Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X Five and releasing the striker out of battery

ArrDave

So a buddy lent me an X Five to play around with.  It's a pretty sweet gun, but I noticed that the slide would stick very slightly out of battery, when fired would release the slide all the way forward and release the striker.  I verified this by putting a pencil in the barrel and seeing it launch the same as a regular striker hit.  I did some checking and Mas Ayoob wrote up that this is a "feature" for stand off capability... that said I personally know of at least 1 shooter locally to have an OOB KB and on here I saw someone else's X5 did the same thing and there's one other instance on reddit of a vanilaa P320 FS doing it.  

I thought initially this was catastrophically bad because the slide sticks out on press checks and obviously "make ready" would be an issue when chambering the initial round.  No issues test firing the thing but I'm curious what your experiences have been with this platform. Is this truly a feature or potentially a flaw?  Or do we need to embrace the power of "and" in this situation? 

Despite what the gun "expert" suggests, I highly doubt this is an intentional added "feature".  Any unsafe condition is going to outweigh the supposed benefits.  And I can't believe a company like Sig, with their experience, would be dumb enough not to realize it.  If they are, I'm sure they'll wake up when the first law suit is filed.

6 hours ago, ArrDave said:

I did some checking and Mas Ayoob wrote up that this is a "feature" for stand off capability..

I've seen where Ayoob has commented that it has stand off capability.  I've seen nowhere where he connects that stand off capability to the slide being slightly out of battery.  Are you sure you're not making an assumption about that connection?  The slide should all the way into battery after each shot.

Also, does it hang slightly out of battery every time when firing the pistol?  Or does this happen when you insert a mag and lower the mag down to battery by hand?  If you slingshot the slide and let the spring slam it forward, will it still hang slightly out of battery?

32 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

I've seen where Ayoob has commented that it has stand off capability.  I've seen nowhere where he connects that stand off capability to the slide being slightly out of battery.  Are you sure you're not making an assumption about that connection?  The slide should all the way into battery after each shot.

Also, does it hang slightly out of battery every time when firing the pistol?  Or does this happen when you insert a mag and lower the mag down to battery by hand?  If you slingshot the slide and let the spring slam it forward, will it still hang slightly out of battery?

You're right, I'm assuming that's what he means by it.  Loading a magazine initially I could see it hanging up on a round and sticking partially out of battery depending on how you charged the round.  I didn't notice any issues firing.  

It really is like a glock with a tuned trigger with an over travel that wont' quite go all the way into battery if you gingerly manipulate the slide, but the trigger is live with the slide out of battery slightly.  

As I mentioned - the barrel doesn't appear to start unlocking from the slide just yet in this position.  

There's a video on youtube of a guy with a P320 whose slide would hang just out of battery if he sort of slid the slide to that point then let it go, but when firing it, it worked fine.  Or if he let the recoil spring drive the whole way, it worked fine.  Sounds similar to your situation.   He called Sig and wanted to send it in for them to fix.  He said that at first, they were resistant taking it back, but ultimately agreed, and when it was returned to the owner, the slide would no longer hang at that point at all.  The work order said they had "honed slide".  So they did a little polishing for him.

He never said specifically what they said when they were resistant to taking it back to fix, just that it happened, but I suspect they advised him to fire a few hundred rounds through it. It was probably something that would have worked itself out as it broke in.

As to firing out of battery, most pistols will fire a little out of battery.  Whether or not this issue with the 320 is likely to lead to that, I have no idea.  But I DO know that lots of people are out there loading their own ammo who have no idea that they can load certain bullets long enough to engage their rifling and hold the slide just out of battery, so that would be my first suspicion for an OOB detonation. ;)  

As I sit here and think about it, I guess it's possible that you could catch the slide or the front sight on the holster as you were putting the pistol in place and push the slide slightly backward out of battery, but it seems unlikely someone would be holstering the pistol with enough force to do that.  I just don't see catching that front sight, then powering through it to get the pistol into the holster. ;) 

As to firing out of battery, most pistols will fire a little out of battery.  Whether or not this issue with the 320 is likely to lead to that, I have no idea.  But I DO know that lots of people are out there loading their own ammo who have no idea that they can load certain bullets long enough to engage their rifling and hold the slide just out of battery, so that would be my first suspicion for an OOB detonation. [emoji6]  

This is exactly my point. I had my reloads developed for my CZs with me when I shot it. The very last round was a touch to long and stuck in the rifling some. Later on when I realized what was happening I got a little concerned as I had 125 TCs at 1.110 and it got in the rifling, could have gone bad.

Similarly, at make ready you could not close the slide with enough energy and have that same problem, or if you braced on a barricade, or whatever. The chance is remote, but in the realm of the possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My X5 hung a bit if you eased the slide forward. After a bit of lube and 1000 rounds it doesn't do it any more. Swapping parts back and forth with another X5 the difference seemed to be in the slide itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

My friend's sig 320 rx seems to fire out of battery too, and the barrel appears to be short chambered, not enough case support...see pictures.2afbafa0b2c58aa08199f590aef2f4f8.jpgb340ac1d8affc758ed97e6670b3124de.jpgf6d9da50e92eff2a56904ce9884e965c.jpg

On 7/12/2017 at 8:04 PM, g mac said:

My friend's sig 320 rx seems to fire out of battery too, and the barrel appears to be short chambered, not enough case support...see pictures.2afbafa0b2c58aa08199f590aef2f4f8.jpg

DAFUQ?  That's not cool.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys getting those pregnant fired cases.  Are you guys plunk testing the rounds in the barrel to make sure they're not too long?

It's hard to believe that Sig would cut the chambers with a headspacing step that held the bullet that far out of the chamber.  It seem like it must be bullet-to-rifling contact that's holding them that far out of the chamber.  That's WAY worse than the old Glock blisters where it expanded a little into the feed ramp.  These bulges appear to be all the way around the case. 

Lead is off the rifling and I shockbottle every round prior to it going into our Border Shift bag. 

I think Robert has mine in good shape now though.  It now goes into battery by itself and I'm running a 14# spring.  The last two range trips, no issues (knock on wood).

• 1 year later...

Went to the range yesterday with my year old p320 xfive serial ending in 574 and had a kaboom. Just like you guys are describing. The slide was “sticky” and occasionally had to force it shut. Definitely fired out of battery. It fused the shell in the chamber and blew the case head completely off, taking the extractor and safety plunger/spring with it. Luckily No one was hurt. I’m a New Hampshire resident, so I dropped the gun off to Sig. I’ll be curious to see what the factory has to say as the pro shop staff was hinting towards being “ammo related”. Very disappointed with the company lately. My p365 has had issues also, but has since been resolved. 

Edited by Jimbo9
Typo

My X5 is bulging cases pretty hard. I posted photos elsewhere.

I bought it second hand though so I am stuck with it. They wont warrant it and again blame the ammo. 

SIG have no new barrels in stock and they are $299. 

A barsto is only $230 but wont be production legal in IPSC for me. Also very hard to get in Australia. 

Very disappointed in Sig. 

Here is my chamber compared to other, better guns. I don't feel real safe shooting it TBH. 

I really wish I didn't sell my glock to fund this piece of crap. 

barrels.JPG