Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading too short for my .40 Pro?

superslowmo

I had the same issues on a M&p 45, the extractor spring is too stiff causing it to hang. 

To test and verify, induce malfunction. Once malfunction is present set on flat surface. Take something hard, like a spare bullet, and press at the rear of the extractor on the outside of the slide. This will cause the extractor to open up and the slide should slam shut. If it shuts, you found the problem.

I ended up triming the extractor spring, like 3/4 of a coil or so, and resolved the problem. 

You can try loading longer, for me it seems to assure trouble free feeding.

180 grain Bear Creeks 1.45-1.50 in a factory barrel. Also works for 155 grain BCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've loaded 5k plus of the Bayou 180 gr TCG's at 1.115 o.a.l. and run them through 5' m&p pro and a std m&p 4.25 with zero problems. I have also used these same rds in 2 different STI Eagles in matches with no problem (even though the Eagles feed smoother with a longer o.a.l.).

I load both 180 Blue Bullets and Bullet Works 180 (plated) at 1.15 and they work great in both the M&P and my Para Pro Custom. 

I "did" have a similar problem when my M&P was brand new and running the factory recoil spring ... (looked just like that!!). 

Moved down to 13lb spring and "no problem" and now running an 11lb since the 40s are loaded way down for Production anyhow. :ph34r:

Fantastic information from everyone, I really appreciate it.  Tomorrow I will be headed to the range to try some rounds of varying length, as well as I have some new magazine springs that should be hitting my doorstep from Wolff today.

I had also loaded some Eggleston 165's per the load recommendation on their site with the same results as the Bayou's, so I am curious as to whether it's OAL for the rounds, or the mag springs.

On 7/3/2017 at 7:41 AM, superslowmo said:

Fantastic information from everyone, I really appreciate it.  Tomorrow I will be headed to the range to try some rounds of varying length, as well as I have some new magazine springs that should be hitting my doorstep from Wolff today.

I had also loaded some Eggleston 165's per the load recommendation on their site with the same results as the Bayou's, so I am curious as to whether it's OAL for the rounds, or the mag springs.

I'm telling you, your extractor spring is too tight.  Look at the second picture you posted, the case is hung on the extractor in the rear. The extractor isn't over the case rim. I've been there and fought the same issue until I finally figured it out. Test it per my previous post. You should be able to induce the malfunction by slowly closing the slide by hand with a loaded mag. 

1 hour ago, ClintMorris said:

I'm telling you, your extractor spring is too tight.  Look at the second picture you posted, the case is hung on the extractor in the rear. The extractor isn't over the case rim. I've been there and fought the same issue until I finally figured it out. Test it per my previous post. You should be able to induce the malfunction by slowly closing the slide by hand with a loaded mag. 

I would chase that exclusively if it happened on factory rounds (which it doesn't).

I couldn't get out yesterday with anything else other than what I already had (and some factory Winchester and Federal).  With new mag springs the reloaded round FTF's were reduced, but not quite gone (+/-5% or so, all mags).  Factory ran 100%.

In the next couple of days I will have a chance to load some more rounds and give it a shot again.

51 minutes ago, superslowmo said:

I would chase that exclusively if it happened on factory rounds (which it doesn't).

Mine happened only with reloads as well (on my 45). I tightened up the crimp and it helped but still had trouble and the extractor spring ended up fixing it. 

When you reload, does is it occur when it auto forwardsr, dropping the mag release, or going over the top?

1 hour ago, superslowmo said:

> snip <

With new mag springs the reloaded round FTF's were reduced, but not quite gone (+/-5% or so, all mags).  Factory ran 100%.

> snip <

Soooo ... the recoil spring you are using now works good with factory ammo ...

Are your reloads lighter?? (lower PF)

If so you might try a "lighter" recoil spring ..

At least those "fresh" mag springs slowed that slide down little ... made it a little harder to strip a round off ... :mellow:

Try longer if they'll plunk.

I lost my Blue data apparently, but fairly certain I loaded them as long as would plunk and/or fit the mag.

Aftermarket barrel may be reamed different, but I load the SNS 180 at 1.16, I want to say the Blues loaded to the same. Lee 175 is the shortest I've had to go at 1.15.

4 hours ago, ClintMorris said:

Mine happened only with reloads as well (on my 45). I tightened up the crimp and it helped but still had trouble and the extractor spring ended up fixing it. 

When you reload, does is it occur when it auto forwardsr, dropping the mag release, or going over the top?

Interesting to say the least.  I have my crimp dead on, zero flare, almost perfectly flat, and when I pull the bullet there is absolutely no impression or anything on the round.

I have had it hang up on "auto-forward", mag release, over the top, as well as slingshotting.

3 hours ago, pete627 said:

Soooo ... the recoil spring you are using now works good with factory ammo ...

Are your reloads lighter?? (lower PF)

If so you might try a "lighter" recoil spring ..

At least those "fresh" mag springs slowed that slide down little ... made it a little harder to strip a round off ... :mellow:

The factory rounds I fired yesterday that ran 100% were Winchester WB 165's (chrono'd at 168 PF), Federal AE 165's (181 PF).  My reloads at a 173 PF (the Bayou 180's), and the Eggleston 165's at 183PF (their suggested load data was a bit hot).  I am not convinced a lighter recoil spring will solve my issue here.

Edited by superslowmo

On 6/29/2017 at 9:15 PM, ClintMorris said:

I had the same issues on a M&p 45, the extractor spring is too stiff causing it to hang. 

To test and verify, induce malfunction. Once malfunction is present set on flat surface. Take something hard, like a spare bullet, and press at the rear of the extractor on the outside of the slide. This will cause the extractor to open up and the slide should slam shut. If it shuts, you found the problem.

I ended up triming the extractor spring, like 3/4 of a coil or so, and resolved the problem. 

This is it. The round isn't camming up under the extractor because it's too tight. Clint has solved your problem.

By-the-way, weak magazine springs generally cause nosedives.

I took Clint's advice and managed to duplicate things today here at home.  Rarely did it catch, but the few times it did I gave a slight push to the extractor and it would go into battery.

The interesting part is, that it was the only way I could manipulate it to get it to chamber in this condition.

So I took 1 1/2 coils off the extractor spring.  It still caught a couple of times BUT if I tapped the base of the magazine it chambered the round.....

I'll take it out to the range again tomorrow and see if this has resoved the issue.

On 7/5/2017 at 7:24 PM, superslowmo said:

I took Clint's advice and managed to duplicate things today here at home.  Rarely did it catch, but the few times it did I gave a slight push to the extractor and it would go into battery.

The interesting part is, that it was the only way I could manipulate it to get it to chamber in this condition.

So I took 1 1/2 coils off the extractor spring.  It still caught a couple of times BUT if I tapped the base of the magazine it chambered the round.....

I'll take it out to the range again tomorrow and see if this has resoved the issue.

Ok cool, sounds like under live fire it should more than likely run fine. Only issue is if you trim off too much it might have trouble extracting due to not enough tension. Interested to know if my advice for sure resolved it

Ok cool, sounds like under live fire it should more than likely run fine. Only issue is if you trim off too much it might have trouble extracting due to not enough tension. Interested to know if my advice for sure resolved it

I wasn't able to get out last week, but should be headed to the range shortly.
I bought some 165gr Frontiers (TCJ) that I am going to try as well to see how they run.
I have high hopes this issue is resolved, and would like to have this pistol up and running 100% with reloads as well as factory.

So took it out yesterday.

It ran without a single issue with my new 165gr Frontier load at 170pf, as well as the previous BB 180's and factory WWB, and Federal AE.

As far as the Eg's go, it just didn't like that load. Still failing to feed, and now a periodic FTE.... I won't be loading that most likely and stick with BB's and Frontiers.

On 7/14/2017 at 3:38 PM, superslowmo said:

So took it out yesterday.

It ran without a single issue with my new 165gr Frontier load at 170pf, as well as the previous BB 180's and factory WWB, and Federal AE.

Awesome, sounds like that corrected your problem!