Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right Handed, Left Eye Dominant

• 2 weeks later...

Another long time cross dominant - lots of dry fire and I don't even realize I've mounted the gun on my left eye (I'm right handed) unless I look at myself in the mirror. 

Dry fire a few months and you won't even realize your cross dominant. I'm only talking handgun - for long guns and bows I shoot off my left side (to match the dominant eye).

• 4 months later...
On 6/30/2017 at 9:50 AM, DukeEB said:

This is the video, the point where he says this is pretty early.  I do keep my body square, but no head tilt,

Some clarification, does he mean lock the support wrist, or the strong hand wrist, or both?  Just clarifying as he waves his strong hand every time he says lock the wrist.  Thanks.   Also, with locking the support wrist, I notice a bit lesser grip strength, vs a less canted/less locked wrist, but I guess grip strength should still be enough. 

Edited by sherpa25

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Lefty. Right eye dominant. Been doing this stuff just fine for a decade. Just move the gun over about an inch at arm's distance and it'll line up with her dominant eye. This is absolutely not a thing worth making into any sort of physical issue.

But people who haven't tried the simple solutions make it into this big handicap that it isn't. That's all.

Exactly what I do.  except at times I find it necessary to turn my head ever so slightly to the left to help me achieve a better sight picture. 

Lefty right eye dominant.

I am a professional photographer and know from a life time of raising a camera to my left eye, that I am left-eye-dominant. It has been suggested to me the tape trick but feel like this is the equivalent of making a lefty write right-handed. I do modify my stance a bit to something of a modified Weaver (with my body canted to the right). It's not always possible so I practice drawing to a flat icosolese  stance. My particular "handicap" is very advantageous when shoot around the right side of a wall! I agree with others above, it's something that coaches love to tinker with but the best thing is to let dear wife figure it on her own.

This subject hits close to home for me.  I'm just now starting to get into competition so finding a solution is getting to be more important than my years of just getting by.

I'm just now trying the pistol right hand hold looking with the left eye, but I'm still not adapted to it.

I'm considering using long guns left handed, but I have to get past the mental block of being set in my ways.

This video helped me a little... not sure how to embed here..

https://youtu.be/DV_WTsF_7kM

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DV_WTsF_7kM

• 4 months later...

I'm a lefty with right eye dominance, but for the last 3 months I've decided to go all-in and train my left eye. So far its been very manageable.

HOWEVER...

I was shooting a USPSA match a few weeks ago, and I transitioned from one shooting position to another too quickly, and my right eye took over. f*#kED ME UP. It was embarrassing LOL.

When I was younger and didn’t know my eye dominance. I drew right handed and to my right (non dominant) eye.  To be honest I just learned to shoot that way.  I always shot rifle lefty though.

when I learned about my cross dominance, I started to draw to my left eye.  My shooting actually got worse for a while until I relearned.

what I’m trying to say is... just shoot what feels natural.  And work on making it consistent.