Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15- just to have one

JD45

I've shot pistol sports for years. I know nothing about ARs. 

But everyone's got one. 

If you were buying it just to play with and maybe shoot a match for fun and didnt plan on 3 gun, what would you buy?

I could add a trigger kit and scope later.  I just think I need one. 

I just bought one from ATI for $800, that has a nice trigger, a nice

handguard and an adjustable stock - fired it once so far, and it'

shoots very nicely.  Weighs only 6.6 lbs, w/o scope.  Nice people

to deal with.

I added an MTAC 1-4x scope for $380, with PEPR mounts, and

it is now all ready to shoot any competition, including 3-gun.    :)

Be careful, you can get a much less expensive rifle, but it will

have a Milspec trigger, which requires two hands to pull, and

no handguard, which is necessary for matches.   

A $600 rifle will easily cost you $900 or more to get one like

the ATI.   You will need some type sights for it - have to add

another $3-400 for a scope.

BTW, I tried this at the recommendation of MarkCo who seems

to know a LOT re:  3-gun rifles - he said he's using this in

comps this year, and he actually knows how to shoot one -

(I don't).

Good luck with it.

p.s.  I forgot, my new ATI also comes with a compensator on

it and it seems from my first outing to be pretty nice :) 

ATI says (and I believe them) that this gun is worth $1200

to $1600 ...   A really nice buy - good way to get started ....

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I know this isn't really the answer to the question you're asking, but I think one of the main reasons AR's are so popular is because they are easy and fun to build.  For that reason--and since you don't seem to be in any rush--I'd suggest that rather than buying one outright, consider purchasing parts and making your own.  Yes, it's ultimately less expensive to purchase one outright, but nothing quite beats the pride (and eventual product) of custom building your own firearm.  

Okay, back to actually answering your question...  Please define:  "Just to play with," and possibly even what your area's 3 Gun matches look like in terms of distance and targets, so that we can give you your best answer.  If both of the above answers simply mean shooting at most to 200 yards on USPSA-sized targets, then that necessitates a much simpler (read: less expensive) answer.  However, to some guys I know "just playing around" means shooting 400+ yards on 10"-12" plates, and that requires getting a bit more into the intricacies of this machine.  If nothing else, answering the two questions above will tell you what rifling twist you'll need, which can dramatically affect your choices when purchasing pre-built uppers.

Edited by jkrispies

I was the same as you, Jack. I shot and handled an M16A2 in my military career but never dealt with ARs afterwards. However I thought it would be nice to have one. I did a lot of research on this last year and ended up going with the Colt 6920. It is a very solid AR-15 that will shoot both 5.56 and .223 (a .223 should NOT shoot 5.56 continuously or really at all from my understanding, but a 5.56 can shoot both) and has a barrel twist to handle pretty much all ammo. It also comes with Milspec parts which is a benefit. Some ARs come with proprietary parts (I believe Ruger is one) so you will have a hard, if not impossible, time modifying it with certain aftermarket parts. Another reason Milspec comes in handy. 

There are are a some better than the Colt 6920, but there are a lot worse too. Mine came with irons already on it, but I ended up throwing on an EOTech OPMOD XPS red dot sight on top of it. ???

In short, there are a trillion ways you can go with ARs and building is one way if you are confident in that route. I didn't want to build my first one because of all of the intricacies. However I am considering building my next one because I think it would be fun to do and, just like reloading, you can make it your way when you know what you want. 

Right now, just to have, Ruger, under $500 gets you a basic well built carbine, it's not fancy, but should perform and Ruger typically has good CS if you need it. If I didn't have a basic 16" I'd probably be buying one of these.

Usually good prices on basic S&Ws as well, have shot one, no complaints.

JD

For a toy (not serious competition), I like the S&W M&P series. Good basic rifle with decent parts. Can be had for less than $500. I have one and like it a lot. It's my favorite range toy rifle, next to the 10/22. 

The Soringfield Saint looks promising. BiL has one. I can shoot MOA out to 300 (max limit of our range). 1:8 twist barrel and mid length gas system. It's a lot like what I would spec out for a build. They are running $750 around here, when they can be found. 

I also have a heavily modified Colt that I use fo CMP service rifle. It started Box stock because I didn't know better. A trip to Frank White at Compass Lake and now it actually shoot decent groups. Franks work cost more than the base rifle. 

I would not buy a Colt now. I am considering a Saint. Hoping they come out with an 18" barrel version and rifle gas system. 

I have a half of a dozen of them in four different calbers ,bought one new and one upper the rest was bought as part guns have not had a minutes trouble out of any of them. They are very easy to assemble and work on if your not in a rush to get one and you don't mind doing some research you can have the satisfaction of building your own and you'll know how to work on them and fix them if you ever have any problems in the future.

Thanks for the advice!

I guess to put it simple, I want the equivalent of a Glock 17.

Iron sights, no comp, 18" barrel.

And a twist to shoot surplus ammo and 55gr. bullets. I don't care about 600yd. matches.

42 minutes ago, JD45 said:

Thanks for the advice!

And a twist to shoot surplus ammo and 55gr. bullets. I don't care about 600yd. matches.

Any twist should work for you, then.  55's love 1:9.  My preference is 1:8, which shoots most anything well.  Having said that, I've shot a ton of 55's out of a 1:7, and it was never an issue.  

51 minutes ago, JD45 said:

Thanks for the advice!

16" barrel and midlength gas is what I would recommend for what you want.  Any reputable manufacturer will do.  

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 11:07 PM, JD45 said:

I've shot pistol sports for years. I know nothing about ARs. 

But everyone's got one. 

If you were buying it just to play with and maybe shoot a match for fun and didnt plan on 3 gun, what would you buy?

I could add a trigger kit and scope later.  I just think I need one. 

Check out an M&P15 sport gen2

Basically the M4 is an m16 with short barrel and collapsing stock. Otherwise same same. The actual differences between them are boring.

Right now everybody is making their own version with very very little that's distinct. It does not take a gunsmith to assemble one from parts and every company uses the same parts more or less.

Most barrels you'll see are 1:7 twist made for the longer 62 grain bullets, but it may (or may not) shoot 55s just fine. You pay a little bit extra for a 1:8 which is a hybrid that can probably shoot both... 1:9 is good for 55's

Just buy some different inexpensive ammo with your new rifle with different weight bullets and you'll find something that shoots 1.5 to 2.5 MOA no problem.

I know you said you want iron sights, but I would recommend buying one with out the fixed front sight... you can use a scope with a fixed front, no problem... but it will annoy you

If you buy one without sights just buy a set of the plastic magpul flip up sights. They work just as well as stock iron sights and are durable.

Palmetto State Armory is a quality budget rifle

I recommend something like this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-classic-freedom-11-keymod-rifle.html

Look at their page... sometimes they have crazy deals like this one today

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-lightweight-m-lok-a2-ept-rifle-516446246.html

The second one above really looks like a good deal.  A better trigger and you'd be all set - except deciding on what to use for sighting equipment.  You could always start out with a good, inexpensive red dot.  Primary Arms has some good ones that won't break the bank - and are good on warranties.

The 1st recommendation from PSA that DT posted would be a good start. Just buy some folding irons to place on top of the rails and call it good. Then if you get the itch, pick up a red dot later on.

Saw an ad this morning for DPMS Oracle for $399. it's a buyer's market. Every maker assumed Hillary was going to win, and built rifles around the clock. Now they are blowing them out.