Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

*Edit* Starting load for WST 147gr FMJ

4n2t0

There's a sale on both these powders and I want to buy one or the other, possibly both. I only load 147gr CamPro's (Full copper plated, 0.008 inch thick). I currently use Titegroup to load minor for all my handguns (S&W M&P9 2.0, Glock 17, Glock 34, and Ruger 9E).

1) Does WSF have noticeably more felt recoil than Titegroup? I know it's only minor but will I feel a difference?

2) How dirty are WSF and WST at these levels?

3) Generally how are the SD's and ES's? Does one perform better than the other with 147gr?

P.S. I've searched the $hit out of these powders and my head's spinning, lol. At this point I'm just looking for a little guidance before potentially buying 16 lbs of each.

Edited by 4n2t0

WST works great in 9 minor loads from 124 to 147gr, clean, easy push in the hand ext.

Problem is !!!!!

I've used a lot of WSF in 9mm minor with good results also

I believe WST is a better option of the two for our type of shooting

It's versatile, in the 9 for minor , the 40 for both minor and major, and the 45

I've heard people complain about temperature sensitivity , though I've never had a problem with it at the chrono station from 35 to 95 degrees.

I load it to 132 PF for minor and 172 for major.

SD and ES are good in my guns

7 hours ago, Alaskapopo said:

Rather than buying 16 pounds try one pound of each and do some testing yourself. Honestly not much difference.

That would be the smart thing to do but at 40% off I'm tempted to buy a larger quantity on advice alone. If I were to buy 1 lb of each and test the sale would be over by the time I'm ready with my results.

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

WST works great in 9 minor loads from 124 to 147gr, clean, easy push in the hand ext.

Problem is !!!!!

I've used a lot of WSF in 9mm minor with good results also

I believe WST is a better option of the two for our type of shooting

It's versatile, in the 9 for minor , the 40 for both minor and major, and the 45

I've heard people complain about temperature sensitivity , though I've never had a problem with it at the chrono station from 35 to 95 degrees.

I load it to 132 PF for minor and 172 for major.

SD and ES are good in my guns

I've read that WST gets funky at the top end when pushing a FMJ projectile, I guess that's not the case. Thanks.

Edited by 4n2t0

I went with WST because it's the faster powder, so theoretically it should shoot softer than WSF.

Any starting load suggestions for a FMJ like, CamPro's are thick plated, 147gr projectile? Most of my barrels are 4.25"-4.5".