Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

training to get to master

This is a great topic.  I appreciate all of the responses.  There's nothing wrong with being a paper M or GM if you are working to back up the classification.  Actually, what does it really matter?  At the end of the day, it's a shooting game.  When Stoeger initially qualified as GM, I'm sure there were comments.  So what.  Anderson qualifying as M...same thing.  Everyone has their buttons of what sets them off.  Ever listen to Stoeger's podcasts?  Hah.  

Well, Rowdy I appreciate someone like yourself who is going after the next percentile of growth.  It's cool to see someone good who wants to get better.  That's what I do professionally for others (corporate world).  I owe you an email as well!

I can't speak to pistol since I have yet to shoot a classifier with mine, but I got a PCC last November and it immediately became my obsession. Shot my first USPSA match and Steel Challenge match in March and I was hooked. I didn't know how the USPSA scoring worked so I shot 178 A's out of about 188, but finished 9th (3rd in PCC) because I was too slow. Shot Steel Challenge and finished 4th overall and 2nd in PCC but forgot to give my USPSA number so I didn't get classified.

In April I shot USPSA but had a gun stoppage that ended a stage after 2 shots, so that put me down to 22nd place for the day, but I did learn how to clear multiple types of stoppages quickly, which has come in handy since. That month Steel Challenge I came in 2nd in PCC and 4th overall, and classified at A. I shot my rimfire rifle for the first time in Steel Challenge and finished 2nd in RFRO and 3rd overall which put me in A class for RFRO as well.

In May I went to the World Speed Shooting Championship for my third ever Steel Challenge shoot. I choked pretty hard in rimfire my first day and finished 27th (third among A class). I calmed my nerves the next day and managed 13th in PCC, and moved up to Master class in PCC. I shot the USPSA match after gaining some confidence from WSSC, and barely lost finishing 2nd overall and 2nd PCC with 99.8%.

I shot June's Steel Challenge and picked up my fist ever overall win with my rimfire rifle, shooting 6 personal best stage times (all GM times) and moved to RFRO Master class. Hope to make GM next match if I can reshoot the two stages I blew at WSSC. I also finished 2nd in PCC again and 4th overall. Also shot my first NSSF rimfire match in June and barely squeaked out a win. My pistol skills are not yet on par with my rifle, but luckily I was able to make up the difference with the rifle.

What helped me get to master so quickly was actually not any dry fire practice as I have very little time for practice with a house full of kids, including a 5 month old, but rather direct instruction from 3 GM's that I shoot with regularly. The feedback they give me before and after each stage is absolutely invaluable, including the advice to read Lanny Bassham's book, With Winning In Mind. Aside from helping to fix my numerous technical problems, Bassham's book has been a huge improvement to my mental game which is/was really holding me back. I had been doing club shoots for many years, but my most marked improvement comes from these two factors. I hope to add time for dry fire soon as it will only help me improve that much more. I also try to watch the best shooters at every match so I can see how they approach a stage (walk through), how they shoot it, and what mistakes they mention (if any) after they finish it. Shadowing shooters that are better than you will definitely make you a better shooter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 1911luvr said:

What helped me get to master so quickly was actually not any dry fire practice as I have very little time for practice with a house full of kids, including a 5 month old, but rather direct instruction from 3 GM's that I shoot with regularly. The feedback they give me before and after each stage is absolutely invaluable

Let's make a deal:  I'll keep helping you, and you'll stop beating me?

Let's make a deal:  I'll keep helping you, and you'll stop beating me?

Hahaha I've had a fortunate day or two, but it's not my fault that you guys are such damn good teachers! In all seriousness, you guys have such a wealth of knowledge that I've only been able to retain and put into practice a small part of what you've shared. I still have a long way to go to perform well without the benefit of having my coaches standing behind me. I am extremely grateful and lucky that I have the opportunity to shoot with you all, as I feel I'm a little bit better after each match we shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 4:18 PM, rowdyb said:

I initially classified as B in production. I was M a year and a half later. I made a goal to make M in a year from starting. It didn't happen. But that didn't deter me.

If you just want to "make M" then all you really need to practice is a surrender draw to 3 partial targets, a reload and then shooting the 3 partial targets either freestyle, strong hand only or weak hand only. There, that's like 60% of the classifiers. You can run the math to know exactly what you need to do on each one to shoot an 85% or greater.

Steve Anderson's "Refinement and Repetition" book is great for teaching you how to make M and GM very quickly.

Set up a classifier, run it and see where you are. Chances are you'll need both better hits and better time. And chances are your draw or reload will need work. But use the data from different places, like azshooters and the classifier subforum here and you'll quickly figure out how to do the math and see where you're at. Lots of people use certain classifiers as a bench mark, like El Pres.

If you have a match with a classifier twice a month and you really work at acing the classifiers, you can make M in a year for sure. Just by practicing a few simple skills and getting really good at them. You'll be M. Sweet! Some people will call you a "paper master" behind your back, or will make extra effort to beat you. So what?

Now, do you want to be an M class who can show up most places and be in contention to win? That's a whole different kind of training. Yeah, skills are skills. But acing a classifier is not the same as shooting a whole match.

RESULTS=EFFORT x TIME. There you go, the formula for success.

This is great advice! I just started USPSA this year and qualified C class. My goal is M by next year. Really ramped up my training lately with setting up on classifiers, videoing, and analyzing my deficiencies. Qualifiers have been the lowest score in matches for me.

Been working in draw and second shot accuracy at 15 yards, weak hand and strong hand. If I can hit A class in a few months I will be pleased.

I have a PCC ready to go and working on an Open Pistol. But I refuse to shoot them till I Master in my current setup. 

That is motivation.

Instead of training to make M or GM, maybe train to be a better shooter all together. If you only practice classifier type skills you can make M but then may struggle in matches. If you train to just be a better shooter your classifier score will improve as well. There are a lot of skills that are needed for this type of shooting and not all are tested when we shoot classifiers. I try to shoot a classifier just like any other stage, risk v/s reward not hero or zero, meaning I see match points not classifier scores. If I have done my part in training I will shoot the classifier well and do it without blazing through hoping I got my hits.

Having a goal is a good thing, and classifiers do help measure your ability to perform certain tasks on demand just don't let it become your only focus if you really want to improve as a shooter.