Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambi Bolt Release dedicated 9mm Lower?

So I'm starting a PCC build at the moment, however I don't see any manufacturer's making an ambi bolt release for the dedicated 9mm lowers. It's not a make or break option, however, all my other rifles have ambi bolt releases. I would prefer to keep a uniform feel across all my platforms.

Does anyone know of a dedicated 9mm Colt lower that offers ambi bolt release/catch?

The other option I saw was to spend $200+ on a 223/556 lower that has that function plus another $200 for the Hahns dedicated-style magwell block in order to convert the lower to 9mm, which will allow me to use the bolt release. If that's the case, Does anyone have experience with a Hahns magwell block? How reliable are they compared to a QuarterCircle10 (or other brands) 9mm dedicated lower? Any feeding / LRBHO issues? 

The Hahns block is sort of a last resort option since it's so costly, just to have ambi controls. I may just have to suck it up and retrain my muscle memory to use the standard bolt release location.

Edited by KzBoost
13 hours ago, mscott said:

What about the PDQ from Teal Blue Bravo?

I thought about it, but the 9mm bolt release uses a different design than the standard so it wouldnt work.

10 hours ago, mahamoti said:

The ADM UIC-9 is full ambi, but they haven't listed just the lower for sale yet; it's only available on their complete carbine.

The Hahn bottom load block has been 100% for me.

Too bad they dont offer their lowers.

Thanks for the feedback on the Hahns, I havent heard anyone having issues with them at all so maybe thats a good sign. What mags are you using?

3 hours ago, rishii said:

I run a magpul bad lever on my psa colt lower

the fit was kinda sloppy, so I Jb welded it the the bolt catch

I wanted to avoid it since they dont fit well and look horrible but this might have to be a solution rather than forking over an extra $200 for a billet receiver + hahn block.

Lefty shooting PCC here. The way I see it is that we're shooting in a division with uncapped magazine capacity; if you're running dry, you're doing something very wrong. 

I have an ambi safety, mag release, and CH on my build. BAD levers on the rest of my ARs because it does help if I'm ever doing bolt lock reloads. 

Edited by Xanatos903
14 minutes ago, Xanatos903 said:

Lefty shooting PCC here. The way I see it is that we're shooting in a division with uncapped magazine capacity; if you're running dry, you're doing something very wrong. 

I have an ambi safety, mag release, and CH on my build. BAD levers on the rest of my ARs because it does help if I'm ever doing bolt lock reloads. 

Sadly.. I live in a state with 10rd mag limit for these things. 

1 hour ago, KzBoost said:

What mags are you using?

All Metalform.  I've got one 2x32rd coupled with the Taccom coupler that runs great all the way from 64rds.  Plus a 32rd and some 20s for classifier type stuff with mandatory reloads.

I did have to tweak the mags a bit to get them to drop free.  I don't think that's a knock on the mag block as much as on the mags themselves.  The 20rd mags especially were wide front-to-back.  None of the 32rd mags had any issues.

Edited by mahamoti
5 minutes ago, mahamoti said:

All Metalform.  I've got one 2x32rd coupled with the Taccom coupler that runs great all the way from 64rds.  Plus a 32rd and some 20s for classifier type stuff with mandatory reloads.

I did have to tweak the mags a bit to get them to drop free.  I don't think that's a knock on the mag block as much as on the mags themselves.  The 20rd mags especially were wide front-to-back.  None of the 32rd mags had any issues.

Thanks for the feedback! I may just go that route for my PCC. Its a bit of a costly route just for an ambi bolt release but oh well. This "fun gun" that was supposed to save me money is turning out to be a pretty high priced $2k build lol....

Hello: Couldn't you use your left hand to release the bolt and your right hand to install the mag? Kinda like a pistol reload. The Strike Industries has good size pads on their release. I use a Hahn mag insert that goes in the bottom and is held in place with just one screw. It works very well with Metalform 20 and 32 round magazines. The 20 round ASC mags did not work in it but the 10 round ones do. I have not tried the Metalform 10 round magazines. You may want to look at the other PCC options out there also. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go with a QC10 Colt Lower and a Bad lever and use the extra cost savings towards my first reloading setup. Will definitely use metalform mags as everyone seems to like them. 

Mahalo