Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

That's fair.  Just be upfront and tell people no comments please.  It's tempting to put something there to ID the transaction but that's only because the trust hasn't been built yet.  

I was tempted to say "enjoy your time on the Brazos" for my Brazos Limited purchase...but didn't.  Hah.  

On 6/25/2017 at 0:25 PM, Youngeyes said:

Make sure he sends it as gift money and makes no mention of a transaction. Transfer the money into your bank as soon as the funds are released. I've never had an issue. 

This is what I've done in the past. 

• 4 weeks later...

I accept PayPal in my business to make sure I get paid from people I do not know.  Allows them to use credit cards.  I figure in the percentage hit on the final invoice so I lose anly minimally.

Y have accepted up to a couple thousand dollars with no problems.  One thing you have to be very careful of is fake emails claiming your account is frozen or advising you to change passwords.  I get those emails a couple times a month and they are always fake.  I report them to PayPal every time.

I also leave a minimal balance if any and transfer immediately into an attached account.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, Youngeyes said:

Make sure he sends it as gift money and makes no mention of a transaction. Transfer the money into your bank as soon as the funds are released. I've never had an issue. 

So, I am supposed to lie so PayPal will "allow" me to use their services?  PayPal is trying to regulate the gun industry by putting their own policies in place, and I choose to not play by their rules!  

I try REALLY hard to not support ANY anti-gun business.  

I agree they are awfully big, but I don't want to support them and allow them to "feed" and "grow" on my dime. 

A postal money order is safer, and protects both the seller and the buyer.  Federal laws apply if you don't get what you pay for - that's mail fraud...    

Using PayPal just because it is  "convenient" feels a lot like compromising my own personal principals!  (Not the mention the lying part...)  

Edited by Ken6PPC

2 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

So, I am supposed to lie so PayPal will "allow" me to use their services?  PayPal is trying to regulate the gun industry by putting their own policies in place, and I chose to not play by their rules!  

I try REALLY hard to not support ANY anti-gun business.  

I agree they are awfully big, but I don't want to support them and allow them to "feed" and "grow" on my dime. 

A postal money order is safer, and protects both the seller and the buyer.  Federal laws apply if you don't get what you pay for - that's mail fraud...    

Using PayPal just because it is  "convenient" feels a lot like compromising my own personal principals!  (Not the mention the lying part...)  

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend that you are not not calling me an unprincipled liar, Sir. 

4 minutes ago, Youngeyes said:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend that you are not not calling me an unprincipled liar, Sir. 

LOL!  Not my intention at all! 

Sorry if you took it that way.  

2 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

This is not consistent with my experience with a Postal Money Order; I bought a gun on Armslist, sent a MO, and the seller never sent the gun.  I went through all the proper channels to report the fraud and the response was something like 'we have filed your complaint, if more people make similar complaints about the same person we may investigate'.

I had the guy's name, address, phone number, a picture of his ID, and the serial number of the gun, all of which I gave to federal postal investigator and the chief of police in his home town and got no response from anyone.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Just now, kneelingatlas said:

My experience with a Postal Money Order is not consistent with this statement; I bought a gun on Armslist, sent a MO, and the seller never sent the gun.  I went through all the proper channels to report the fraud and the response was something like 'we have filed your complaint, if more people make similar complaints about the same person we may investigate'.

I had the guy's name, address, phone number, a picture of his ID, and the serial number of the gun, all of which I gave to federal postal investigator and the chief of police in his home town and got no response from anyone.

Wow!  That is not encouraging at all!  

How do you send payments now?  

Just now, Ken6PPC said:

Wow!  That is not encouraging at all!  

How do you send payments now?  

I use Bitcoin any chance I get, but I also send Bill pay checks from my bank or PayPal gifts.  Like you I'm not wild about patronizing a business which advocates against my freedom, but I respect them more than the federal government :sight::roflol:

Hmm, interesting.  I don't know about Bitcoin, and it would take some convincing before I would accept it for something I was selling.  Doesn't that fluctuate, increasing and decreasing in value?  Sounds risky to me...  

Is a Bill Pay check from your bank more secure than a Postal Money Order?  Will the bank get your funds back if you are defrauded?  

As for PayPal, if you do send funds by PayPal gift, you have NO RECOURSE at all!  When you do that, you have already stated that you sent the funds as a gift, and expect nothing in return...  

Doesn't leave many options...  

Agreed. With a PayPal gift, Bitcoin, or (in my experience) Postal Money Order there is no buyer's protection, but if anyone we're going to help me out I would bet on my bank with a bill pay check.

I've found the best protection is our social network here, those of us with thousands of posts and years invested in this forum are eager to maintain our reputations, when I deal with someone unknown to me, I'll sometimes ask around with members I know in the same area and on one occasion where I couldn't get anyone to vouch for the seller, I asked him to send the gun before I sent the money.  I know it sounds crazy, but it's probably a lot easier to get the gun back from the FFL, than the money back from the seller if the deal goes south.

I bought and sold a few things here on BE (nothing large), and have had no

problem dealing with BE members who have MANY posts.

Selling, I required a personal check and waited for it to clear the bank before

I shipped.

A very small item ($35 holster), I sent in the check and he mailed it right

out, without any problem.

Very convenient to take or spend a personal check, and have it clear BEFORE

shipping - but, I've never done a large deal before.

PayPal is MUCH too complex for me - I'm too old for that    :( 

9 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

When you buy a Postal money order,the post office does not know why you are buying it. It!s not printed with anyone's name .

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 9:25 AM, Youngeyes said:

This.

On 6/25/2017 at 6:19 AM, armydad said:

Nothing negative I've experienced. The money shows up in your Paypal account. You do what you want with it from there. Full disclosure, I've paid a lot with Paypal and it is fine as you said. I've only once received money from a sale. I used it to buy something as opposed to transferring it to another account.

If they try that you will get your money back or they can be charged with theft. 

• 1 year later...

Glad to see that people are already accepting paypal and bitcoin in their businesses thus making it the next "big thing" that should influence our future. Considering the amount of people mining bitcoin according to this hashflare review https://cloudminingpro.net/hashflare/ we should really see different branches of our lives adapting to new technologies quite soon

• 1 month later...

The advantage of using regular PayPal as a buyer ~ for a non-firearm transaction ~ is that if there is a problem with the item, PayPal will guarantee you get a refund. If you’re the seller and the buyer is lying you have to jump through hoops to get your item returned or keep the payment. It’s definitely to the buyer’s advantage.

PayPal Gift option offers no protection to either buyer or seller as it’s meant for just that: gifts. Only. 

Using any any form of PayPal for a firearm transaction offers you zero protection as a buyer or seller. Why would you want to do that?

My understanding is that even cashier's checks and other types of bank transactions can be reversed after being sent. Obviously this is rare but if my bank deposits some $25 fee fancy bank check product from a Savings and Loan in North Dakota how the heck do they know it's legit? They still will place a week long hold on it until they have the funds. 

USPS Money Orders are my preference for firearms transactions. If either party is a bad actor then they are committing Mail Fraud with more severe penalties than regular theft. And while submitting a claim to the Post Office is important, what you really need to do is call the police and report a crime.

If somebody steals from you, call law enforcement. Cyber crime may not be a priority but they do attend to it in my experience. Perhaps a LEO can comment? The one time I needed to do this it took a year to prosecute the case but I received full restitution. 

Granted I will use PayPal for smaller items or with people I feel comfortable with. I've never had a bad experience with people from this forum or a couple of other places where people have track records and value their reputation. For any large transaction I like to do a phone call and chat a bit to size them up. It isn't foolproof but it makes for a better experience all around. 

Edited by Frankly

• 9 months later...
On 10/8/2018 at 1:08 AM, MoonSway said:

Glad to see that people are already accepting paypal and bitcoin in their businesses thus making it the next "big thing" that should influence our future. Considering the amount of people mining bitcoin according to this hashflare review https://cloudminingpro.net/hashflare/ we should really see different branches of our lives adapting to new technologies quite soon

I also think that it is great that people accept PayPal and Bitcoin. Modern technologies open doors and creat new opportunities. I started using cryptocurrency not long ago, and I still need to learn how to mine Bitcoin, but I've already found out the advantages of being a crypto user. By the way, thanks for sharing the link!

• 2 months later...

I dropped PayPal a couple months back.

I kept getting these small charges to my discover card labeled "paypal services".  No one at paypal would respond to my questions other than to send me an e-mail to use their "canned" troubleshooting questions/responses for any issues I was having.

Two months I called Discover card and contested those "service charges" of anywhere from $.86 to just under $3.  There would be 4 or 5 a month on my discover card.

These "service charges" didn't show up on my Paypal account info either.  I stopped using paypal for a month or so prior to closing my account with them.  Even when I didn't use paypal my discover card was still getting "service charges."

I never sold/received payment using paypal.  I just bought stuff with it, sometimes.

I have no idea what the issue was, I just know that paypal didn't show any interest in helping me figure it out and stop it so I'm done with them.