Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unable to clear the gun

Foxbat

I have been close to several cases when the new round jammed so badly, it took long time to clear it. 

The rule is clear:

Under no circumstances is a competitor permitted to leave a course of
fire in the possession of a loaded handgun (see Rule 10.5.13).

But in a couple of cases just the miracle allowed us to clear the gun. 

What to do when the miracle is not available, and the gun stays jammed?

Under supervision of a range official, the competitor would take the gun to an empty bay and try to clear it.  If it couldn't then he/she would have to case the uncleared gun and not be permitted to handle it for the remainder of the match (unless a further attempt to clear it later was made, and then only under the supervision of a range official).  All of that is allowed under 10.5.13.

10.5.13 Having a loaded firearm other than when specifically ordered to by the Range Officer.

Chris,

I'm going to have to disagree with you there -- the moment the RO leaves the competitor, the competitor is subject to DQ, gun cased or not.  5.7.5 is crystal clear -- gotta clear the gun before the competitor may leave the course of fire with the handgun.  Now -- the RO could leave the course of fire......

technicality here. I don't see an actual difference between a supervised competitor leaving the COF vs an RO actually carrying the gun. But basically you try like heck to clear the gun before you leave the stage, or at least verify that there is not a live round in the gun. I have fortunately not (yet) seen a case where a gun just couldn't be cleared with the tools available, but if it happened, I would just call the RM and let him worry about it. RM's have special magic powers. (I've seen them!)

I have seen one that was unable to be cleared.  In the end they bagged the gun and gave it to one of the gunsmith/builder shooters to be taken to his shop and repaired.  As I recall they blocked the hammer so that if it did fall it would be unable to contact the firing pin and then placed it in the builders vehicle.

Friend at SS Nationals years ago. They couldn't clear it, but we're able to get the slide off the frame. Bagged 2 halves separately. Don't remember what the malfunction was. 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, Nik Habicht said:

Moto -- right.  My point was that the competitor would need continuous supervision from a range officer.  And yep -- call the RM, or if you have smith shooting the match, ask for the smith's assistance....

Nik,

That's what I meant when I said, "Under supervision of a range official..."  I didn't mean the shooter could leave with the loaded gun by him/herself.  Sorry if I wasn't clear in the earlier post.

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Nik,

That's what I meant when I said, "Under supervision of a range official..."  I didn't mean the shooter could leave with the loaded gun by him/herself.  Sorry if I wasn't clear in the earlier post.

I could have been dense too..... LOL

had a guy with an open gun break a barrel link, we could not get the slide back, could not get the case out, we ended up having him case it on the line and let the MD/RM know.

Several steps involved:

First, is there a live round in he chamber? Easy to check, just use a squib rod, straight pen or wire tie and measure.  If there is no live round, just have the shooter bag it.

Many times a locked up gun is caused by either a broken link, blown hood or barrel bulge. I have never had a case where we could not either figure out it had an empty case or we could not get the gun unlocked or torn down.  Many times with a broken link it becomes a gunsmith job. We have had several at the SS and once we knew the not able to be fired because of an empty case, we just have the shooter bag the gun. In some cases the slide stop will need to the milled off and the gun pounded apart in the shop. I do not carry a rawhide hammer or deadblow hammer to the range.

In the case of a live round, can we get the gun to fire into the berm? Once you make sure the time is recorded just fire the round.

Now worse case scenario, live round, but it is not close enough to get into battery. Now you need a skilled gunsmith or some knowledge. I have done two things, pried it out enough so I can get the firing pin out or removed the slide if you can get it unlocked. I once saw a gunsmith remove the main spring housing on the line, but it took some time and is not for the faint of heart. Many years ago we had a guy with a witness break a trigger pin and had a gunsmith do that repair under RO supervision on the line.

However, it is rare the first steps do not work.

Remember, two things. First, safety is the primary concern. Second and sometimes hard to deal with, it is not your gun, treat it with the respect you can and still be safe. If I am going to do something potentially nasty to another persons gun, I will get informed consent. Again, getting to this point is extremely rare.

Jay