Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swarovski 1-8 review

Range Report 5-21-17  and 5-30-17

Optic test Swarovski 1-8 BRT

Rifle 308 AR see pic above for build specs.

On 5-21-17 I tested my new Swarovski 1-8 from 100 yards to 400 yards . One thing I really like about this scope is that the clicks are in 1/10 mil which is roughly .36 of an inch at 100 yards. This is perfect in that its not too gross like Vortex 2/10 mil clicks or my Swaro 1-6 .54 (I centimeter) clicks at 100 yards. I also like the fact that the reticle is in mils as is the adjustments.

I purchased the optional ballistic turret which I love. It has a built in zero stop and its locking. With my particular load of a 168 grain Sierra Match King at 2600 FPS (44 grains of Varget, Fed brass, CCI BR primers) I have the hard zero at 100 yards. But I keep it 3 tenths of a mill up. That gives me a 175 yard zero which makes the reticle line up easily for me. For 100 yard targets I am just about an inch high and for 200 yards I am a bit low but not enough to matter. The next hold point is 300 yards and the one after that is 400 yards.  

If I want to dial I just unlock the turret and dial in my dope for the range in question and re lock the turret. In my testing to 400 yards the adjustments were spot on with what my ballistic app said they should be. I was hitting a 4 inch wide by 7 inch tall diamond shaped piece of steel at 400 yards easily shooting prone from a bi pod. I dialed from 100 to 200, 300 and 400 during the testing and back and forth with no wandering zero. The clicks are crisp and firm.

The clarity on this scope is what you would expect from Swarovski at 100 yards I did not need my spotting scope.  The scope power adjustment is smooth and easy. I moved this scope onto my 308 and moved my PA 1-8 off to save weight. I have moved my PA over to a compact bolt gun I will review later.

I am confident in saying this rifle is a 1 moa gun generally some days like today (5-30-17) I do better with my average group for 8 3 shot groups being .83 other days I will average just at 1 inch. I built this rifle to be a light weight precision rifle. I am waiting on my tax stamp to clear and then I will put on my Silcenco Omega 30 can and use it as a long-range patrol rifle at work and with the can off it would make a heck of a 308 3 gun rifle. But I have never shot it in a match.

Swarovski 1-8  Synopsis.

Pros                                                                                   Cons

Super clear                                                                         $$$$$

Repeatable adjustments.

Light weight

Easy to use reticle for speed.

If you can afford it this is an awesome scope. 

ar 10 low rez.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

• 2 months later...

Alaskapopo

I have a question about the BTF on your scope, it is necessary to install the "rings" in order from the closest zero distance to the farthest zero.

correct if I'M wrong, although dont have the BTF yet still in the plan, my original Zero is at 50 yards and want to keep it this way,  planning to put the first ring for my 25 yard. and the rest  of the rings from 100-200-300 yards respectively. So the order of  would be 50 yards, 25, 100, 200,  300 yards. Thanks