Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do shooting glasses have anymore protection than sunglasses?

taymag

I am not looking for style points here, but my sunglasses (not glass) are just so much more comfortable, which pretty much the same coverage.

I am asking because I heard a few stories in my RO class, and I am also just starting to shoot a lot more steel in practice (hundreds of rounds in a session of shooting, cause its more fun vs next to none at a match)

So my question, do "shooting glasses" have anymore protection in the material, or is it just cause they usually close in the eyes more on the sides and top?

The answer is maybe.

Shooting glasses will almost certainly be rated, which means they have a design and materials that have been tested for impact resistance, sunglasses not necessarily, might use the same materials, might not, frame might not be designed to hold the lens secure enough, no one officially knows if it's not rated. And then of course there's the coverage, closeness and side protection. Nothing dictates all flying debris will be faced head on.

For comfort you have to go beyond box store and gun counter brands usually. I really like my Wiley-Xs, things may as well be glued to my head they hold so well, ear pieces are pretty slim for use under muffs, Z87+ and that fancy military ballistic protection rating, reasonably fashionable even.

8 minutes ago, taymag said:

Sounds good. Is Z87+ and Wiley-Xs a main brand? Are there any other? Didn't see a whole lot searching

Your search didn't bring up Oakleys, ESS, etc. Cream of the crop are Rudy Project with impact X lenses in several colors and frame styles, sizes etc. But they are certainly not $10 weedeating glasses.

If you have ever had a 30, 40, 50 or more grain chunk of lead splatter hit you hard enough to need tweezers to put it out of your skin, you wouldn't hesitate a second in buying GOOD BALLISTIC RATED eye protection.  A hunk that goes thru your shirt and a 1/8" under your skin would blind you.  Don't cheap out.  Those guide dogs are expensive.

Z87+ is in reference to an impact rating given to glasses. Z87 is the minimum z87+ is definitely the preference for shooting sports imo. 

I'd take a look at Oakley and Rudy Project shooting glasses. They're expensive but totally worth it. You can catch some great short term sales on oakleys from time to time on midwayusa and even some of the rolling deal sites

To the OP.... Take a look at the video posted above. Pretty informative. However, be aware that vids like this are often used to hype products. Not saying that its false.... Just that sometimes certain aspects of a "test" are promoted and other aspects are downplayed when a commercial venture like this attempts to utilize the certification to their advantage. This is a commercial promotional video. Remember, they are trying to sell their product.!!!

I think it is only fair to mention here that the actual "mil spec" can be researched online. Also, ANY product that meets the standard could be placed on the purchasing contract and could be ordered for use. When a product "wins the contract" that DOES NOT mean that all other competing products can't be used. It means that the specific product has won ONE specific delivery contract (often times a very large one.!!...). Frequently you will see various agencies and certain branches of the military decide to go with another product... In particular you see this with very elite organizations such as FBI, HRT, SOCOM, NAVSPECWARCOM, JSOC; etc.....  These military (and para...) groups will frequently decide for themselves which product they want to use.

However, as several have pointed out, the ANSI standard has been the one most civilian manufacturers have elected to comply with. It is generally a very good product. You should be aware that the failure shown in the video was an apparent frame failure first and foremost. I think the lenses actually resisted penetration. I would also like to say that tests like this have been done for years. Many years ago when these poly lenses were first being developed, Oakley had a video around that showed their lens after it had been hit with a .22 round....no penetration. 

So, as a matter of information and advice to the OP....... You can't go wrong with top line products. Unfortunately, they frequently price them out of the range of the normal person who works for a living. Given the opportunity and the presence of sufficient funds, I would research Oakley, Wiley-X, and maybe Rudy Project as well. I have to admit that the Rudy glasses hold a special significance for me because they can add focal correction in some of their models. If your vision is otherwise pretty good, I would research several different ones and make a choice based on what I liked AND could afford.!!

BTW... If you liked that video, take a few minutes and go back there and look at some of the other vids from competing products..... Eye opening.!

Thanks for all the answers (and video).

Anyone have the Wiley X Valor? Comes with multiple lenses and my practice nights are in the dark half the year. Just wondering if there are any downsides and also how they fit under your muffs

Best part of that video is that guy operating the gun without eye protection. :rolleyes:

I use Smith Optic Aegis Echo II.  They're Mil-spec, and they super unobtrusive.  Very light, super thin arms that fit under ear-pro comfortably.

On 6/12/2017 at 3:06 PM, taymag said:

Thanks for all the answers (and video).

Anyone have the Wiley X Valor? Comes with multiple lenses and my practice nights are in the dark half the year. Just wondering if there are any downsides and also how they fit under your muffs

I have 2 sets and love them. I wear Oakley flak Jackets daily but the Valors are my range glasses. Depending on the muff and amount of time worn they do give me a sore spot where the frames ride but between shooters when resetting I pull my muffs and that helps. Lenses are easy to change and they have multiple color options so that's a plus. Ballistics wise they are Mil rated, I also have some ESS crossbows that I keep in the car as backups or loaners and I like them as well for coverage and protection but I don't like how they fit and feel on my face when shooting.

15 minutes ago, sam_b said:

I have 2 sets and love them. I wear Oakley flak Jackets daily but the Valors are my range glasses. Depending on the muff and amount of time worn they do give me a sore spot where the frames ride but between shooters when resetting I pull my muffs and that helps. Lenses are easy to change and they have multiple color options so that's a plus. Ballistics wise they are Mil rated, I also have some ESS crossbows that I keep in the car as backups or loaners and I like them as well for coverage and protection but I don't like how they fit and feel on my face when shooting.

I like the idea of the slim/short frames on the ESS crossbows but I dont want to have to use a strap cause I take them on and off if I am shooting in the day to wipe my face in blazing hot south Florida. Do you use the strap? Or maybe there is a model with different size frames?

I was considering getting those ESS Crossbows because of the thinner frames that are supposed to go under the ear muffs, but I agree, I don't know if I really want to use a strap or not.  Then again, 90% of the time I will probably have the muffs on when using them anyway, so I guess it is a moot point anyway and the muffs will hold them on, so I don't need the strap. :)   I think I saw them on Optics Planet for like $40 or something.  I also saw a pair of Wiley-X's on there with multiple lenses, but they were sold out. :(  The Crossbows had the HD-Copper lenses which are supposed to help block out the blue light and help with focus.  I normally wear yellow glasses now, but the ones I have are ancient, so I was looking to change and have been following this post for suggestions. :) 

23 hours ago, taymag said:

I like the idea of the slim/short frames on the ESS crossbows but I dont want to have to use a strap cause I take them on and off if I am shooting in the day to wipe my face in blazing hot south Florida. Do you use the strap? Or maybe there is a model with different size frames?

Crossbows DO NOT require the strap unless there is a new model I don't know about. The strap is just there for extra protection to keep them on your face when diving into a fighting position or rolling around in an MRAP or similar so they won't come off when you hit a bump or IED. Most guys never used the strap.

Edit: The frames are all the same size.

Edited by sam_b

I wear $2 to $5 pyramex safety glasses. For that price I have clear, tinted and every color of the rainbow in my range bag. When they get a scratch, I throw them away.  Unlike most everyone with a $100-$200 pair of glasses, I know exactly what happens to them when you shoot them repeatedly with a 12ga from 15 feet away. ;)  

(obviously ruined them, but they didn't break.)

Edited by cas

On 6/16/2017 at 10:13 AM, R1_Demon said:

Oh okay...got it.  Cool!    :cheers:

Here were the ones I was talking about on Optics Planet.

Crossbow Suppressor One

I think someone mentioned in the comments about having to wear the strap or something.  Then again, maybe they have a funny shaped head?  LOL! :roflol:

Those frames look long enough where you shouldn't have to wear the strap. If you wear muffs it will hold them on anyways.

I used to roll with cheap eye protection, but catching jacket ricochets a couple of times made me change my stripes.  I keep an eye on the Gun.Deals app and reddit.com/r/gundeals, and I got a set of Oakley M-Frames with 3 lenses for like $65 last year.  Comfortable for long wear, even with muffs on.

I shoot a lot so u like all of my sunglasses being balistic rated so no remembering to bring my shooting glasses to the range with me. I'm also military so I prefer glasses to meet AR670-1 requriments. Worn a lot of Oakley and Willey X, Smith Optic as well, but for the money all I have bought the last few years is Edge Tactical. Cheap I've been paying around 35 dollars a pair. And they meet all my requirements. Check them out if you never have. 

Edited by pfcchambers
Spelling

On 6/17/2017 at 9:47 PM, sam_b said:

Those frames look long enough where you shouldn't have to wear the strap. If you wear muffs it will hold them on anyways.

Got my ESS glasses today.. they indeed hold fine, even without muffs on they are technically fine (unless you have a super small head lol).

Just posting for anyone wondering