Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power Xcalibur

valerko

I think the bull barrel would exclude this pistol from ESP in IDPA.  (ref. 8.2.2.2 T)

https://grandpower.eagleimportsinc.com/grandpower/firearms/x-calibur

Not sure but I also don't think the slide cuts are legal either...  (ref. 8.2.2.3 A)  Sometimes, I think some slide cutting is allowed if done by the factory, which is the case here... 

But, with the polymer grip, the slide cuts and barrel flutes combine to make it really light!  (28.1 oz?) 

Perhaps TOO light for best shooting?  (IMHO, for ME...)   But the guy in the video shoots it well! 

Edited by Ken6PPC

I normally shoot Xtrim which has a slide cuts and it is SSP and ESP legal. I was thinking new rules got away from bull barrel  . New Sig 320 X5 is legal in ESP , don't see why Xcalibur wouldn't

13 minutes ago, valerko said:

I normally shoot Xtrim which has a slide cuts and it is SSP and ESP legal. I was thinking new rules got away from bull barrel  . New Sig 320 X5 is legal in ESP , don't see why Xcalibur wouldn't

I don't know, but that bull barrel inclusion for lengths "4.25" and less" is definitely in the rule book...   

Seems it is writeen to EXCLUDE bull barrels over 4.25" to me... 

• 10 months later...

I'm reading latest revision of rules and I don't see anything about bull barrel or full length dust covers....Loks to me that basically uspsa production guns are legal if they meet weight and fit the box. Same goes for ESP

26 minutes ago, valerko said:

I'm reading latest revision of rules and I don't see anything about bull barrel or full length dust covers....Loks to me that basically uspsa production guns are legal if they meet weight and fit the box. Same goes for ESP

What rules are you referring to? I just got excited and looked on the IDPA website but the 2017 rule book still has the rule for 8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the rulebook.  C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing except as allowed in ESP, CCP, BUG and CDP divisions with length restrictions. 

But then again how the hell is the SIG 320 X5 legal and the X-Calibur not? From Sigs own website: The 5" bull barrel and lightened slide pair perfectly for match-grade accuracy and are equipped with Dawson Precision® Fiber Optic front and fully-adjustable rear sights.

So if the 5 inch bull barrel is legal on the Sig the Grand Power Excalibur should be legal right? This is why I am not a a big fan of IDPA the rules just do not make sense.

• 2 months later...

Read the f*#king rule.

8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions

C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing except as allowed in ESP, CCP, BUG and CDP divisions with length restrictions (4.25 " or less).

It is absolutely a cone/bull style barrel. They even advertise it that way. "Grand Power X-Calibur 9mm DA/SA Pistol with Fluted Bull Barrel".

gp_excalibur.jpg

Conversely the Sig X5 was allowed even though Sig, in their infinite wisdom, advertised it as a bull barrel. The explanation was that the barrel was "a constant diameter from chamber to muzzle".  Oh, that and Robert Ray shoots one ?. Don't drop it Robert.

Edited by Jeff O

I agree with you that it is a bull barrel on the Xcalibur. But so is the Sig per their own website. IDPA has some BS rules. It's just frustrating is all. Just like why can't I shoot my 5 inch 625? But a PCC is allowed. I for one don't get it IDPA. It's the least fun shooting sport for me. But it beats not shooting. 

7 hours ago, pfcchambers said:

I agree with you that it is a bull barrel on the Xcalibur. But so is the Sig per their own website. IDPA has some BS rules. It's just frustrating is all. Just like why can't I shoot my 5 inch 625? But a PCC is allowed. I for one don't get it IDPA. It's the least fun shooting sport for me. But it beats not shooting. 

A carbine in "The Internatonal Defensive Pistol Association", go figure.  I guess we have to remember guys they're in Arkansas LOL.