Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO'ing at local matches . how much does it affect your

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just RO'd a local match and had very little help on my squad. My home club, but we did not divide the workload equally. Shot the worst match in a while due to all the distractions........

probably depends how you do it. We typically trade off, so whoever is near the back of the squad RO's a few shooters until someone reasonably competent finishes shooting and reloading mags, then that person takes over. In those situations, it really shouldn't affect your match significantly.

If you RO'd the whole squad and then went last, well that would suck. We usually have at least 2-4 people that are happy to RO on the squads I shoot with.

Edited by motosapiens

It depends on your ability to focus, both when RO'ing and when shooting.  If you can avoid being distracted (workload, banter,....) and focus on the stage when it's your turn to shoot, you can be fine.  If you can't, well......

Then, are you there to have fun with your friends or are you there to compete?  Your mindset has more impact than anything else, IMO.

Or like I see at some matches near me, the RO goes first every stage and then runs the whole squad. That's a lot of work and I think would make it very difficult to shoot a good match for most people. First you're herding cats and reading a briefing. Then trying to find someone to run you and keep score. Times up, time to shoot. Then as soon as you've reloaded you're "the man". Six stages in a row.

There is no nobility in making yourself a martyr for a match. Just as equally there is no special privilege in paying to shoot one.

I go back and forth on this.  I want to help because it's a pain to set up, break down, and manage matches. Even locals. I know I don't want to do it. So, I want to help out instead of being that guy who just shows up and shoots. But,.... I really just want to be that guy who just shows up and shoots!

I don't think it's good for your performance but you could do as rowdy was saying and shoot first every stage.  That may not be as good as sitting back and stage planning/rehearsing but it will help you get used to shooting with minimal rehearsal. That's good for big matches when you do go first.  You'll be used to doing it. 

At this point in my "shooting career", scores are secondary to going out with friends and shooting.  It is just difficult to be in charge of everything and everyone for 6+ stages (and 3+hours) and shooting for decent score. Next match, we will divide the limited labor pool better and all will be well...............

11 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Or like I see at some matches near me, the RO goes first every stage and then runs the whole squad. That's a lot of work and I think would make it very difficult to shoot a good match for most people.

that would be retarded, and I would probably refuse to RO at that club. Spread the work around and no one has to be a martyr.

Due to the nature of our section match this year (lo-cap divisions one day, hi-cap divisions the other), we are using embedded RO's instead of static, so that everyone has an opportunity to shoot two divisions. My plan is go last on every stage, and have one of the first 5-6 shooters on each stage run the last 4 (including me). That way no one except me will have to RO before their turn to shoot, and I should have plenty of time to visualize and prepare.

I think it all depends on how much willing help you have and how many ROs are on the squad.  If I'm the only RO on a short squad, I'll have a terrible match.  Everything takes longer and I'll have to help tape.  There ought to be a rule that says there must be at least 10 shooters on a squad.  If there aren't, condense the squads.

Then there was yesterdays match.  It was brutally hot, bright and no shade over any of the shooting positions.  There were 12 shooters on the squad and 4 ROs.  We traded off so no one had to stay in the sun too long.  The club provided canopies for shade, and cold water.  On all but one stage we had more tapers than necessary.  I didn't score particularly well, but that was my fault.  It wasn't because I was to busy to work out a stage plan beforehand.  I really like shooting at that club.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

probably depends how you do it. We typically trade off, so whoever is near the back of the squad RO's a few shooters until someone reasonably competent finishes shooting and reloading mags, then that person takes over. In those situations, it really shouldn't affect your match significantly.

If you RO'd the whole squad and then went last, well that would suck. We usually have at least 2-4 people that are happy to RO on the squads I shoot with.

same here. It doesn't impact individual shooting at all done in this manner

I think the weather plays a big part.  I don't think I've shot more than maybe 2 locals where I didn't help RO.  When it's hot and humid, it definitely affects my shooting if I have to RO the majority of the time.  Less so if I have a lot of substitutes to rotate sun exposure, as others have said.

I shot a match last weekend where I was just a paid shooter.  Felt very weird not to run shooters or score.  I was hoping that would help my score to just paste and shoot and pay for the Level 2 match. 

It didn't.  Now I can't even blame my performance on running shooters.

Guess I need to practice.

At my home club, I do stats, and scores and run shooters and build stages.  I normally squad with many of the same people and we spread the load around.  We also have a bunch of newly certified ROs right now and we are forcing them to get some experience by running shooters. 

I think its best when the Timer guy and scorekeeping guy constantly rotate. Sure there is a RO for the squad but rarely do I see one guy do one thing the whole time. Every 2-4 shooters they hand off the timer and tablet. 

RO'ing the entire squad on every stage I would for sure not shoot as well because I'd be herding cats like earlier stated. Gotta have some down time to relax and just paste some targets, not be running around yelling scores and range commands. 

It seems I tend to run a lot of shooters then try to shoot. It is easier to just run the squad and then go last. I have found following the pad order does help and many times I can get 2 or 3 shooter break. I am used to doing this so I really does not bother me if the conditions are right. However, several years ago I finally quit shooting because I could not concentrate enough to focus on shooting. 15 man squad and I was the only certified RO in high heat/humidity and no cover conditions. The only stage I wanted to shoot was the classifier and I quit shooting the stage before.

I like to run shooters, since I have a low tolerance for boredom, but sometimes it gets to be too much.

It is not like I have not trained enough ROs in our area. ;(

Jay

I just RO'd 60% of a local match.   I actually don't mind.  I am less bored waiting for my turn to shoot :yawn:. Also makes the day move faster.  I hand off the timer when I am "in hole."  That gives me enough time to get my head back in the game.

Only real negative is on a hot sunny day is the extra time exposed to the sun vs hiding under my umbrella next to my fan(s) :ph34r:

Edited by brisix

Usually not at all. I'd rather RO than have to paste targets, but it was 93 degrees on Sunday and we had a slow squad with 15 people on it and I had to DQ the first guy on the squad for sweeping himself. Shot a terrible match. Not sure if they are related but there it is.

On 6/12/2017 at 5:50 PM, JayWord said:

It seems I tend to run a lot of shooters then try to shoot. It is easier to just run the squad and then go last. I have found following the pad order does help and many times I can get 2 or 3 shooter break. I am used to doing this so I really does not bother me if the conditions are right. However, several years ago I finally quit shooting because I could not concentrate enough to focus on shooting. 15 man squad and I was the only certified RO in high heat/humidity and no cover conditions. The only stage I wanted to shoot was the classifier and I quit shooting the stage before.

I like to run shooters, since I have a low tolerance for boredom, but sometimes it gets to be too much.

It is not like I have not trained enough ROs in our area. ;(

Jay

We're all nervous running the timer in front of you, Jay. That's why we let you work so hard. :D

I think it affects mine a lot.

I tend to grab the timer and try to help run the squad to keep things moving. If I'm not running the timer or the Nook I'm down range pasting after every shooter.

Then I get up to shoot and forget my stage plan. I really need to take a break and focus when I'm in the hole because at this point going to matches is just a waste of time.

It has really been messing with mine this year. This past match at my home club I laid down 3 solid stages before going into my 4th of the day. Which was also great until some Twat Waffle pasted 2 targets before they were scored and ended up getting me a re-shoot. By the time I loaded my mags I had to go again with no prep time, and tanked it. Moved to the next stage and was instantly ROing and never had a chance to clear out the re-shoot from my mind and then it was my turn to shoot again before I could pass off the timer. Tanked again and then again on the last stage due to being a smaller squad and the other "RO's" wandering off. Those 3 stages tanked my score and cost me the division win and a top 10 overall finish (based on my math and usual performance) mostly due to spending too much time ROing and not focusing on me.

I'll run until I'm 4 deep.  I need a chance to visualize the stage and I'm maybe not as smart at the rest of you.

We often have about 50% RO's on my normal squad.  No need to run until the last shooter.  We often set the tablet to First Name, or Random to try to balance the ROs before the first shot is fired.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on squads with a bunch of new or "newer" shooters and maybe one other RO or reasonably experienced person.  Spent all day running people, and it both affected my performance and made it hard to have much of a good time.