Stepped brass

9x45

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, everyone knows that IMT, Freedom Munition (FM) and AmmoLoad all have a step, but this stuff is ridiculous. Weights in at 77 grains.

image37659.jpg

Check it with a magnet. I found some (same headstamp) that looked nickel plated, but is steel.

just checked, not magnetic. doesn't matter to me, I'm not going to use the shiette anyway. Just posted so everyone else would know.

Edited by 9x45

Case volume is reduced quite substantially so it must be loaded with real slow powder or only light pinker style loads. On the plus side... The chance of a case rupture is pretty remote.... no more Glocked brass and no bullet setback issues.

It belongs in the scrap metal bucket.

Except for the fact that the other stepped brasses have shown that the cases have a tendency to separate at the step, it would be interesting to develop light loads with Universal. I bet the powder necessary to make minor with a 124gr bullet would be reduced a good bit.

Lead, yup. My buddy bumped into these 3 cases on his 1050, and had to stop. You have to ask why these start up companies don't use traditional brass like the 100 year old companies such as Winchester and Federal... Since I load on a SD and 550, I look at every piece of brass and don't use weird unknown head stamps. Just not worth even a single malfunction even at a local level match. Personally I think Speer and CCI Blazer are even better than StarLine.

Edited by 9x45

I say boycott those companies... most get into reloading after a while and its like pooping where you eat. Call it kase kharma. I'm reloading major 9 know if its just plain hazardous.

The IMI cases Ill shoot.  The step is pretty small, and Im not approaching anything that resembles a major load.  However, that Maxxtech stuff, I just throw it in the recycle bin.  

The factory Maxxtech ammo doesnt even come close to making power factor either. Through a glock 17, it was around 110 to 115 pf. This stuff doesn't belong anywhere near a uspsa range...

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I've got to start inspecting any found or once-fired brass.  I've already been running a magnet over cases; found an S&B and FN brass plated cases just two days ago.

What is the point of stepping the brass like that?  What does it prove in the manufacturing process?  So far I've only started reloading .40, but I also have 9mm at home and figure I will eventually reload for that too, so it never hurts to check everything and this is the first time I have ever seen cases like this.  Frickin' weird as heck.  :surprise:

16 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

Ahhhh ok, makes sense. Didn't think of that. 

If the step is to control bullet setback, it would be a very compressed load, take a look at a cutaway with a 124 seated to the step, it would look pretty funny and probably not feed very well.

Ammoload 2.JPG

Ammoload 1.JPG