Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA classifier string times

Core3gunner

3 hours ago, Core3gunner said:

I'm trying to find out about were I will place according to each string. 

Thanks!

What exactly are you asking? Can you phrase your question differently?

What I am reading is you asking what are Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert and Master times for each string. The simplest way to do that is take the minimum time for each classification and divide it by 3 (3 stages in the classifier) and just keep track of your progress that way as you're shooting it. That's not exact but until we know more what you're trying to ask....

Those sound like Sharpshooter times if those are your scores after points down.

And like MM hinted at, a score is composed of two things, your time plus points down. So most people are used to hearing a score of 11.52 as something like, "nine fifty two raw and two points down for eleven fifty two" or "eleven fifty two with two down". Some way that conveys your raw time and points down of your total score on a string or stage.

Clean means zero points down.

stage 1

string one i'm 8.80 (-0)

string two 5.12 (-0)

string three 5.30 (-1)

stage 2

string one 8.53 (-0)

string two 4.05 (-0)

string three 3.89 (-0)

stage 3

string one 12.47 (-2)

string two 12.37 (-3)

for a 66.44, these are my times and points down in each string of the classifier, shooting ssp-ma

OK, CDP Sharpshooter time for the classifier is 100.01-150.0 seconds. For math's sake let's just run what it would take to shoot a 125 for you, a middle Sharpshooter time.

stage one, string one you're reporting 11.73.

string two 5.56 and string three for 5.98 for a total of 23.27 on stage one.

stage two you have a kind of el pres for string one and then some shooting advancing and retreating.

let's give you scores of 14.00 for string one and 7.00 for each of string two and three for a total time of 28.00 for stage two.

ok, now you're at roughly 51 seconds for one and two with just two strings in stage three. normally the two hardest strings for people and where most bomb it.

in your hypothetical case, you could shoot a 40sec time on both strings in stage three and make sharp shooter easily. Ending up in the 130's somewhere.

Your string times in stage one are about 27% slower than mine. if you shot the whole thing let's say 33% slower than me you'd end up at right about 100, just on the edge of sharpshooter/expert.

Shoot all of stage one and two with single digit points down. Then put in the work on stage three and you could probably come in EX right off the bat.

• 1 month later...

Breaking down your run it seems you spent 30% of your available time after points down on stage 1, 25% on stage two and 45% on stage 3.  This would make it simple to setup goal times for anyone running an auto gun to figure out what they need to hit to make their individual goal and see which area is lacking.  At the very least, we can isolate which part of our shooting needs the most attention.  Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...

For most the people I see making the move from SS to Expert the 3 stages break down like this

20 - 25 seconds

22 - 27 seconds

45 - 58 seconds

As Rowdy said, Stage 3 is where most people kill a good run. Obviously if you shot the upper end of all three, you would not be expert in anything but revolver. However if you only put one at the high end of those ranges, you could slide into Expert.

• 3 weeks later...

This is really helpful. I mainly model my dry fire practice off the classifier and it always helps to have "par" times to set the timer to and work towards. I have also played rowdyb's video in the background and try to shoot his pace and rhythm.