Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up a SW 627-5

Frankly

Just getting into revolvers and wondering how people have theirs set-up? Finding a holster seems a bit mysterious, all the Kydek holster makes I know about don't list N-frames. I think I want a basic Kydex drop offset with a TekLok but you're welcome to tell me about something better.

I know I need a fiber optic front sight, not sure which are best? I like the Dawsons I've had on pistols.  

Probably a need a lighter trigger spring and cylinder release, recommendations? Are these kitchen table gunsmithing or do I need a pro? 

I suspect that moonclips all vary... is there an overall good all arounder? And preference for a belt holder? Do most people stack two clips per pin with two pins? 

Anything else? I know grips all vary and not to get one with a finger rest that could get in the way of the moonclip. I have a Nills coming because I always liked the similar old Rinks I had on air pistols. 

I don't really compete, once in a while, mainly I just want to shoot at a competent level and learn the ins and outs of wheel guns. 

Thanks 

Edited by Frankly

Welcome to the world or Revolvers.

The Dawson FO sight is very good.  That's what I've put on a variety of my guns.

Trigger spring is easy to do just order one  from Wolf with an 11 lb rebound spring.  You can do this work yourself.   Be careful when you take the sideplate off your revolver.  Do not pry it off, take off the three screws and just hit it with the handle of your hammer and the plate will pop off.   The safety will also come loose.  Be sure you put it back on.

TK Custom makes excellent moon clips.   Tell him what kind of brass you are using and match the moon clips to the brass.  I like  the Moon Mountain moon clip holders.  There are four posts and hold two clips on each post.  

Frank

I'm with in 20 minutes from you so if you have questions PM me and we can get together and I'll let you try some different options, holsters moon clips etc.

DAA Holsters or Blade tech or Comp Tech you may have to call BT or CT to get what you want but they make them, may just not be listed on the website

Wolff kits are great, Wilson combat make a kit and sends 3 different rebound springs so you can try different wgts to see what will suit you

Get a few strain screws so you can mess with them for different pressure on the main spring

Good fortune with your wheel gun

Neil

I'll echo the above. SpeedBeez also makes an N-Frame specific holster that I've found to be quite nice and comes with a variety of attachments.

For a middle-ground moonclip, look at Revolver Supply Co's. Not quite as nice as TK's, but close, and significantly cheaper. I also like their moonclip holders (2 clips will fit on one "tall" post). You didn't ask about this specifically, but I've used a variety of mooning tools:

- RSC Ultimate Moonclip Tool: It's a little overcomplicated but definitely works the best with the RSC-brand moons

- Original Moonclip Tool: Simple, and works. I have it set up for my .44 right now.

- BMT Mooner: I use this one with my K-frames and looooove it. It does take some wrist and elbow strength to use the 8-shooter variant, lol.

For a demooner, any of them are fine. Or take a golf club, cut it down, and notch it.