Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to reloading

sheepdog69

8 hours ago, sheepdog69 said:

recipe for bunny far rounds in 9mm

1.  If you are NOT aiming for any PF, take a light bullet, and load 3 gr of almost any pistol

powder - you'll probably be around PF 110 which is a BF.

2.  If you need to make a certain PF (125), weigh your bullet, fire 20 rounds over a chrono

and average the velocities - then multiply bullet weight  (126.4 grains) x avg velocity

( 1,038 fps) and you get 131,203.2.    Take the first three numbers (and one decimal if you insist) ,

and you have a PF of 131.2.

Now you're better off as a beginner with heavy bullets (147 gr) and fast powders (N320, WW231, etc)

and work up a soft PF 130 load over a chrono.    :) 

Go slowly and learn and have fun....

What Jack said. And smack your friend too.  Shoot what you want and what feels comfortable to you. I admit that I'm a .40 fan and pick them up before 9mm (even though I own a couple I like), BUT if someone likes and is comfortable with a 9mm, then, by all means, shoot it and be happy.  You shouldn't be "forced" to shoot a specific caliber. Bunny farts or not. LOL! 

If you want to make a 40s&w round that will make you laugh, try 3.0 grains of plain Clays and a 180 grain bullet. 

Warning: Being a new reloader, do not take Clays up very high in charge weight. It gets very spikey the heavier the charge weight goes. 

On 6/9/2017 at 5:03 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

What velocity did you get? (c. 800 fps)?

On 6/9/2017 at 6:27 AM, rustybayonet said:

Never crono, but I think it as nerfed as you can go.

If it is that soft, I'd be friggin' paranoid that I'd have a squib load go off because I wouldn't feel the "correct" recoil that I'm used to.  LOL  I'd be afraid to shoot more than one round of something that soft and would be checking the barrel after every shot to make sure nothing was lodged in there.  :surprise:

I've loaded hundreds of those nerf loads - PF 110 9mm.

They're GREAT for very small guns (KelTec P-11) and

for visiting guests who might be a little sensitive to

loud blasts and recoil.

I've never had a squib, and I'd be able to tell if I had one,

even with these very light, pleasant loads    :) 

Cool.  I wouldn't mind loading up a few of those for my wife in 9mm.  She loves her 380, but still isn't so fond of the 9mm.  And forget about my 40.  All of these are with factory ammo.  I let her try my S&W 4006 (full stainless frame) once and she shot it one time and said no thank you and set it down.  LOL.  So, a 40 polymer definitely isn't for her.  

So, I'm wondering that if I did make some nerf/bunny fart loads in 9mm or even 40 if it might even be manageable for her to try again.  She does okay with 9mm factory loads, but I can tell she still isn't super excited about them.  This is out of a normal full size polymer 9mm.  But, like I said, she is okay with the 380 factory loads out of her Walther PK380. 

So far I am only setup to reload .40, but all I need are the dies and the shellplate to load 9mm (and the bullets, primers (if they are different from 40 primers) and cases of course).  That's what I like about rolling your own.  You can basically tailor them to however you like (within safety specs, of course).

What really kills me is my kid (stepson actually) could careless about shooting.  :surprise: :wacko:  Makes me want to cry.  LOL

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

I guarantee that she will laugh when she shoots some 40 s&w loaded with 180 grain bullets and 3.0 grains of plain Clays.

That I would like to see.  I may have to pick some up just to try that. :) It would be worth the cost of the powder just to hand it to her, have her shoot it and when I ask her, "So, how was that?" and have her tell me it was fine (thinking it was a 9mm) and then tell her it was a .40 round.  Just to see her face.  LOL! :roflol:

2 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

That I would like to see.  I may have to pick some up just to try that. :) It would be worth the cost of the powder just to hand it to her, have her shoot it and when I ask her, "So, how was that?" and have her tell me it was fine (thinking it was a 9mm) and then tell her it was a .40 round.  Just to see her face.  LOL! :roflol:

Clays is pretty cheap...if you can find it.

18 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Clays is pretty cheap...if you can find it.

Ohhhhhh...one of "those" powders, huh?  The elusive unicorn powder?  Only have been seen once every 100 years or so?  LOL! 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:58 AM, R1_Demon said:

she is okay with the 380 factory loads out of her Walther PK380.

What really kills me is my kid (stepson actually) could careless about shooting. 

A bunny fart .40 is much easier to shoot than a .380 out of a PK.    ^_^

Set your kid outside, with earmuffs, and a .22 shooting at reactive or moving targets ....    :bow: