Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I'm thiking about Nats....

rowdyb

So I'm thinking about idpa nats before I send my application in this year and I have an idea. A not uncommon one either. I've only ever shot ssp at nationals. This year I'm thinking of shooting cdp....... Why? Well I'm still expert in cdp, I've only shot one big match in cdp whereas I've shot a lot in ssp and esp, it's an excuse to get a new gun and finally I'm 45 years old. So something about shooting .45 when I'm 45.

Between now and September I'd have to get a .45 caliber gun. The holster and pouches for it. I'm not buying another 1050 or conversion so I'll have to figure whose ready made ammo to buy. And actually shoot a few local ipda matches with it, realistically that'd probably be about 2 matches the way my current schedule is set up.

1. Am I crazy?

2. Previously I've shot a G21, G41 and Sig220 in local cdp matches, oh like 4 years ago. What are the good non-1911 cdp guns currently?

I think the 97 is CDP legal now and probably was before due to the SSP-ESP/CDP rule.   I know a SAO one was not legal prior to the 2017 change though.  Dropping the FLDC rule out of CDP and ESP should allow you to run a 97 SOA or DA/SA in either.     The only killer on it I can think of is the weight.  I do not think they weigh as much as a SP-01 Shadow but you never know. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

So I'm thinking about idpa nats before I send my application in this year and I have an idea. A not uncommon one either. I've only ever shot ssp at nationals. This year I'm thinking of shooting cdp....... Why? Well I'm still expert in cdp, I've only shot one big match in cdp whereas I've shot a lot in ssp and esp, it's an excuse to get a new gun and finally I'm 45 years old. So something about shooting .45 when I'm 45.

Between now and September I'd have to get a .45 caliber gun. The holster and pouches for it. I'm not buying another 1050 or conversion so I'll have to figure whose ready made ammo to buy. And actually shoot a few local ipda matches with it, realistically that'd probably be about 2 matches the way my current schedule is set up.

1. Am I crazy?

2. Previously I've shot a G21, G41 and Sig220 in local cdp matches, oh like 4 years ago. What are the good non-1911 cdp guns currently?

Geez, you're 45??  Judging from your video, I would have put you in your late 20s..........

I owe you lunch next time we meet, hahahha.

I did a summer buzz cut and am growing a beard, so I look much closer to 45 now.

Edited by rowdyb

can't really help on the guns but check out Orr Tactical for ammo. They are here near Houston, veteran owned, built with USA sourced components only, shoots very nice & averages 170pf out of a 5" 1911.

I built an M&P 45 that I like a lot.  With the apex FSS/Trigger and SSS mag well and base pads it was a fun gun to shoot.  Only problem with it is the lack of weight which depending on your grip strength may not be a big deal.  That said if I were to get serious about CDP I would likely buy a nice 1911 or 2011.

I hear you on not buying another 1050.  They do make SP .45.  Once folks at my club found out I shot it they started bringing me their collections which was pretty awesome.

I dont think you're crazy. I change guns about every three months. I've been itching to shoot a CDP too. We all know that's not the best practice but I'm still trying to figure out what I like. 

Wonder of an accu 97 would be legal?

Edited by B_RAD

Well so far I've gotten an email telling me that for a shooter of my ability nothing less than a 3k$ 1911 will be a good gun for me.

And then another email telling me I don't belong in cdp expert as I'm a master in other idpa divisions and a uspsa master as well.

That all I'm doing is shooting for a trophy rather than stretching myself.....

21 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Well so far I've gotten an email telling me that for a shooter of my ability nothing less than a 3k$ 1911 will be a good gun for me.

And then another email telling me I don't belong in cdp expert as I'm a master in other idpa divisions and a uspsa master as well.

I've had $3-4k 1911s.  They're awesome but a $1,500 one could shoot just as well. I'd shoot a $3k gun if I got the right sponsorship. Meaning free or strong discount. 

As for "shooting for a trophy"..... why not? Folks get bored shooting the same.stuff.  I'm thinking about shooting some single stack because I love 1911s. (Not sure how more much more IDPA I'm gonna shoot)  

A lot of the top shooters shoot different guns. 

Just look who all went to the SS Nats. 

Edited by B_RAD

Any 1k-1.5k 1911 will get the job done in the hands of an experienced shooter such as yourself.SCTaylor is right....soft shooting , Match Grade Veteran Made ORR Tactical ammo will take you to the winners circle. :) Of course...practicing with it while shooting at Ping Time Targets is even better !  ;) 

On 5/22/2017 at 5:30 PM, rowdyb said:

So I once had a guy (whom I respected right up until he said this) tell me that everyone above expert was cheating according to his interpretation of the use of cover rules and then round dumping. When he made master sometime later I asked him how it felt to be a cheater. Cold bank stare. Oh well. 

Shoot whatever you want. It's your money going into this thing. You might as well have fun. I don't think that the accuracy required in idpa will ever necessitate a $3k gun. If they aren't giving it to me...I'm not interested. There's no reason for a 1911 to cost that much. 

10 minutes ago, Forrest Halley said:

Shoot whatever you want. It's your money going into this thing. You might as well have fun. I don't think that the accuracy required in idpa will ever necessitate a $3k gun. If they aren't giving it to me...I'm not interested. There's no reason for a 1911 to cost that much. 

You can certainly get a good 1911 for far less than 3k, and that is more than most people are willing to spend. Do you realize how much time and work go into those custom guns? Have you ever added up what it would cost you just to buy the parts?

I just need a gun so I can show up and have a reasonable expectation I can perform with it. A gun that I gel with and is not a long learning process or something that is slow.

I'm a big fan of Dan Wesson 1911's. They have a PM7 that's a 45 for about $1400. 

S.A. Range officer be even less. You'd have to add grip tape to both. The DW would need a new FO  front sight. The RO would probably need the barrel reamed. 

You could get a Les Baer for about $1700. 

You're probably gonna need to add a FO  Front, mag well, and new grips to all. 

Bad thing about 1911's is they're not as DIY as CZ's.  

If you are just looking at getting a simple 1911, I honestly can say I like my RIA as much or more than any of the other cheap 1911s I have played with (like the RO, Ruger, Para, etc). I have the 9mm for USPSA SS, but they sell the same one I have in a 45... You could buy a Dawson competition ready kit and maybe a different (narrower) front sight, a trigger kit and still be money significantly ahead and just go to town. I don't know anything about IDPA, but as far as cheap 1911s go I have no complaints. 

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=51486&mfg=Armscor&mdl=All&cat=All&type=All&cal=45AP&fin=&sit=&zipcode=97333

On 5/24/2017 at 8:27 PM, Forrest Halley said:

I do actually. I think it's unnecessary. I have built a $2k 1911. If you need the look at me factor...go for it. 

Does that include the time you spent or the cost of the tools? If not, what is your time worth?

If you're used to shooting double stacks, the single stack 1911 reload will definitely be less forgiving. But I also know that you're dedicated to the sport and are willing to put in the dry fire practice.

That being said, our club has very competitive shooters running XDs' and M&Ps in CDP. I have a tendency to buy what I like and spend more than necessary. So for me to shoot a double stack in CDP, I'd choose a 2011. But there are far more value oriented guns to choose from. 

And disregard what people have to say about you shooting in a lower classification in another division.  

Edited by v1911