Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140gr .40 major recipes?

aandabooks

Picked up some 140gr S&S casting bullets at a match today.  Was told to load with same amount of powder as my 180gr load.  I have previously loaded with Clays but am moving away from this powder for loading .40.  

6 hours ago, aandabooks said:

Was told to load 140 gr casting bullets with same amount of powder as my 180gr load.

Is your 180 gr bullet lead or copper covered?  

If the heavy bullet is copper jacketed, and the lighter bullet is lead, makes sense to

START at the same powder charge.

If both bullets are the same material, that seems a little conservative.

But, you'd have to work up your load, slowly, with a chrono, to make sure you

made .40 Major without going over the limit.

You will not make Major with the 140 using the same load you do with a 180.

I only shoot light bullets from my Open guns, or for Steel Challenge.  With 135gr Rainier plated, 8.3gr WAC with a CCI 500 at 1.126" makes 172PF.

With the Rainier 155gr, 7.1 WAC, or 7.2 Silhouette, or 8.2gr HS-6 makes 172PF.

14 hours ago, aandabooks said:

Picked up some 140gr S&S casting bullets at a match today.  Was told to load with same amount of powder as my 180gr load.  I have previously loaded with Clays but am moving away from this powder for loading .40.  

At first look I thought "wait a minuet" but then I had to check ... as I have just finished shooting up 1000 Bayou 140s (just to see what it was like). 

It hit me funny because I haven't shot a coated 180 for a while ... only copper plated and they take a lot more powder.

Anyhow ... sure enough ... checking the spreadsheet ... I used to shoot 180 Blue Bullets and they would make 170pf loaded to 1.15oal w/ 4.0grs of bullseye.

Loading the 140s with 4.0gr of bullseye at  1.16oal made minor just fine. I will say ... the 140s were .401 and letting them get longer thatn 1.16 would result in them sticking to the rifling in both my Para and M&P (not a biggie ... just the way it is).  B)

edit - Uhhhh ... hope I got the correct intention of your post ... As clarification ... yes .. the 140s work great using the same amount of powder I loaded for my 180s but as others noted ... that might get you major on the 180s but minor on the 140s. :eatdrink: 

Edited by pete627

• 2 weeks later...

I use Ibejiheads 140s, but I load them for my .40 open gun. Currently I am at 176 pf with 7.8 gr WAC at an oal of 1.165". I'm betting you could lower that to 7.2-7.4 if WAC was your choice. You may want to try a faster powder like cfe pistol for a bullet this light in .40

Edited by WestTex

I can't speak for velocities.

I can say that I load 140 grain Missouri Bullets Co. lead (and the coated lead) bullets for my .40 S&W pistols.

I use Herco (6.5 grains works in my pistols but you'll have to confirm if it's safe/reliable in yours).

I get the same point of impact for this load (from 12 yds. out to 20 yds. anyway) as I do for the 135 grain Nosler hollow points sitting on top of an almost max. load of Blue Dot.  I got the Blue Dot load from the Nosler website.

Both loads are accurate and, as I said, they shoot to the same point of impact, so they may be moving close to the same speed.

I shoot them in a P07, a P09 and a TS.

"Old" shotgun powders, I know, but I've got quite a bit of them and they work.

• 1 month later...

I used to load Bear creek 140's with a nice healthy charge of Power Pistol.. As I recall, it made something like 1300 fps at the chrono station.. it was somewhere in the range of 8.5 gr.. I had to use 10 mm data and back off a cpl grains since I was using 40 brass.. this was shot out of a 6.5" - 610.. it put steel down with authority and was pretty loud. I did not get any leading while using the bear creeks. I had to use Fed #100 SPP's.

Herco is my go to powder for my 929 and 147 gr RN coated bullets.. My load for 147's is 3.5 gr of Herco. 

Edited by sargenv