Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What centerfire do you shoot for Steel Challenge

Gameplayer

9 hours ago, RickT said:

What Division do you want to shoot?  If you're a 1911 SS Elitist Club honorary member you should shoot SS!

14 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

whatever i'm currently shooting in uspsa.

YES and YES

yeah, i don't think "ohhhh, this will be a good centerfire gun for steel challenge" when i'm deciding what to buy or shoot at the steel challenge match. instead i just grab the gun and gear for whatever uspsa division i'm currently shooting and that''s that.

if a gun is good enough for me to shoot in uspsa then it's probably good enough for me to shoot in steel challenge.

though i'm sure there are people out there who feel a certain gun or gun features might be intrinsically better for steel challenge alone, but i am not one of them and don't know those things.

I used to shoot my USPSA Open gun until I converted my CZ TS to a dedicated Steel gun.  I'm in the process of building a dedicated 1911 9mm for Steel.  Then I will also put either my Marvel Unit 1 or my custom race conversion on it for RFPO.

I will say it is better to shoot the same gun, or guns that are set up so similarly you don't play find the dot.  I'm in the process of converting all the frame mounted dots to slide mounted (I have way more slide mounted) to eliminate that problem.

30 minutes ago, zzt said:

I used to shoot my USPSA Open gun until I converted my CZ TS to a dedicated Steel gun.  I'm in the process of building a dedicated 1911 9mm for Steel.  Then I will also put either my Marvel Unit 1 or my custom race conversion on it for RFPO.

I will say it is better to shoot the same gun, or guns that are set up so similarly you don't play find the dot.  I'm in the process of converting all the frame mounted dots to slide mounted (I have way more slide mounted) to eliminate that problem.

Funny that you wrote this as I'm nearly identical.  I'm in the process of building a 9mm Single Stack for both steel and USPSA but I've already started shooting RFPO on the frame with a Marvel Unit 1 and will also have a Marvel Unit 1 for RFRI with the same frame.  This way it's basically 3 guns in one for consistency of grip, trigger, etc.  

My lack of mobility has prevented me from shooting USPSA for years.

I am now fighting arthritis and neuropathy in my hands.

I no longer shoot 1911's and the squeeze cocking mechanism of the P7 irritates my hands.

I went to the shooting range and tested a few guns (9mm). Polymer framed guns are a no go.

Fired a few steel guns (CZ, SIG, Tanfo). And while I could shoot those with no pain the triggers leave 

something to be desired. I don't much about these brands so that is why I asked the question.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Gameplayer said:

I no longer shoot 1911's and the squeeze cocking mechanism of the P7 irritates my hands.

I went to the shooting range and tested a few guns (9mm). Polymer framed guns are a no go.

Fired a few steel guns (CZ, SIG, Tanfo). And while I could shoot those with no pain the triggers leave 

something to be desired. I don't much about these brands so that is why I asked the question.

Thank you.

Is the no go on the 1911 due to the caliber or grip/safeties?   If you want a good trigger, the 1911 is your gold standard. Next after that would be a PCC/rimfire rifle.  

I've had surgeries on both my back and elbow so I've reluctantly stepped away from USPSA and have been shooting steel rimfire rifle and now pistol for the past few years.  Waaaaay easier on the body! Combine that with the data tracking inherent to Steel Challenge and it's addictive.   

I think a lot of guys' egos make them shy away from rimfire because they see it as a "kids gun," but what I've found is that rimfire in the hands of an expert is unbelievably fast. Solid, basic fundamentals are especially pronounced because with the inherent speed of the guns combined with the lack of a draw, a top shooter is given the venue to deliver sub 2 second runs--heck sub 1.75 runs--over and over.   

Edited by jkrispies

9 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Is the no go on the 1911 due to the caliber or grip/safeties?   If you want a good trigger, the 1911 is your gold standard. Next after that would be a PCC/rimfire rifle.  

I've had surgeries on both my back and elbow so I've reluctantly stepped away from USPSA and have been shooting steel rimfire rifle and now pistol for the past few years.  Waaaaay easier on the body! Combine that with the data tracking inherent to Steel Challenge and it's addictive.   

I think a lot of guys' egos make them shy away from rimfire because they see it as a "kids gun," but what I've found is that rimfire in the hands of an expert is unbelievably fast. Solid, basic fundamentals are especially pronounced because with the inherent speed of the guns combined with the lack of a draw, a top shooter is given the venue to deliver sub 2 second runs--heck sub 1.75 runs--over and over.   

I am old school when it comes to the 1911, there is only one caliber.

You can count me as one of those that shy away because of what you quoted.

Not interested in PCC/rimfire rifle. The eyes don't play well with a longer sight radius.

1 hour ago, Jmo2011 said:

For ease of operation and user comfort I'd choose a steel grip 2011 in 9mm with a lightened slide. 

I have spoken with Adam (Atlas Gunworks) about that very spec'd out gat.

I am still on the fence about it.

16 hours ago, Gameplayer said:

I am old school when it comes to the 1911, there is only one caliber.

You can count me as one of those that shy away because of what you quoted.

Not interested in PCC/rimfire rifle. The eyes don't play well with a longer sight radius.

There's a reason why most people in PCC and Rimfire Rifle use red dot optics.  While a few people shoot PCCI and RFRI, it is a tiny percentage compared to PCCO and RFRO. 

Thank you.

You didn't leave much on the table considering the standards are polymer or 1911, but if the CZ worked for you I highly recommend it. I love my CZ75, and if you send it to Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom you will have an amazing competition ready trigger when done- if you can stick to only having the trigger done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for the most part people at our speed steel shoot rim, buck marks, high standards, and alot of converted 45's   also shoot ar 15 conversions

i shoot a CZ accushadow lite, the trigger is smooth as butter, crisp and light  amazing pistol. even in single action its light. its something i think you might like and it might be easy on your hands. if we were close by id let you give her a run.... good luck and stay positive

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

G, go find a CZ 75 Tactical Sport and wrap your hand around it.  It's ready to go right out of the box with an excellent 2 lb. trigger and 3 mags.  It has the most comfortable grip of any pistol I own.