Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New USPSA shooter

I agree with everyone here. The hand speed will come with more dry fire.  You can practice just snapping your hand to the gun without drawing. Break down the components of the draw.  You want your support hand to meet the gun as soon as possible.  On the beep snap your strong hand to the pistol and your weak hand closer to the gun.  It should be one movement. Then you have the meet and greet and then the presentation. Getting your index off the draw will come with more dry fire reps.  Your draw speed should be the same for a 5 yard target and a 25 yard target. Dont slow down the draw when the targets get further away or more difficult.  I see that a lot with newer shooters.  Your grip technique looks good. Crush hard with your support hand. I like to roll pressure into the bore as it gets the shoulders involved.  Learning to grip hard from the beginning will save you some retraining down the road.  Im guilty of getting lazy in dry fire. 

Thanks I will have to work on my stance. I can feel the recoil pushing back on me and me having to settle back in after the shot.

I read about keeping grip pressure during dry fire in the book and it takes me to retell myself every few iterations or I'll start to slack off keeping support hand grip pressure during the dry fire drills.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'd second (or is it forty-second?) the motion to get one of the good dry fire manuals.  Really helps to learn things right the first time, rather than have to learn, unlearn, relearn, rinse, and repeat.  Ask me how I know.