Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sigting in Handgun from Bench?

Smitty79

On 5/16/2017 at 11:36 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I'll repeat earlier advice: don't discount how much more accurately you slow fire on the center of an 8" steel plate than paper. Not until you actually try it.

I shoot for groups benchrested. However, I sight the gun in based on the POI of my freestyle shooting at 25yd on a freshly painted steel plate.

I do the same thing, only different.

I prefer 15 yards. For me, very little changes from near to far at that distance.

• 3 months later...

I sight in all my guns using a Ransom Rest and as long as I do my part, the POA and POI are the same. If they aren't (like in the case of older S&W M&P's it's because the timing of the barrel is off and the barrel starts to move prior to the bullet exiting. This is why Apex redesigned the M&P barrel. 

Also: anyone who uses the excuse that it doesn't matter as the gun shoots better than I do has not spent much time looking at guns with a Ransom Rest. There is a huge difference in accuracy from gun to gun whether it's production or custom. Many things contribute from barrel lock up to the load and OAL of the bullet, but I can tell you there is a big difference shooting a Steel Challenge when you have a gun capable of 1" at 25 yards vs. on that shoots 3" at 25 yards. I may get flack for this comment, but this is what I have found and have actually sold guns that don't hold up to what I believe they should. For example I had an STI DVC Limited that was only capable of 2 1/2" at 25 yards no matter what I did. I now have a 2" threshold where I will get rid of any gun that won't hold that after load development and/or mods. I have a Glock 34 with Bar-Sto barrel I fitted that will shoot 1 1/2" at 25 yards, 2 CZ Compacts that do the same and I can get 1" out of my Atlas Gun Works Titan. 

Bottom line is, if the gun doesn't have a design flaw, it should shoot the same from a Ransom Rest as it does in your hand with proper trigger control.

15 minutes ago, gcozzens said:

but I can tell you there is a big difference shooting a Steel Challenge when you have a gun capable of 1" at 25 yards vs. on that shoots 3" at 25 yards.

Makes perfect sense, effectively you are shooting at a larger plate, given that you have adjusted your shooting speed to insure hits. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Chevy said:

If you zero at 25yds what is your POA and POI at 10-15 yds.. I find I have to aim at 12 o clock to hit center of target10 yrds .. what Am I doing wrong?

You’re saying that you gun gets sighted in at 25 yards, and is shooting dead center... but it then shoots quite a bit high at 10 yards?

What kind of gun, what kind of load, and how long have you been shooting the sport and what is your current USPSA classification?

On 5/17/2017 at 4:19 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I haven't seen any difference in Point of Impact from a benched TruBor

and a  freehand held TruBor, 9mm Major.    :) 

If you suspect there is a difference, I'd do both - shoot from the bench

and also freehand, to confirm your bullets are landing where you think

they're landing.    :) 

this ^

On 5/16/2017 at 9:36 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I'll repeat earlier advice: don't discount how much more accurately you slow fire on the center of an 8" steel plate than paper. Not until you actually try it.

I shoot for groups benchrested. However, I sight the gun in based on the POI of my freestyle shooting at 25yd on a freshly painted steel plate.

‘Never tried zeroing on steel, but having just changed my sights last night, I’ll try it tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, jerkeejoe said:

‘Never tried zeroing on steel, but having just changed my sights last night, I’ll try it tomorrow. 

Bring a can of white paint and use a while circular target, and you’ll love it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

what  i  do  to  replicate  the  freestyle  stance  is  i  bench  my  forearms  at the  same  height  related  to  the target   on a  hunting  Y  stand. that way  i'm benched  and  my  POA   replicates  when i'm  freestyle.  i  can't see  how  my POI  would  be  different  than zero'ing my pistol completely freestyle. if  i  put   my sights  in line   correctly  and  pull the trigger  as  i  should  my POI  is  the same  benched  or  not.

16 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

what  i  do  to  replicate  the  freestyle  stance  is  i  bench  my  forearms  at the  same  height  related  to  the target   on a  hunting  Y  stand. that way  i'm benched  and  my  POA   replicates  when i'm  freestyle.  i  can't see  how  my POI  would  be  different  than zero'ing my pistol completely freestyle. if  i  put   my sights  in line   correctly  and  pull the trigger  as  i  should  my POI  is  the same  benched  or  not.

I sight the gun in bagged and all benchrest style. Shoot the best groups so I know my ammo is good, and sights are centered.

Then switch to freestyle and try to replicate that group size as best I can. Some guns its an inch high or low or something, but usually for me most of my guns shoot the same poi/poa as when they were bagged in.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

40 minutes ago, benos said:

For pistols  I never had any difference between POA and POI  from a sand bagged bench rest.

I had always heard there would be a difference, and I doubted our host a few years ago  -  so I tried it myself.

Took my 9mm Major TruBor and shot at 50 yards - resting the mag on the bench and the barrel on a

sand bag - had to admit that what I had heard for many years was incorrect, and Brian was correct.

NO difference between benched and offhand.    :) 

47 minutes ago, benos said:

For pistols or revolvers in any caliber or velocity, I never had any difference between POA and POI at any distance, when sighting in from a sand bagged bench rest.

i  bench  my  forearms  while   standing up  , thus  imitating  freestyle , because  i  suspect the  ascendant  shot  (from lower  than the  target)  might have  an incidence on POI. then once  fully  freestyle ,  POI  might not  be  replicated ;   that's  why  i  bench  my  forearms  on a  Y stand  hunters  uses  for their  rifles  when they need  to  place  a  quick   shot  while  walking  the bush  ;  i'm standing up  at the  same  height as the target  .