Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things i noticed in my First Match

Snap_Shot

1)  i must train more with my shotgun, i practiced reloading techniques but at this match we started with no chambered/ loaded (tube) in all guns.   i felt good about my load 2 methods, what i didn't expect was realizing that when the bolt is back in my benelli the load gate is locked, go getting used to the bolt release, then hitting the load button for the mag tube, then flipping over and proceeding to load 2.  was unexpected.  - about the third stage i remembered i can port load 1 round, then push it down to release the bolt... then continue to load 2,  a match saver would have come in handy.  

2) - its much harder to see your bullet holes than i expected, especially when the targets get all taped up.  

3) i saw a RO begin a stage fired off at his shotgun targets, then realize he had no AR mags on him for the rifle section of the stage.... (most of us beginners didn't care and offered him a chance to reshoot, but one competitor had a problem with letting him reshoot.  

4) know your equipment -  i saw multiple shotguns have issues - in my group of about 11 shooters at least 3 individual shotguns went on the fritz - 

5) shotgun again ----  I had previously never fired a slug from my shotgun, and hoped that my iron (rifle sights) were good to go... apparently they were not quite on target, not knowing how much to adjust Kentucky windage made for poor results.   1 out of 8 shots on 2 targets hit.  

6) notes about Match Director and RSOs   -  there was some confusion on the rules -  (scoring) (penalties) there were no Miss On Target penalties, only Faliure To Nutralize, or Faliure to Engage, that being said there was confusion if on  a single target there would be numerous FTN's or just a FTE -  I didn't really care as i wasn't there to take the gold - and no prizes are actually given to the winners (small event) - only raffle type drawings for a local gun store were picked form a hat at the end of the event for those that stayed.  

7) Texas Stars are fun... and no matter now much i watched videos and read explanations on how to engage them, my first shot at one was a bottom plate, luckily i missed, then remembered to shoot the top one first..... then i found myself and others noticed me tracking the moving plate instead of waiting for it to come into my sight picture.  

theres probably more , but thats what i remember right now. 

all and all it was a fun experience, I didn't get DQ'd my first time out and that was my primary goal, to be safe and have fun.. 

9) i almost though i was about to be DQ'd on the first stage after grounding my rifle, then picking up my shotgun, shot my targets then grounded my shotty, without putting the safety on.... i took about 2 steps away and stopped and told the RO - i didn't engage the safety -  he asked "is it empty?" i said "yes" - then i was instructed to keep going as that was fine.  

after i got over the first stage jitters, and settled down, it things became much more natural and enjoyable.