Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sizing failures

dlightning

dlightning

Rifle chambers and resizing dies vary in size, meaning in diameter and headspace length.

The cases you sized with the Redding bushing die did not fit the JP Enterprise gauge because bushing dies do not size the entire case neck.

The cases you sized with the Dillon die fit the JP Enterprise gauge because the Dillon die is a small base die.

My RCBS small base die only makes the cases .001 smaller in diameter than my standard RCBS .223 die.

My standard Lee FL .223 die makes my case .002 smaller than my RCBS small base die.

Any loaded cartridge that fits the JP Enterprize gauge will fit in any AR15 chamber. And since I'm also loading for my son's AR15 and "Dad" isn't going to be blamed for bad ammo that does not chamber I use a small base die.

Many, many reloaders get by just fine with standard FL dies and many reloaders use small base dies. Just remember Dillon dies are small base dies and made that way for a reason.

I buy bulk Lake City 7.62 and 5.56 cases and have never had a case failure due to a case head seperation using small base dies. What many reloaders do not know is s small base die will push the shoulder back approximately .003 more than a standard die. And the small base dies get a bad rap for case head separations because the reloaders do not use a Hornady cartridge case headspace gauge and measure their "FIRED" cases. And then adjust their dies for minimum shoulder bump.

Bottom line, I have been reloading for over 47 years and have never had a case head separation.

Headspace is also the distance between your ears and knowing how to use it.

Below measuring a fired case from my AR15 carbine and then the die is setup for .003 shoulder bump using a small base die.

H0SXHH8.jpg

Edited by bigedp51