• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, still working on loads for 38 SC. 

VV340 w/7.2 gr=1385 fps

AA#7 w/10.3 gr =1393 fps

both starline, 125 HAP, 1.230 “ OAL, 

CCI SPP

AA#7 produces more gas, sharper push in the hands, VV is softer. AA#7 recovers faster to the point of aim, but dips harder, running a 10lb spring, probably go down a lb?

I am taking so long because my luck with the chronos has been terrible, dropped and broke one, and shot the other! Who said the gun is the expensive part?

47 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

I do want to try 3N38 and 3n37, from what I've read throughout the forums, 3N37 may work best for a 5" gun with no popples.

For what it's worth, SVI recommends 3N38 for it's guns with popples!

I've tried 3N37 and 3N38 back to back in several guns with hybrid ports, popple holes and no holes at all.

3N38 was always my pick for best feel. More gas is more better :) 

Also, 3N37 burns a lot hotter than 3N38, or any other powder I've played with for that matter.

Need to be cognizant of that trait and temper you summer practice sessions with frequent cool off periods for gun.

To get the most out of a new load, you may need to tune your gun (recoil spring / main spring) and most importantly, tune yourself to the timing of the gun & dot movement/recovery.  

On 1/7/2018 at 8:03 AM, tomjerry1 said:

I do want to try 3N38 and 3n37, from what I've read throughout the forums, 3N37 may work best for a 5" gun with no popples.

I shot 3n37 forever (early 90s) switched to 3n38 and 115s last year and love it. Definitely softer. Only issue us the case is pretty full. I’m shooting 10.4 with an OAL of 1.242. Gun is a mid length with 6 popples.

0D280577-9990-4A62-9D00-FBA0B4C2567E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 8:11 AM, magpulled said:

I want to to try Accurate # 7. I hear it’s really close to 3n38 and half the price. Anyone use that and if so what do you think. 

I've heard #7 can erode your chamber/breech face rather quickly, but I haven't tried it myself (for that very reason). 

I tend to use HS6 myself.