Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best tablet for RO's

CrashDodson

Currently our club has small samsung tablets for scoring.  These are about 3 years old and the batteries are starting to not last a whole match.  Ive seen clubs using generic android tablets, ipads, and nooks.  Obviously nooks have the best display for direct sunlight, but they are a little laggy to me.  What are you using and do you like it or would you have preferred something else?

3 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Didnt think about the fire.  Those are pretty cheap

We just started using them. Ours are the last generation ones (Amazon just released a new version).

With ours it is VERY close on battery life. We ended up getting battery packs and Practishades for them and have them all bundled together as a unit for each stage.

The responsiveness of the Fires is MUCH better than the nooks.

Ours do better if they don't travel with the squads. One tablet per stage. Our matches go from 10 - 4 and we almost always make it with plenty of room to spare. I do keep several jump packs available though

2 clubs I shoot at both use Fires.  Tablet travels with the squad.  We generally run 6 squads and have 10 tablets.  The Fire can be a little hard to see in direct sunlight.

I sometimes load a copy of the match on my personal Ipad and use it for a backup device or those real bright days.  If your club can afford it the Ipad would be the best tablet available.

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

2 clubs I shoot at both use Fires.  Tablet travels with the squad.  We generally run 6 squads and have 10 tablets.  The Fire can be a little hard to see in direct sunlight.

I sometimes load a copy of the match on my personal Ipad and use it for a backup device or those real bright days.  If your club can afford it the Ipad would be the best tablet available.

What do you prefer about the ipad?

I think the Amazon fire tablets are the best and most economical device to use. However, you should be looking to get the 'HD' tablets. They are about $30 more but not only do they have 12 hours of battery life, versus 8 for the non-HD  model, but their screen is almost twice as bright so you have no issues seeing them in sunlight. 

On 6/10/2017 at 9:41 AM, Phong Nguyen said:

I think the Amazon fire tablets are the best and most economical device to use. However, you should be looking to get the 'HD' tablets. They are about $30 more but not only do they have 12 hours of battery life, versus 8 for the non-HD  model, but their screen is almost twice as bright so you have no issues seeing them in sunlight. 

Are you talking about the newest ones that just got released this month?

On 6/14/2017 at 9:20 AM, jester121 said:

Are you talking about the newest ones that just got released this month?

Yes, the HD 8s were released recently.  

However, we bought HD 6s for our club around 2 years ago and the screen was noticeably brighter than the regular Fire tablets so their HD line has been that way for a while.

Since we're on the subject of the Amazon Fire Kindles, owners need to know that the license for the Kindle and Apps needs to be refreshed periodically.  I don't know the exact time period but if you keep your tablets off for weeks and then throw them in your truck to hit the range without connecting to the internet, you'll likely see an an issue when you launch Practiscore and a few minutes later, an error message pops up about the App License needs refreshing.  The Practiscore app will then exit and not let you use it until the license is refreshed.

So, before every match, charge up your Fires and turn them on within range of your Wifi and launch the Practiscore app.  It should refresh the licenses then.
Just make it a habit to do this before every match or you're gonna be SOL if there's no internet at your range.

I'm pretty sure I removed DRM from PractiScore on Amazon appstore at least few months ago. If you still seeing this, you need to update app from the appstore.

Since we're on the subject of the Amazon Fire Kindles, owners need to know that the license for the Kindle and Apps needs to be refreshed periodically.  I don't know the exact time period but if you keep your tablets off for weeks and then throw them in your truck to hit the range without connecting to the internet, you'll likely see an an issue when you launch Practiscore and a few minutes later, an error message pops up about the App License needs refreshing.  The Practiscore app will then exit and not let you use it until the license is refreshed.

So, before every match, charge up your Fires and turn them on within range of your Wifi and launch the Practiscore app.  It should refresh the licenses then.
Just make it a habit to do this before every match or you're gonna be SOL if there's no internet at your range.

2 hours ago, euxx said:

I'm pretty sure I removed DRM from PractiScore on Amazon appstore at least few months ago. If you still seeing this, you need to update app from the appstore.

Ok, was this recent?  Because this happened to us on Saturday 10 June.  I first ran across this late last year.

10 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Euxx can you guys track which marketplace your downloads come from? Curious to see what the numbers say for most downloads per marketplace. 

App store downloads are not that representative. Live stats show that active Amazon devices is at about 25..27%, Samsung - 45..47%. 

8 hours ago, Phong Nguyen said:

Ok, was this recent?  Because this happened to us on Saturday 10 June.  I first ran across this late last year.

What app version are you running?

Yes I was impressed.  I bought practishades but no RO used them.  I bought some anti-glare screen covers but they are not easy to install and only actually got them on one tablet.  I ran a tablet without the protector and was pleased.  

When you lock the tablet or turn off the screen and turn it back on your are presented with an advirtisement.  You just swipe up to get back to the tablet.  Price you pay for a $75 8" tablet but no big deal.

You can pay amazon to remove those and there is that https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/removing-lock-screen-ads-root-t3218946/page1