Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

top end rebuild....what caliber????

kimberacp

So, after cracking my 9mm major slide, I need a new one.    Not sure I want to go back with 9mm for major!    what opinions on other calibers???  Both SC and 9x23 rate up there in price range.

Now am not sure whether it was because of 9mm, that the slide cracked but continuing to use 9mm and have another cracked slide is not worth doing so.     I could have use that money and invest in another caliber.

Any thoughts on another caliber???

thanks

Hello: Do you pick up all your brass? Do you have enough funds for a new barrel as well? If so I would go with 38 super comp. OR stick with 9mm and get a new slide built and shoot it. I am not sure why there are so many cracking slides right now? Maybe the slide is way to light or they maybe machined causing stress risers. I shoot 9mm and like it. I have not had a problem with a cracked slide using STI, Foster and Caspian slides. I don't lighten mine less than 10.5ozs and they balance a little on the back end. Hope this helps and good luck with your new top end build. Thanks, Eric

Stick with 9MAJOR unless you just want to buy brass all the time. If I were to ever move away from 9 it would be to SC not an oddball like 9x23.

9MAJOR didn't crack the slide. 

I have got four years on my 9 major, 60K+ rounds, all 170+PF.   

Still running strong.   if the gun is built properly and you do your part feeding it the right ammunition, the slide should not break!!

2 hours ago, kimberacp said:

So, after cracking my 9mm major slide, I need a new one.    Not sure I want to go back with 9mm for major!    what opinions on other calibers???  Both SC and 9x23 rate up there in price range.

Now am not sure whether it was because of 9mm, that the slide cracked but continuing to use 9mm and have another cracked slide is not worth doing so.     I could have use that money and invest in another caliber.

Any thoughts on another caliber???

thanks

Hi there,

Go 9x25. You will have the loudest gun on the range! :rolleyes:

Super if you want to pick up brass and use an upright C-more, 9 if not. I talked to Will about slides cracking while back. He pointed out that Caspian slides used to have a reputation for cracking. Well, back then Caspian was the most used slide for open guns. When STI slides became much more common, they assumed the "title" for cracking. He says he has seen no trend toward either brand. Out of 3 open guns, I had one slide crack. It was Caspian. I now have an STI,

This, of course, is only one guys opinion but knowing him as I do, I trust his viewpoint.

Hopefully the lawyers will save us from O-10!

Later,

Chuck

• 3 months later...