Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New member & 9mm powders

14 hours ago, stick said:

I think you should consider Titegroup as a powder.  It's relatively inexpensive, readily available, accurate, it meters well in a Dillon press and has a crap load of data available.

As far as bullets go, if you're going to run plated, you might want to consider Everglades Ammo or Rocky Mountain Reloading.  they are both cheaper than Berry's.  If you decide to go with coated, Bayou bullets gets my nod.

My 9mm load for pistol and PCC in USPSA is Titegroup and either Everglades 147gr or Rocky Mountain 147gr plated.

Thank you for your service!  :)

Thanks for your response. Just so you know, you are not the only one who shoots Titegroup around here.!!  There are a lot of folks who like it and interestingly enough... a lot of folks who DON'T like it.!! As I mentioned above, I have my own way of developing loads that center on the BEST possible combination. That is what I try to obtain. Example: Before starting a "test run", I sort cases by manufacturer, clean and polish, trim cases to same OAL, clean primer pockets, and deburr flash holes inside the case. Then I sort again by weight and keep all the "like" cases together in a test group. I load all test cases with the same primer from the same lot. Choose my test powder and set up a ladder after developing a start point. I use bullets that have been sorted by weight and for visible flaws. All test loads are loaded on a RCBS Chucker single stage and are monitored at EVERY possible point. Completed loads are weight checked again to preclude the possibility of a double load or reduced charge. All test loads are fired in MY guns (three different in the case of 9mm..), over MY chronos (both a Oehler 35P and a MagnetoSpeed concurrently..). Now understand, this type of control is not necessary to produce ammunition. It IS however where I start (ALWAYS..). Once loads are "developed" I do away with a lot of the sorting and separating and prepping and move the loading to my 650XL........ I realize that most folks are not as "anal" as I am about the process, and it's certainly possible to produce good ammunition without going to that much trouble. It's just the way I do load development.

As far as Titegroup is concerned, I chose NOT to test it because I wanted to limit myself to five powders to start with. Several guys here recommended faster powders and gave good reasons for their recommendation. Since my experience with 9mm was severely lacking, I took them at their word and started my testing with Bullseye, Win231. PrimaV, and two others that I wanted to look at. I have to admit that these guys seemed to have a real handle on what works best and what doesn't. In addition to those factors, Titegroup has a decided slant toward burning a little on the dirty side and being smoky.... Both of those things were not really on my list of things I WANTED... so I just took the opportunity to NOT test Titegroup. I also realize that certain powders just work better with heavier bullets and Titegroup MIGHT be one of those. I am shooting 124 coated (ACME..), and I find them to shoot very nicely with my chosen loads. 

Having said all of this, It still is very possible that I will try some other powders. I have my favorites like anyone, but I also have other loads worked out that I can substitute if I cannot locate my favorite components for some reason.....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Titegroup for years with no problem.  3.0 TG, 147grs bullet at 1.145-1.150 c.o.a.l...very soft shooting.  3-8-4.0TG, 124grs bullet 1.145-1.150 c.o.a.l....these loads works on my pistols n my PCCs.

On 12/18/2017 at 2:52 PM, g mac said:

I used Titegroup for years with no problem.  3.0 TG, 147grs bullet at 1.145-1.150 c.o.a.l...very soft shooting.  3-8-4.0TG, 124grs bullet 1.145-1.150 c.o.a.l....these loads works on my pistols n my PCCs.

Yes... And I'm sure they could be just fine. I choose not to load with Titegroup for the reasons I mentioned. Mostly the dirty/smoky results...especially using lead or coated bullets. I prefer clean, smooth metering, easy shooting loads. The faster powders seem to do that better and nothing meters better than WIN231 (HP38..). If you prefer using Titegroup, then that is definitely what you should use.  That is why there is chocolate and vanilla... Different strokes for different folks.!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tested a lot of different powders for 9mm, 124 gr. loads before deciding on Titegroup. I hear you that some folks call it "dirty" or "smoky", but that has not been my experience at all. I am not saying that it is super clean, but I really don't think it is a super dirty powder either.

For 9mm, I use either Xtreme plated or RMR jacketed, so that may sway your decision. For my other pistol rounds (.45 ACP, .40S&W) I always use coated (BBI, Blue, Eggleston, Bayou...).

I also get that you want to limit the number of test powders you are evaluating, that is a great move, however with all of the recommendations in this thread and others to try Titegroup, I would find a way to get a sample and test it for yourself.

My second choice would probably be WW231, and I do have some soft loads that I use for Steel Challenge matches that are made with WW231. I find it to be a great overall powder that works pretty well for a lot of things.