Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mythic ESP Gun?: SP01 Shadow with magwell

Quirk

Did a search here and about, could not find what I thought I read a few months back.

Anyone have an SP01 Shadow WITH a magwell that is ESP legal now, with the rule change? I would have assumed this gun - with a magwell -  would still be too heavy (>43 oz) and/or too big...but then, I have a 75 Shadow with magwell that fits fine and comes in nicely underweight.  I assume the dimensions of the 75 Shadow = the SP01 shadow, as the only difference is the frame which is still a 75 lineage body...and the mags are all interchangeable...

Thx

Quirk

Well, it's poor form to answer your own question, but I was in the neighborhood of The CZ Custom Shop and swung in. In fact a Shadow Custom SP01 with a mag well with magazine inserted does just barely fit in the IDPA box and comes in at 42.8 oz... 

10 hours ago, Quirk said:

Well, it's poor form to answer your own question, but I was in the neighborhood of The CZ Custom Shop and swung in. In fact a Shadow Custom SP01 with a mag well with magazine inserted does just barely fit in the IDPA box and comes in at 42.8 oz... 

Interesting. I wonder how much the fpb weighs...

Do you have a stainless guide rod?

It's metal, I actually don't know if it's stainless or not.

Don't have any idea how much the firing pin block contributes to weight. It's that darned full length dust cover. My old shadow didn't quite make the old weight threshold. CZ custom offered to mill out some metal inside. I just went instead with the 75 Shadow for IDPA then. now the higher weight allowance changes my strategy.  With the magwell it adds some weight, but the shorter grips (to accommodate the magwell) save you a fraction of an ounce. The magazine actually has to be pushed in to fit, and the top of the rear sight scrapes the side. But I could put lower profile rear sight on it and it'd fit easily then...  I think it's a keeper.

(The new Shadow 2 is grossly overweight and not a contender, so it's the original CZ SP01 Shadow only that works)

Q

I was shooting a 1911 in ESP, and I put a Ed Brown magwell on it.  Helped reloading that pistol a lot!  

I am now shooting an Accu Shadow in ESP, and I find that the combination of internal beveling of the frame and the tapered mags works pretty well, and I don't really need a magwell. 

At least, I am happy without one, and I have no plans to add one to my Shadow.  

On 7/1/2017 at 7:38 PM, Ken6PPC said:

I was shooting a 1911 in ESP, and I put a Ed Brown magwell on it.  Helped reloading that pistol a lot!  

I am now shooting an Accu Shadow in ESP, and I find that the combination of internal beveling of the frame and the tapered mags works pretty well, and I don't really need a magwell. 

At least, I am happy without one, and I have no plans to add one to my Shadow.  

So the Accu is ESP legal then?  Been awhile since I last looked into that but I recalled some controversy...

Q

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 9:43 AM, daytona955i said:

Interesting. I wonder how much the fpb weighs...

Do you have a stainless guide rod?

I get 42.5 with my SP01 Shadow. Stainless guide rod, CZC magwell, and CZC base plate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 10:50 AM, kells81 said:

I am running an accushadow with an aluminum magwell  and grips from Armory Craft.  It makes weight and fits in the box.   

Pics please!

Q

awesome. My custom shadow (not accu) with the CZ magwell and CZ Al grips, and compatible mags, is 42.8 oz. So your gun, with that bushing....I assume those grips and magwell are considerable lighter than their CZC counterparts.

Any idea what that bushing weighs?

Q

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, Quirk said:

awesome. My custom shadow (not accu) with the CZ magwell and CZ Al grips, and compatible mags, is 42.8 oz. So your gun, with that bushing....I assume those grips and magwell are considerable lighter than their CZC counterparts.

Any idea what that bushing weighs?

Q

I had mine out just now while cleaning.  So, I put it on a scale for you.  118.8 grains was the weight of my Accu Bushing.  

Cutting the threads and replacing the stock bushing probably makes this a wash, or very little weight difference...  

Edited by Ken6PPC

On 8/12/2017 at 6:47 PM, Ken6PPC said:

I had mine out just now while cleaning.  So, I put it on a scale for you.  118.8 grains was the weight of my Accu Bushing.  

Cutting the threads and replacing the stock bushing probably makes this a wash, or very little weight difference...  

Cool thank you

q

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 11:31 PM, Quirk said:

Cool thank you

q

I had a bunch of photos here somewhere of different configurations.   My Shadow upper and ascu-shadow upper weighed the same on the scale.  My Shadow Orange upper on the other hand was a bit heavier.   

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/30/2017 at 11:50 AM, kells81 said:

I am running an accushadow with an aluminum magwell  and grips from Armory Craft.  It makes weight and fits in the box.   

I just ordered this magwell/grip setup and going to a SAO trigger. I have 18 round SP01 mags and 17 round Mecgars, what base plates have you found to work with this magwell?