Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 FTF

NateTSU

Good evening evryone, I am having some trouble with my 1911. I am getting failure to feeds fairly regularly. The gun is a Ruger  SR1911 that I have about 300 rounds through. Mags are factory Ruger and 3 MecGar 8 round mags. The rounds nose diving in the mags, slipping forward on the first round and jamming into the top of the barrel when the slide is returning to battery. The bullets have a pretty bad gouge that deforms the nose and breaks through the coating. Bullet is a 200gr SWC loaded to 1.225.  The MecGar mags fit looser and have more play up and down than the factory Ruger ones. This is my first 1911 and I am.not sure how to fix this problem, any help is appreciated. 

45 ACP? If so, an OAL of 1.225 might be a tad short for that pistol. Saami dimensions show an OAL range of 1.19-1.275. Back when I was reloading 45, I loaded to 1.245 OAL with a light crimp. Does the pistol feed factory ammo?

Have you always had problems with the pistol or has it just started this recently? If this is a new pistol that won't run factory ammo, I would send it back to the manufacturer. 

The other thing to consider is how old are the magazine springs? In my experience with the 1911 platform, most feeding issues are magazine related but there are other issues that can cause the problems. 

Good luck to you!

15 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

that SWC needs to be loaded 1.250-1.260

+1

I just dug out my old load data for 200 Gr lead SWC and I was loading that particular projectile to 1.260. 

Thanks J MIKE, I will make a test batch of longer COAL. It's not brand new the previous owner said he shot less than 50 rounds through it. I haven't tried any factory ammo yet just my reloads. The MecGar mags are brand new they have 1 range trip on them. 

I noticed that the bullet looks like it's set back down in the case. SWC have a shoulder that you can use to set the OAL of the round.

You should have just a little revel (about a fingernail thickness) above the end of the case mouth.

On another note I have a SR1911 and it won't feed anything other than round nose bullets. you may want to try that.

I have a similar issue in my Kimber. I have to load SWC longer to feed, but there isn't enough throat in the chamber, so the rounds stick. I ended up just swapping to round nose bullets and haven't had any problems since. 

I have a similar issue in my Kimber. I have to load SWC longer to feed, but there isn't enough throat in the chamber, so the rounds stick. I ended up just swapping to round nose bullets and haven't had any problems since. 

Wow, a three post burst.

Any road, I am leaning the same way.  MOST of my .45s will feed semiwadcutters well, but not all.  I have two that positively will not and another that is finicky as to the exact load and OAL.  Roundnose is the easy way out.  Missouri Bullets 200 gr Oddball did ok in limited trials but 230s are always with us.

Switching to a round nose or loading COAL SWC longer seems to be the solution. I am going to try to get to the range this week sometime. If my SWC load doesn't I will order some 230 round nose bullets. 

I had this partial feed problem with Sellier & Bellot hard ball on a training day but it was the (big name) mag not the 1911. This was a Colt 1911 (commemorative) with the military feed ramps and barrel and usually feeds everything. I bought it used no box and tightened it up and changed the sights. Always ran fine.. Very irritating when it hiccuped. But the other three mags ran fine.  As a side note. If you have a late model 38 Super from Colt the new mags may come with 9mm springs and are NOT reliable, they let the follower move around in the mag. So I put in 45 acp mag springs....

In my experience, some 1911's just do not like to feed semi wadcutters. My Kimber hates any type of them, no matter the OAL. A back up Springfield RO is just about as bad, but the Blue Bullet profile does fine. Using plain old roundnose fixed all of those issues. Funny thing about my Kimber is it will not feed Berry's 230 grain well. Have no idea why, but it goes to show the 1911 can be finicky.

1.  Check/adjust cartridge OAL.

2.  Tune magazines.

3.  Check/adjust feed ramp angle and break-over point.

4.  Get a smaller sizing die to eliminate bullet setback (this should prob be #1 b/c it's a safety issue).

Also, set crimp to factory dimensions. The easiest way is to measure the crimp of a factory round then set your die accordingly.  Be sure and take the measurement with the jaws of your micrometer half on and half off the mouth of the case. 

Generally speaking, if (when feeding) the cartridges nose dive, then a magazine spring is suspect. If a failure to feed occurs where the cartridge has stopped (as in your first photo), then the extractor is the problem. It is too tight in the gun and won't allow the round to cam under the hook.

For the nose diving round simply install a new magazine spring. For the failure to fully chamber the extractor needs re-tuning, or perhaps replacing. If you do replace it spend the extra bucks for an Aftec. They can't be beat.

Bill Wilson's magazines have been the best for almost forty years. I was using them when he and Mr. Rogers were partnered up.

Edited by MikieM