Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New member & 9mm powders

Completely understand the desire for an economical but accurate and trouble free bullet to load. The coated bullets (though I have very limited actual experience with them yet) by all accounts are pretty good from good vendors like Blue Bullets, ACME, Bayou Bullets, et al. I have known several people who've had nothing but problems with cheap plated bullets like the Berry's though.

Look into Precision Delta. Nice, accurate, true jacketed bullets at a great price. Check them out. Order 2K of the same bullet and get free shipping. It's a pretty good deal for real jacketed bullets and several reloaders I know who use them love them and yeah they are cheap but good.

https://www.precisiondelta.com/

Comes out to 9mm 124 gr FMJ $88 per K shipped if you order 2K.

Edited by pkrhed

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/6/2017 at 9:00 PM, pkrhed said:

Completely understand the desire for an economical but accurate and trouble free bullet to load. The coated bullets (though I have very limited actual experience with them yet) by all accounts are pretty good from good vendors like Blue Bullets, ACME, Bayou Bullets, et al. I have known several people who've had nothing but problems with cheap plated bullets like the Berry's though.

Look into Precision Delta. Nice, accurate, true jacketed bullets at a great price. Check them out. Order 2K of the same bullet and get free shipping. It's a pretty good deal for real jacketed bullets and several reloaders I know who use them love them and yeah they are cheap but good.

https://www.precisiondelta.com/

Comes out to 9mm 124 gr FMJ $88 per K shipped if you order 2K.

Thanks for the information... I have contacted Precision Delta previously and will probably order some of their jacketed bullets to try. Probably start out with a few JHP and a few FMJ. I suspect the JHPs will perform better, but who knows. In any event, I am going to shoot coated bullets (Acme for now..) for my range loads and probably for match use as well. Some of the guys here have convinced me that coated bullets are quite good as long as I do my part with loading and accuracy testing. 

On 6/7/2017 at 1:00 PM, IDescribe said:

Most people lean toward the faster powders for 9mm minor for the reduced recoil impulse.  The most common ones from that faster tier that people use for 9mm minor are:

AA2

700X

Bullseye

Titegroup
N320
W231/HP-38 (same powder)
Red Dot

700X is CHEAP too. Local store sells it for like $16.89 a pound. 8 pound kegs could probably be found at a hell of a deal if you shop around.

I would suggest finding what pistol powders are readily available in your area and work with your budget for me I run titegroup, and or cafe pistol why because both are inexpensive and I can pick up local.  Both were highly recommended.  Brand x could be the best powder in the world but if you can't get your hands on any it would do you no good.  So like I said find out what is available locally and narrow it down from there. And don't forget to ask if the powder you are interested in is usually available or did they just get some as kind of a fluke!

2 hours ago, Iaddrummer said:

I would suggest finding what pistol powders are readily available in your area and work with your budget for me I run titegroup, and or cafe pistol why because both are inexpensive and I can pick up local.  Both were highly recommended.  Brand x could be the best powder in the world but if you can't get your hands on any it would do you no good.  So like I said find out what is available locally and narrow it down from there. And don't forget to ask if the powder you are interested in is usually available or did they just get some as kind of a fluke!

Yep.... good ideas. I tend to order powder and primers online and in large lots. So, I don't USUALLY have an issue with locating product locally. I have been known to run out though, so finding a reliable local source is never a bad idea.

Thanks...

If you're buying 16 pounds of powder, 20k primers, and 6,000-9,000 bullets at a time, buying local becomes the act which is impossible to justify.

The price discount online with ACME or blue bullets and a good cheap power / primer selection from powder valley are impossible to equal in your local stores. Most of us here shoot enough to make the volume discounts more than worth the hazmat... if you roll your primer and powder orders into one haz fee by picking them up from the same place.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

16 hours ago, Iaddrummer said:

I just can't justify paying hasmat fees so I get powder local and they really are not bad on price

Hmmm... You must not shoot or load a lot of ammunition... I have several local sources who know me well. They can't come close to Powder Valley's prices even with HazMat included.... It's not possible to source locally for the price you can get online.

21 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you're buying 16 pounds of powder, 20k primers, and 6,000-9,000 bullets at a time, buying local becomes the act which is impossible to justify.

The price discount online with ACME or blue bullets and a good cheap power / primer selection from powder valley are impossible to equal in your local stores. Most of us here shoot enough to make the volume discounts more than worth the hazmat... if you roll your primer and powder orders into one haz fee by picking them up from the same place.

Precisely.....

If you don't use enough to make it worthwhile, see if you can get some reloading friends or people you know at matches to combine an order.  This is what several of us do and it really adds up as you can get up to (if I remember correctly) 48 lbs under one hazmat fee, that is a lot of powder and primers.

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

If you don't use enough to make it worthwhile, see if you can get some reloading friends or people you know at matches to combine an order.  This is what several of us do and it really adds up as you can get up to (if I remember correctly) 48 lbs under one hazmat fee, that is a lot of powder and primers.

That is a LOT of powder and primers..!!  My last order was about half of that weight and I still made out far better than local purchase.

Even a 4lb jug of powder and 5k primers with the hazmat fee is cheaper than you can usually find locally.  My local GS sells Win SPP at $5 per hundred, which is $50 per 1k. Ordering 5k from Powder Valley and paying the hazmat on them is $169 versus $450 locally...and then your powder essentially ships free under the same hazmat fee. Your local GS would have to sell primers at $3.38 per 1k for you to break even...and then you'd still pay more for the powder.

22 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Even a 4lb jug of powder and 5k primers with the hazmat fee is cheaper than you can usually find locally.  My local GS sells Win SPP at $5 per hundred, which is $50 per 1k. Ordering 5k from Powder Valley and paying the hazmat on them is $169 versus $450 locally...and then your powder essentially ships free under the same hazmat fee. Your local GS would have to sell primers at $3.38 per 1k for you to break even...and then you'd still pay more for the powder.

Hey Possum Stomper.... :D

Did you overstate your case maybe..?? Just a little..??  Let's see now.... 5 x $50.00 = $450 ??? Yikes.!! My college calculus tells me that although $250 -> (approaches..) $450.. it really isn't close enough...!!!!!

:rolleyes: :P 

1 minute ago, hobbit99 said:

Hey Possum Stomper.... :D

Did you overstate your case maybe..?? Just a little..??  Let's see now.... 5 x $50.00 = $450 ??? Yikes.!! My college calculus tells me that although $250 -> (approaches..) $450.. it really isn't close enough...!!!!!

:rolleyes: :P 

It was a long day.

18 hours ago, IDescribe said:

*verstehe ;) 

Ja und Nein.....??
Mein Deutsch ist alt und selten verwendet.
Ich denke, so oder so in Ordnung...(that's not right...??) ... entweder man ist in ordnung ... ??

Ich bin nicht der deutschen sprache Polizei.!!!

Or something like that....

If the subject is 1st person singular, which it is here -- Ich -- and the verb tense is simple present, which it should be in this case, then the verb would be conjugated verstehe.  I won't embarrass myself trying to express that in German. ;) 

And now we are WAY off topic. ;) 

I love hearing you guys talk about ordering 20k of primers and such.  My very first order was 500 pcs of mixed brass (not cases...pieces!) and 500 bullets and 1 pound of powder and 1k of primers.  LOL!  So, I can totally understand about you guys talk about ordering online and getting the best prices possible ordering 10 pounds of powder and 10k primers and such.  I sit and think how long it would take for me to reload with all of that.  It makes sense to order that much at once and save the cost of hazmat and such, so don't get me wrong, but I just don't have the money or use for that right now. :( 

So, that is why I have considered buying local because I only use about 1 pound of powder and maybe 1k or 2k of primers at a time.  So, thus the hazmat fee is "expensive" for just something like that buying online, but is "reasonable" if you buy it locally.  However, for you guys that are "clearing the shelves", then you are right, it makes absolutely zero sense to buy that much locally and get charged an arm and a leg for those items.

Well to be honest...

6,000 bullets, 10k primers, and 8 pounds of powder are about a 2 year supply at the rate I'm currently shooting USPSA. A couple range trips a month plus a match.

Its just so much more cost efficient to spend ~$500 every year or two on components in bulk, than it is to peck away at your budget $60 a month from the local gun shop.

Think of it like shopping at CostCo versus the local grocery. You pay a lot more up front but ultimately save 25-50%.

MM, Oh, I can totally understand why you guys do it.  It's common sense and makes perfect sense to save money.  I guess since I haven't gotten up to that level of shooting yet (shooting that much), that it just can boggle my mind.  LOL.  If I can ever get my butt out to shoot more often, then I will probably do the same thing. :) 

6 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

MM, Oh, I can totally understand why you guys do it.  It's common sense and makes perfect sense to save money.  I guess since I haven't gotten up to that level of shooting yet (shooting that much), that it just can boggle my mind.  LOL.  If I can ever get my butt out to shoot more often, then I will probably do the same thing. :) 

It's easy.... Start hanging around and making friends with other shooters. Talk about your craft. Discuss good, better, best... ways to do things. Have a couple of brews AFTER practice and matches with the buds. Before long, you will be shooting a LOT more and enjoying it a LOT more. Shooting acquaintances quickly morph into friends and similar interests tend to work together for mutual benefit.  Above all... Have Fun.!!