Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting classifiers

TheChef1

I have a match coming up this weekend that is 6 stages of classifiers. I'm currently unranked and obviously want to rank well. I shoot pretty well usually about 20th out of 40-60 shooters but notoriously blow classifiers. Any word of wisdom?

There are only two (2) ways to shoot a classifier :

1.  shoot it like it's any other stage, and you'll be classified exactly where your current abilities lie ...

OR

2.  shoot it much faster or much slower than usual, and God Knows Where You'll be Classified

(probably much higher or much lower than your current abilities.

Classifiers are nothing different or special   ...    they're just another COF.  Pretend it's "just

another COF", and have a ball.

BTW, good luck this weekend    :) 

It's just another stage.

Shoot it like any other stage: don't fall into the "all A's or it's death!" trap, either. The last M classifier I shot was 8A, 1B, 3C. Fast.

Push for the best combination of points and time just like any other stage.

And practice draws and reload and one handed shooting in dryfire each night until Saturday, or whenever your match is.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It's just another stage.

Shoot it like any other stage: don't fall into the "all A's or it's death!" trap, either. The last M classifier I shot was 8A, 1B, 3C. Fast.

Push for the best combination of points and time just like any other stage.

And practice draws and reload and one handed shooting in dryfire each night until Saturday, or whenever your match is.

Thats good advice. It seems to be one handed shooting that kills me usually.

1 hour ago, TheChef1 said:

one handed shooting t kills me.

Listen to Memphis - practice that in your living room, with NO BULLETS.

Especially the weak hand only (WHO) - that's a killer, and the transition

from right to left hand    :) 

Shoot it like a normal stage. 

In the olden days, there was a philosophy to shoot classifiers as "Hero to Zero".

The current classifier system (IMHO) has a high hit factor issue with many (subjective term) classifiers. 

Some clubs publish the classifier before the match and people would practice them.

Some club shoot the classifier stage twice; once for the match and once for headquarters.

I agree with some above statements; Draws, reloads and single hand (weak or strong) are the fundamentals of doing well in classifiers.  Speed can triumph accuracy.

In my opinion, you do not want to be some one who rocks classifiers and gets a high classification and tank in matches.  Steve Anderson address this once or twice.

2 hours ago, pjb45 said:

In my opinion, you do not want to be some one who rocks classifiers and gets a high classification and tank in matches.  Steve Anderson address this once or twice.

It depends. While grand bagging is almost universally frowned upon, I'm an avid practitioner of it. I found it to be the one thing that makes me agressively improve, because I hate finishing in the bottom half of my class.

If I manage to eek my way out of A into M? You'll see a sudden flurry of practice at my house.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive never shot a classifier yet. Any tips for success? Im really interested in making this a serious hobby... and I know you have to shoot to compete. Would love to hear what everyone has done in the past and tips for certain classifiers? are there standards to practice?

Work on your grip, dry fire every day, do a ton of reloads.  Do reloads while blind-folded or with your eyes closed.  Feel the shooting.  When doing transitions during dryfire, don't work the trigger at all.  

8 hours ago, sheepdog69 said:

Ive never shot a classifier yet. Any tips for success? Im really interested in making this a serious hobby... and I know you have to shoot to compete. Would love to hear what everyone has done in the past and tips for certain classifiers? are there standards to practice?

Youre asking for a lot in that question. Get to searching and get to reading. Also search Ben Stoeger, Steve Anderson those guys (and some others) write books on this stuff that answer your questions in much more detail than youll find in a couple sentence response youll get from here.

8 hours ago, sheepdog69 said:

Pick up either Steve Anderson or Ben Stoger's dryfire book.

Get faster at standing draws and reloads than everyone else, and better at one-handed shooting with both hands.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 9:13 PM, sheepdog69 said:

im looking forward to my first one and see where i fall? is there a ranking for oh crap!!! lol good luck and quick shooting 

I'm definitely not an expert but on my last classifier I really focused on good hits. Not necessarily all A's but good hits. A mike or no shoot will destroy a stage. It worked out pretty good for me as I got classified B.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not saying go slow but don't shoot beyond your capabilities. If you get a mike or no shoot on a low round count stage its devasting to hit factor. I know all to well I shot an 8 shot classifier this weekend and ended with a zero because I had two mikes in the black right of the a zone. The target was painted black everywhere but the middle and the second target I pulled to mikes right in sure from over transition or transitioning to fast.

Amen to the no shoot on a low round count classifier... Pay attention to partial targets. Slow down if you need to. I shot a decent match for me yesterday. But a no shoot on a low Rd count classifier tanked my HF which was good otherwise.

I've found the idea of match mode (see Steve Anderson's books /podcast) is really helpful when I'm shooting a stage - 

"I will see my sights on every shot"

In fact, practicing match mode nightly till the classifiers will be helpful to get the most accurate score (your current level of skill).