Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR 4166

jo jo

I run it in 308 under 168gr Amax or BTHP bullets. Accuracy is decent (around 3/4MOA), not Varget level, but I also haven't done any load development. It seemed a little flashy when I ran it in my 308 AR with an 18" barrel at an indoor range to do sight in. Rifles are definitely easier to clean as another positive, but my shoulder also thinks the recoil is a bit snappier than varget.

Overall it seems like a decent option. YMMV but if you're not hunting for loads to make the absolute smallest groups possible it's definitely a viable alternative and generally easy to find on shelves.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

Well I'm starting with a new rifle and scope savage 10 fcp 308 with vortex viper mostly for paper punching 200-500 yards imr 4166 and 168gr amax , so this will be a total new load work up kinda my summer project if you will , wanting to try the 4166 I had a rem700 308 that did well with 4064 and 4166 looks to be same burn rate 

I talk to a bunch of guys that shoot F class.  Most of them tell me that Varget is still the king.  I know a couple guys that actually switched back to H4895 even when pushing 200+ gr bullets.

I see no reason that 4166 wouldnt work just fine.  308 is a pretty tolerant caliber, and will work with lot of different combinations of powders and bullets and yield decent accuracy.