Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI Trubor

Hey guys, newb here in the open game. I grabbed one of the last new STI Trubors in 9mm major from Brazos before they sold out. 

Bobby at FGW recommends the use of autocomp powder. I currently have w231, 3n38, and silhouette. Should I follow Bobbys advice and use autocomp? I'll be shooting 124 grn bayou lrn bullets, and suggestions on starting loads. 

On another note, anyone successfully shooting minor loads out of the Trubor for use in steel? I imagine I'll have to put a lighter recoil spring, but thought I'd ask. Thanks guys.

A LOT easier to use JHP's - they prevent leading of your comp.  You can use LRN's, but

then you will probably spend a LOT of time cleaning.

I've been using WAC (AutoComp) for 9 years - love it.   Think it and HS6 are The Best

for beginners (Yes, I'm still a 72 year old beginner).

You'll need to start around 6 gr WAC with a 124 gr bullet, at 1.16" OAL, and work up,

slowly, with a chrono.

LOVE my TruBor - good luck with it.    :D

When I first got my Trubor, I tried running some minor PF ammo through it (134 PF), no bueno, couldn't even get it to cycle once. I didn't try other springs because I hadn't planned to shoot minor PF, after testing I ended up with 7gr of Autocomp with a 124 and get 173PF. For me, this is the "Goldilocks" load. But. a bit of warning, every gun is different, my old gun was at 173PF with 6.8 gr Autocomp, when I tried that same load in my Trubor, I got 164PF :angry:

• 5 months later...

Yeah, when I got back into shooting after an 11 year layoff, I noticed people shooting JHP's and

I wondered why they bothered with hollow points for target shooting - but, someone told me

the base of even FMJ's have exposed lead - never noticed that before.

Lots of people shoot lead bullets out of their comps - and they spray the comp with a lube before

the shoot and find it isn't too tough to clean the lead out ...   

BUT, Not Me - I like to just shoot and NOT clean my comp    :) 

29 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Also 115s for life

I started with 115's, but switched to 124's because the powder kept sloshing out

of the cases during the reloading process.

But, thinking of getting back to 115's, until I just read that almost all of the top

Nat'ls open shooters are shooting 124's, and very few shooting 115's   :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've put about 8000 rounds thru my DVC open of fmj with exposed lead base. I have  0 leading in my comp with 9.0 grains of hs6 under it. Everyone says there's more surface area on a HP compared to a FMJ. So I purposely squibbed a variety of HP's and my FMJ to be able to measure the amount of surface area that touched the lands/groves of my barrel. There was no difference. Your results may vary. 

I used 115s btw