Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no JP complete uppers

Question for the PCCers as I begin to contemplate a new build:

I see many of you are running a JP SCS recoil system, and perhaps their bolt. And lots of mention that their barrels are one of the few that'll let you load long for 9mm use.

Why aren't complete JP uppers more common? Is it strictly a price thing, or is there another reason?

I looked at buying a complete JP upper.  I didn't particularly want their handguard or comp.  Their upper receiver, you can only pick from milspec or their ($600) side charger.

Basically I picked up the JP stuff I wanted (barrel/bolt/SCS), and assembled them with other parts I preferred.

Price, handguard preference, and wait time seal the deal for most people. I have a GMR-15 and it's a monster. But I also shoot a JP SCR-11 in 3 gun so I'm a fan of the handguard. A stock GMR 15 was 4th at nationals, and the gun wasn't the difference between 4th and 1st. In fact JPs were the most common factory gun at nationals by more than double. You can't go wrong with a JP, but if you are planning on changing a bunch of stuff out its a waste. 

Edited by MHitchcock
3 hours ago, mahamoti said:

I looked at buying a complete JP upper.  I didn't particularly want their handguard or comp.  Their upper receiver, you can only pick from milspec or their ($600) side charger.

Basically I picked up the JP stuff I wanted (barrel/bolt/SCS), and assembled them with other parts I preferred.

What is the go-to lightweight upper of choice for PCC?

And aside from their rather popular comp, what did you choose? Taccom?

There is no go-to as personal preference plays a huge role. Most other stuff is home built. 

However, if you want ultra light weight it's going to be a taccom barrel 15(oz) and Carbon handguard (<6oz with barrel nut) and a slick side upper of choice with a charging handle of choice. 

I built one to play around with and it's nuts how light it is.

other than that, KVP makes the lightest regular barrel offering (19 oz w/o muzzle device) but the chambers can be short and require reaming to run longer ammo. There is a barrel maker thread in this forum, search PCC barrel maker.

The other lightweight handguard are a preference thing and the lightest ones are around 9 oz with barrel nut for 12 inch 11ish oz for 15 inch.

***edit- on a side note, taccom preps their barrels like JP so you can load long***

Edited by MHitchcock
3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What is the go-to lightweight upper of choice for PCC?

And aside from their rather popular comp, what did you choose? Taccom?

Don't think there is a "go-to", but I wanted FA delete at least.  I've been happy with Odin Works upper receivers.

Since I don't expect any comp to really do a lot of work, I wanted shorter profile.  Went with the Nerd Nano.

5 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

However, if you want ultra light weight it's going to be a taccom barrel 15(oz) and Carbon handguard (<6oz with barrel nut) 

I have heard surprisingly little about the taccom barrel, how are you liking that short barrel without a comp and all that shroud out in front of it, compared to a longer barrel and a comp?

There is more dot movement compared to the JP,  but it's basically straight up and returns quickly. I haven't had it long enough to play with the buffer weight\springs yet. So I may be able to tune some/all of it out. I think it's just a product of weight differences. I think the comp does something, but it's a small percentage compared to .223. It's 95%+ recoil spring/buffer driven in a blowback. 

Price, handguard preference, and wait time seal the deal for most people. I have a GMR-15 and it's a monster. But I also shoot a JP SCR-11 in 3 gun so I'm a fan of the handguard. A stock GMR 15 was 4th at nationals, and the gun wasn't the difference between 4th and 1st. In fact JPs were the most common factory gun at nationals by more than double. You can't go wrong with a JP, but if you are planning on changing a bunch of stuff out its a waste. 

A stock GMR-13 took 7th at the nationals I know that. [emoji12]

I think you know its the singer not the song when it comes to what gun finished where. I have a GMR 15 on order because I have used JP products for some time and appreciate not having to tinker (at least I have not). The earlier answer that referred to price point, wait time and some handguard issues (I got the ape hands so its not a problem for me). If you want flexibility then you may be best served by the DIY method. My buddies like to tinker but they also drink a lot:P

My upper of choice on the three PCC's I've built has been the Aero Slick Side. No need for the FA so why have it? Makes for a very clean looking rifle. As for comps, I've used the JP on two and an Armalite comp on the third. I opened the comp up to 9MM, sent it and the barrel to ADCO and had them cut and re-thread it so the barrel would be just over 16" pin and welded. It came out pretty nice.

IMG_20160309_110953136.jpg