have loaded and shot 147's in the past, but my CZ's always seemed to like my 124 loads better.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks,

Matt

4 hours ago, IDescribe said:

This means nothing to a gun other than yours.  He could just as easily move to whatever your reliable bullet is and find that bullet unreliable.

This is the first I've heard of someone having an issue getting the BBI 125gr bullets to feed, and it should be taken with a grain of salt insofar as it might indicate problems in another pistol.  There's no reason to suspect it will.

I'll quantify by saying I saw feeding issues at long-ish but within spec OAL's with BBI 125's in my G17, G19, and G34 (oem & aftermarket barrel/comp setup), as well as a Colt Competition 9mm (this one was the worst, fwiw) and DW Guardian 9mm.   I'm not knocking BBI, I shoot a bunch of their 10's and 45 bullets without issue, for sure, and is pretty much my go-to for coated. Just won't be ordering any more 125's with the CN profile is all.

But, the point is valid, all depends on the firearm, your preferred OAL, and none I listed are CZ's that the OP listed.

Edited by 78Staff

125BBI, 4.5WSF, 1.125OAL, went 140pf over the chronos at the Mid-Atlantic Sectional for me out of an aftermarket Glock 19 barrel. 
I have loaded up some of the same with 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 should get them tested soon.  I can do some CZ testing if you like, I have two Shadows, a P-01 and access to a P-09

My PCC load is 3.9gr and runs just shy of 125pf out of the Glock barrel and 132pf out of my 14.5" JP PCC barrel. 

ETA: when I say soon, I mean if I can get my stuff together it will be today. 

Edited by Patrick Scott

• 10 months later...
On 7/4/2017 at 10:29 AM, Patrick Scott said:

125BBI, 4.5WSF, 1.125OAL, went 140pf over the chronos at the Mid-Atlantic Sectional for me out of an aftermarket Glock 19 barrel. 
I have loaded up some of the same with 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 should get them tested soon.  I can do some CZ testing if you like, I have two Shadows, a P-01 and access to a P-09

My PCC load is 3.9gr and runs just shy of 125pf out of the Glock barrel and 132pf out of my 14.5" JP PCC barrel. 

ETA: when I say soon, I mean if I can get my stuff together it will be today. 

I know this is an old thread, just curious if you ever got any load data for the lower loads of WSF with a 125gr bullet.

I'm curious, as well. 

I'll say that in my CZ ShadowLine that every single 124/125gr bullet I've loaded, regardless of powder, tends to hit best accuracy with an average velocity of somewhere between 1060 and 1080 feet/sec.  Some powders are better than others, but with 124/125gr bullets, it seems there's an accuracy node with this pistol somewhere in the 1060-1080 range, so somewhere between PF 132-135, which is awfully convenient, given that that's exactly where I want to be for 9mm minor.

The only 124/125 coated lead bullets I've run with WSF are the SNS 125gr RN and CN, which get into that velocity range at 4.5/4.6gr.  BBI are a little bigger in diameter than SNS, a little more than a thousandth, so BBI might take a tenth or two less to get there, but I haven't loaded the 125gr BBI with WSF, so I can't say for sure.  Truthfully, I find WSF to be just a little slow burning for 9mm minor, but I know plenty of people love it.